Home Fly Fishing

Exotic Fishing

CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 134 Deckhand
Its that time of the year when the berries fall from the trees and the carp bite is red hot. Brought my brother down and we had a nice double up on carp. His being much bigger than mine and pretty good size for him using a 3wt. I think carp are pretty underrated in south florida. They are spook very easy and watching a 20+Lb fish eat a fly off the surface is always great. Once the sun came out and the water started to heat up we turned out attention to peacocks. Probably caught about 30 with my brother getting a nice males at about 4lbs. Sadly he hooked the females that was with it that was probably 7-8lbs but she spanked him on the 3wt. I'm not much one to talk as I had a nice shot at a school of baby tarpon that i thought i spooked but they they came back in for the eat and i missed the hookset. Throw in some cichlids, jaguar guapote, largemouths and oscar and we had a pretty decent day.  

Replies

• Wra22Wra22 Posts: 233 Deckhand
    I would like too see a picture of your carp fly if possible. Thanks in advance. 
  • CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 134 Deckhand
    Nothing crazy for the flies. Just try and match the hatch for the red berries that fall into the water. Biggest things are trying to match the right size, color, and using a black hook. Carp have very good eyes and if your fly isn't right they will turn off it very hard and spook all the other carp around. 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,469 Captain
    edited March 22 #4
    Seems like Carp have a tendency to swat something they aren't sure of.  I guess.

I've fished many times on the Colorado River at Palo Verde Dam near Blythe, CA for Striped Bass and done fairly well, pitching a 1/4 oz jig head with white curly tail right into the white water of the outflow gates.  I'm a bit fanatical about sharpening hooks and keep a grooved honing stone tied to my knot tying jig to touch them up.

One day in December, 2009, I hooked into a dandy that had me scrambling over the heavy rip-rap chasing it.  Very powerful fish that I couldn't hold in the current on 20# test.  Over about 20 minutes or so, it took me ~100 yards or so downstream and I finally got a look at it.  Migawd ! ! !

When I got it to the bank, it turned out to be a huge Carp - at least as long and thick as my leg.  I didn't realize they got that big.  That thing taught me some respect.  It was tail hooked - my needle/razor sharp hook had caught it by the tail - stuck into one of the big scales there - and it really led me on a chase.  What Fun, eh ??

That winter I hooked several smaller Carp that way and a couple of times just brought in a large scale pinned to the hook.  Seems like that's a thing with Carp - swat the strange thing with the tail.

When carp seen something they don't like the turn off it very hard. Usually results in spooked every other fish around. I can see how you would snag them alot if fishing a moving lure. 
    It is fun to watch them come up to the fly and check it out for a few seconds before deciding to eat or spook off the fly
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Those berry flies look great.  A few years ago I was making berry flies to try to fool tilapia that were staked out under an overhanging ficus tree.  Every little rustle of wind would shower the berries into the water and the tilapia would crash them just like a school of snook crashing whitebait chummers.  But the amped-up tilapia were surprisingly fussy about taking a fly.  I discovered that the key to getting them to take my (more crude than yours) berry flies was in how they were weighted.  They needed to float mostly submerged, like an iceberg, for the tilapia to take them.  That was just how the ficus berries floated.  Took just the right amount of lead wire on the hook shank to make it work.
    Those berry flies look great.  A few years ago I was making berry flies to try to fool tilapia that were staked out under an overhanging ficus tree.  Every little rustle of wind would shower the berries into the water and the tilapia would crash them just like a school of snook crashing whitebait chummers.  But the amped-up tilapia were surprisingly fussy about taking a fly.  I discovered that the key to getting them to take my (more crude than yours) berry flies was in how they were weighted.  They needed to float mostly submerged, like an iceberg, for the tilapia to take them.  That was just how the ficus berries floated.  Took just the right amount of lead wire on the hook shank to make it work.
    I learned the same lesson. That is why i am using the beefier hook. This berry fly floats with really only the top half out of the water. 
    Also use dark colored hooks. Silver hooks will spook many fish.
    The berries will catch carp, cichlids, tilapia Oscar and bluegills. 
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 134 Deckhand
    CWFlies said:
    Nothing crazy for the flies. Just try and match the hatch for the red berries that fall into the water. Biggest things are trying to match the right size, color, and using a black hook. Carp have very good eyes and if your fly isn't right they will turn off it very hard and spook all the other carp around. 
    Is that the Glo-Bug hook? I love those for grass carp
    CWFlies said:
    Is that the Glo-Bug hook? I love those for grass carp
    Yes that is a Gamakatsu C14s #2. With berry flies you want a dark colored hook so the carp have a harder time seeing it plus a nice wide gap for better hookups, and you want a heavier hook so the berry float natural (Half under the water not 100% floating on the surface.