Home General Paddle Craft

Rigging checklist for a new yak

bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 778 Officer
So I ended up buying 2016 Native Slayer Propel 13 that had been used twice since purchase. Took her on a test drive and everything seems in great shape, hull had no visible defects and the drive was silky smooth. Currently I'm writing up a list for everything I'll need (and want) to fully kit out this yak for fishing inshore and nearshore in SW Florida. I already have a milk crate with mounted rod holders, a gunnel mount rod holder, rod leashes, paddle/holder, aerated bait bucket, high-rise seat, spike anchor, and claw anchor. Below is the current list, I'm looking for suggestions if anything else should be on there or if anything seems unnecessary. Pics of the (partially) rigged yak are attached as well. Thanks for all the advice and help on the previous post, made my job way easier!  

Rigging list:
PFD
Front hatch cover
Extra scupper plugs
Anchor trolley
Propeller indexer
Cooler/fish bag
New rudder (depending on how I like the tracking on this after a few trips)
Fishfinder (depending on how much I spend)
Phone mount
Gunnel rod holder
Bilge pump (also depending on how much I spend)

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.

Replies

• cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 369 Deckhand
    edited March 16 #2
    Congrats on the new kayak! Looks great. I can't think of anything else, maybe a safety flag with light but it's not necessary unless you'll be out in the dark. What kind of pfd are you going to get? I decided on a high back one, only problem is that i didn't get one with big storage and i'm regretting it. If youre going to be wearing a pfd all the time, especially a bulky one, it should have plenty of storage. The inflatables are good too and more comfortable than the foam ones. Also the anchor trolley is really convenient. Just got the first one on the outback and it makes things much easier. Can't believe i didn't get it sooner, worth every penny.

edit: wheels? 
  • krashkrash Posts: 727 Officer
    Don't forget the kitchen sink  :)
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,567 Captain
    Where you gonna put you ??   :/
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 778 Officer
    Congrats on the new kayak! Looks great. I can't think of anything else, maybe a safety flag with light but it's not necessary unless you'll be out in the dark. What kind of pfd are you going to get? I decided on a high back one, only problem is that i didn't get one with big storage and i'm regretting it. If youre going to be wearing a pfd all the time, especially a bulky one, it should have plenty of storage. The inflatables are good too and more comfortable than the foam ones. Also the anchor trolley is really convenient. Just got the first one on the outback and it makes things much easier. Can't believe i didn't get it sooner, worth every penny.

edit: wheels? 
    Wheels are a good idea yeah. I'm able to lift the hull on my own without too much issue, but would rather not do that and then carry everything else to it separately when I want to rig up. Going on the list. 

I've only really been looking at foam PFDs. How much more expensive is a reasonably priced inflatable one?
    gogittum said:
    Where you gonna put you ??   :/
    That there seat
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,567 Captain
    bigfinn35 said:

I've only really been looking at foam PFDs. How much more expensive is a reasonably priced inflatable one?
    I bit the bullet years ago and bought a good grade inflatable.  Believe me, it's well worth the extra cost.  Very well worth it.
    bigfinn35 said:

I think the reason i didnt get the inflatable is that i couldn't find one i was looking for. I didn't want one that would automatically go off if i went in. Also didn't want to deal with the co2 tubes. that being said i just found a $50 one that is manual, pull to go off lol. The foam one i got is comfortable and not hot too hot in the heat. i think it was around 100. the brand is astral, but like i said if i could do it again i would get one with bigger pockets. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,774 Captain
    Congratulations on your new Kayak!
  • Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 74 Deckhand
    edited March 18 #10
    Very nice kayak!  Way to go!
    Boga, pliers, washcloth,sponge, whistle
    I put what I call my Safety Kit in a small dry bag with my First Aid Kit =  Mirror, glow sticks, lighter. I velcro the drybag inside the hull.
    Print out some Float Plans. Always let someone know where you are.  I fill it out and leave it in the truck, take a picture of it and text to my wife.
    You're going to have more fun than you're prepared to have right now.

2014 Hobie Sport
    Very nice kayak!  Way to go!
    Boga, pliers, washcloth,sponge, whistle
    I put what I call my Safety Kit in a small dry bag with my First Aid Kit =  Mirror, glow sticks, lighter. I velcro the drybag inside the hull.
    Print out some Float Plans. Always let someone know where you are.  I fill it out and leave it in the truck, take a picture of it and text to my wife.
    You're going to have more fun than you're prepared to have right now.

Good idea on the float plan. Took it out for the first time yesterday and had a ball, was able to load so much gear compared to my old one. Some fun sheepshead/mackerel/snook action in Sarasota, felt so much more mobile and stable! Anchor trolley was great, I always hated anchoring in my old yak.
  • Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 74 Deckhand
    That's great!   Where did you end up going for your "sea trials"?
    2014 Hobie Sport
    New Pass in North Sarasota Bay. Taken it out in some canals and bays down near Venice inlet as well now
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,546 Captain
    spare short canoe type paddle in case your main paddle gets away from you during a fish fight.
    Giimoozaabi
  • krashkrash Posts: 727 Officer
    spare short canoe type paddle in case your main paddle gets away from you during a fish fight.
    Paddle leash is the best insurance to prevent a paddle just getting away from you.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,546 Captain
    krash said:
    Paddle leash is the best insurance to prevent a paddle just getting away from you.

i kayaked for over twenty years and i always used a paddle leash however their are times when the leash can get tangled up with the fishing line in a heated battle and needs to be released. They make small emergency paddles for this reason.

Giimoozaabi
    krash said:

i kayaked for over twenty years and i always used a paddle leash however their are times when the leash can get tangled up with the fishing line in a heated battle and needs to be released. They make small emergency paddles for this reason.

My brothers paddle snapped in half a couple weeks back. We were offshore and he paddled back like a madman with half a paddle. Would have been nice to have a back up, or even one of those emergency telescopic paddles. I would have given him mine as i have pedals but we were separated.  It's always good to have multiple ways to get back to the launch if possible. 

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,774 Captain
    krash said:

My brothers paddle snapped in half a couple weeks back. We were offshore and he paddled back like a madman with half a paddle. Would have been nice to have a back up, or even one of those emergency telescopic paddles. I would have given him mine as i have pedals but we were separated.  It's always good to have multiple ways to get back to the launch if possible. 

Exactly.... always have a backup.