Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Redfish Catching Secrets Revealed

BattlefishBattlefish Jacksonville, FLPosts: 399 Deckhand
Take Look, $2.50 lure does it all. 

Fishing YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyKdiam7vzvGthpaR1Anrdw 

BattleFish

Replies

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,642 Captain
    Very nicely done video, thanks, but you have a soft voice and I had trouble understanding you on these little speakers.  I've asked on this forum about powered speakers with no real help.  The ones I've bought in the past haven't been much good and hate throwing good money after bad.
  • ColoradoWaltColoradoWalt Posts: 78 Deckhand
    Great video! New to fishing Jax so it should help. What circle hooks are you using on the Bomber?
  • BattlefishBattlefish Jacksonville, FLPosts: 399 Deckhand
    gogittum said:
    Very nicely done video, thanks, but you have a soft voice and I had trouble understanding you on these little speakers.  I've asked on this forum about powered speakers with no real help.  The ones I've bought in the past haven't been much good and hate throwing good money after bad.
    Yes I'll work on that the wind background does not help much either. I find headphones work best. But I can definitely fix the sound mixing. Thanks. 
    Fishing YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyKdiam7vzvGthpaR1Anrdw 

BattleFish
    edited March 2021 #5
    Great video! New to fishing Jax so it should help. What circle hooks are you using on the Bomber?
    Nickel plated, you'll need split ring pliers or very strong fingernails. about $1.78 for 6 or a box for about $6. 

BattleFish
  • tagtag Posts: 9,644 Admiral
    edited March 2021 #6
    Nice video to watch while having my morning coffee. I kind of agree on the voice but it got easier to hear you as the video went on. I like how you utilize the back bench area of your boat for stowage. Subscribed to your channel. 
    tag said:
    Nice video to watch while having my morning coffee. I kind of agree on the voice but it got easier to hear you as the video went on. I like how you utilize the back bench area of your boat for stowage. Subscribed to your channel. 
    Thank You. That back seat was level with the deck, I used 1/2" StarBoard from Home Depot and raised it high enough to get a milk crate and a half under it. I have long legs too. Thanks for viewing. 

BattleFish
    I am pretty much convinced, after more than 50 reds caught this winter till today when we caught five, two keepers in the St Johns, lost a 25" plus at the boat, THAT redfish will eat anything. the secret is finding them. Yo-Zuri and Electric Chicken paddletail today in the St Johns Orange Park Lodge area 5-6 feet of water. 

BattleFish
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,427 Admiral
    One of the upsides of cleaning fish for a living is that, if you are curious you have the opportunity to inspect stomach contents of all manner of fish.......alligators too......but that's a different and somewhat smellier story......

For what it is worth here are a few things learned............

1. Big trout love pogies......at least on this coast.
    2. Trout of all sizes on the Gulf side eat far more pinfish than on this coast.
    3. Surprising how few shrimp we found in trout.
    4. Funder love squid......though.....the species we catch the most of here less so. And yes....multiple species here too.
    5. Redfish prefer crabs. Sure......they eat other things......but number one in their stomachs was always crabs of one species or another.

Now the value of knowing redifish like crabs is that it explains why we've caught so many of them on firetiger crankbaits over time. That bait especially when fished in 3-5 feet of water and when it's a model that will dig the bottom a bit looks a whole lot like a small carb kicking along in a hurry. Same thing can be accomplished with a Rat-L-Trap dredged across the bottom.

I've cleaned a few reds here that had eels in them. And cigar minnows. 

BattleFish
  • redbone440redbone440 Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Many years ago I used to fish that creek using the venerable gold Johnson weedless spoons.  Wouldn't catch large numbers of reds, but some real nice ones - upper slot size.   Largest I caught up that creek was a 35 inch one who hit a suspending plug - a Hot Flash - some of you old timers might remember that one.