Home General Freshwater Fishing

Favorite Fishing?

altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 726 Officer
After all these years, I like floating down a river 
and pitching crickets  next to the bank for bream best of all.

The simplicity of it all takes you back to old days. 
Stopping on the bank and frying them up ain't bad neither.

What's your favorite fresh water fishing?
We can do saltwater another time.

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,189 Admiral
    I like that too but I use beetle spins.  Used to use crickets.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,612 Captain
    Pitching a plastic worm and working it nice and slow for bass. On foot even better.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 726 Officer
    Do love me a beetle spin too, but as my daddy told me years ago.

If the lord took all the hunting and left walking behind a pair of pointers,
    shooting quail and took all the fishing except bream fishing, I could still be a happy man. 
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,177 Officer
    Slow trolling beetle spins and minnows for specks. Preferably paddling a canoe. 

Sometimes I really miss living on the lake. 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,463 Captain
    I'm really looking forward to just that.  Just gotta get the motor on that fool boat working.  Now a carb stud is stripped and heli-coiling it is going to be a real struggle
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 625 Officer
    I love a nice casual after-work hour of bass fishing at dusk on foot. Just one rod, one bag of soft plastic flukes, and an extra hook or two. 

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,636 Moderator
    Ultralight , small rapala or beetlespins floating a river.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,593 Captain
    I love casting a fly in the spring for bream. Non stop action and finished before 0900 before it gets too hot. A good speck bite is a
     close second.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,652 Captain
    Tight-Lining grass shrimp with 4 ft. of line on a 10 ft. cane pole on a bream bed where you can see the bream making bubbles and knocking the grass and pads around while the air smells like watermelon. That spot that you never have to move to fill the boat. Won’t be long. 

Specks in the sticks are a very close second. Last Sunday. 

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Got 12 nice specks this morning 
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Beetlespin for bluegill is hard to beat.  But I think tossing foam spiders on a 3-weight flyrod might be more fun.
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 242 Deckhand
    A grub on a 1/8 oz. jighead is my go to. Catches fish in both the fresh and salt. Can be worked a number of different ways. 
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    Bass fishing off the bank with a Texas rigged 7” worm.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,642 Captain
    Floating down a river or creek, in my kayak, throwing a worm for a bass.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    Tip your beetle spin with a tiny piece of peeled shrimp.  Get live ones and you can just put them in a baggie and put it in your cooler.  Cut a tiny piece of tail and no shell on it.  This will dramatically increase strikes and hook ups.  Redbellies, stumpnockers, and bluegill cant stand it.
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,177 Officer
    When slow-trolling for specks I would tip my beetlespin with a small piece of bacon fat, about the size of your pinky fingernail. They definitely seemed to hit more and especially hold on longer with it. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,198 Captain
    I really enjoy catching about any panfish that bites. Probably favorite is Shellcrackers in the grass on a cane pole. They can make the line sing when you and the fish both put tension on it.
    swampdog said:
    I really enjoy catching about any panfish that bites. Probably favorite is Shellcrackers in the grass on a cane pole. They can make the line sing when you and the fish both put tension on it.
    I've got a couple of bamboo poles cut and curing for just that and really looking forward to it.  Question - how do you get them to straighten out ??  I drilled holes and drove screws into a work table to hold them with the tips curved up, then hung weights from the tips.  After a week, they'd yielded/bent to where the curve was off to the side again.  Starting to look more like snakes than fishing poles.

I guess it doesn't really matter.....??  Just rig it so the tip is pointing down when you fish ??  It would be hard to do otherwise.  Mine are about an inch at the b.u.t.t and ~15 ft long. 

Just gotta get that d.a.m.n.ed Force motor running and get that little boat in the water.  Now it's the water pump.
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 726 Officer
    Any cane pole fishing is great fun.
     I will confess however the benefits of the collapsible "bream busters", in carbon really outweigh  whatever bad thoughts I may have about the "purity of the sport".
     The line sings just the same.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,435 Officer
    Watching the bobber is very basic. A simple pleasure.
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,502 Captain
    Sight fishing the flats!

• 10kman10kman Posts: 844 Officer
      Favorite fishing.......Saltwater.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,873 Captain
    I enjoy it all!... enjoyed crappie fishing the last couple months, now I’m ready to see a big blackfin crash my kite baits...Nice to have as many options as we do here in Florida.
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 158 Deckhand
    A zoom Junebug utail Texas rig. On the butler chain in Orlando. The first time I threw this worm into the water on this chain was in the mid 80s. In one afternoon I caught 3 9pound bass At least one of them was 10 pounds. I called them 3. 9pounders To be conservative. After almost 40 years of fishing this chain of lakes. It’s still a great worm old-school and extremely very productive. I bet I have gone through over 250 packs of zoom June bug utail worms. 7inch.Good luck
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Gogitum.   Have you tried hanging the bamboo as it grows by the tip with the heavy end down ? May also depend on humidity 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,246 AG
    Favorite fishing is down in the keys.  Get up around 7, eat a nice breakfast have a cup of coffee.   Head out around 830.   Fish til around 1200 head back in.  Pickup the girls, head to the sand bar.   drink a beer or 3.   go back to the place for a nap.   Get up around 530 make dinner, go out into the gulf around 730 to watch the sunset come back to the house for more drinks.   Get up  do it all over again.     
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    Gogitum.   Have you tried hanging the bamboo as it grows by the tip with the heavy end down ? May also depend on humidity 
    Haha.....nooo....only thing around here tall enuf to do that would be one of the big Oak trees in the yard.  I'm not up for climbing one of those.  Maybe 60 or 70 years ago.  Not a big deal - they aren't bad and they'll be bent in use anyway.  Just a kind of lark to fool around with.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,593 Captain
    I enjoy it all!... enjoyed crappie fishing the last couple months, now I’m ready to see a big blackfin crash my kite baits.
    This is largely true for me as well. I have caught swordfish, marlin, and tunas that were over a thousand lbs. I even caught a pilot whale once. The truth is, I get just as excited watching a old school plastic bobber go under from a speck bite, or a popper getting slurped from the surface by a ravenous bream as I do battling a biggin from the deep blue. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,198 Captain
    edited May 8 #30
    To assist our new Floridian Mr. Gogitum: tie some paracord to a small object with enough weight to toss it over the oak limb and then tie the cane poll to it and pull it up as high as you need to. I’ve seen a buddy stick the thin end of a cane pole into a piece of pvc for drying straight. Then go fishing with whatever you have while your cane pole is drying. We never cared a whole lot if our poles were a little bowed on the end. Growing up we’d stick several through the open window of the sedan with the butts on the floor, and someone holding them together while heading to the river. Old days when the car was very utilitarian. 
  • flagoldflagold AbbevillePosts: 750 Officer
    tankered said:
    Slow trolling beetle spins and minnows for specks. Preferably paddling a canoe. 

Sometimes I really miss living on the lake. 
    Lived on the saltwater for 30+ years, but Connie and my shared experience as youngsters was living on freshwater, bank fishing.  We decided to get back to that before it was to late.  It's wonderful, we've never looked back at the corporate looking box that had been our "dream home" on the salt.  An old fishing camp atop the spawning grounds suits us just fine now and if 4 cars go by we wonder if something happened somewhere.  Hope you make it back to the lake some day as well.
    Flying Low: https://youtu.be/-pfKRDwJpPE
    Zebco 33 Buyer's Guide: https://youtu.be/Tg917tVFrM8
    Daytona Rig: Any Depth Water Snag Free: https://youtu.be/eCruAntyeW4
    Rebuild Grandpa's Zebco: https://youtu.be/_4BTSEVcbQ4
    Bomb Holes, Wrecks, Reefs How To ID & GPS: https://youtu.be/b5ljdWyLR5I
    Fish Attractor That Works: https://youtu.be/ushkhZUxUWg 
    Big Sheepshead With Snails: https://youtu.be/gqE0az7WqH4