Home Boating

FUEL FILLER HOSE ON 1986 AQUASPORT

snapperwhippersnapperwhipper Posts: 126 Deckhand
 Darn , I replaced my gas  tank in my 86 17' aquasport about 8 years ago and also replaced hoses to vent and to motor but I couldn't
remove the fuel filler hose, it just would not come out. I pulled ,twisted and  cussed but it would not come out. Now of course the last time I put gas in the boat some ( a lot ) gas leaked into the bilige and out the drain plug in the transom, NOT GOOD. I can see the top of the tank through the inspection plate on the deck above the tank and every thing looks ok The tank is almost full and no gas is leaking , and I don'T
 smell any gas. I believe the problem is the filler hose, has any one replace this hose on a 17' aquasport
and if so HOW THE HECK did you do it. Thanks in advance Mike
When all else fails...jiggle that wire:\

Replies

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,482 Captain
    Is there any kind of access panel on the inside near the fill?   Thats what I have seen on quite a few boats.  Usually, a pie hatch. 

Unfortunately, I helped a buddy replace his tank and hoses on a 17ft key west, and we did it while the console was off and tank out.  I could not see how its possible to get the old hose out without that kind of access, as it was foamed in and very difficult to bend/move/straighten. 

Can you see the fuel fill hose attached to the tank?  Perhaps, you could put the fuel fill on top of the console, and route the hose down to that connection?

maybe someone else with that boat will chime in.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,244 Captain
    edited March 2 #3
    You're in a tough spot since all that's needed for a boat to go POP, are fumes from a leak anywhere in or around that fuel tank... 
    First things first - move the boat outside - you don't want a leaking fuel situation in any enclosed area... Next - can you access that hose where it's mounted on the fuel tank?  If so undo it there and if it's welded to the tank fitting,  undo the clamp(s) then cut it lengthwise so you can fit a screwdriver up into the cut edge and pry that old hose off of the fitting.... 
    If you have been able to get one end off now for the other end.... Instead of trying to remove it simply remove the entire fuel fitting and remove it and the hose where it will be much easier to deal with... and of course once again remove any clamps then cut the hose lengthwise where it meets the fuel fitting and then pry it away from the fitting.  Most fuel fittings are brass or chrome on brass (or bronze) and will last as long as the boat itself.  It's the hoses that break down over time... That old hose will make a great pattern for the new hose you're going to install - then attach to the tank first - then install the fuel fitting onto the other end and mount back on your hull - making sure not to kink the hose in the process... One other thought is that it's entirely possible that your vent hose is your problem so take a look at it as well... Vent hoses are tough to work on in any installation...

Hope this helps and post up how the repair goes.  Because there's fuel involved I wouldn't use an power tools around a gas tank or related gear... If you're not able to reach the top of your tank it might be a job for a pro... and end up needing to pull that tank to make the repairs needed... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • snapperwhippersnapperwhipper Posts: 126 Deckhand
    first thanks for the comments, yes the boat is outside and every hatch is open to ventilate the thing in order to get to the gas tank I have to remove the T top and console take out the batteries then it does have a deck cover that covers the fuel tank and that Has to come off it’s a big job I did it when I replaced the tank eight years ago i’m just going to have to decide if I am up for all this work Or do I just want to try to sell it like it is I’m getting to be an old dude not sure if I can do this again I’m going to give it a hard look I thinking long about selling it because I really do like it. I watched the videos on classic aqua sport site and other guys had the same problem and it was a major battle to get the thing out and install a new one just going to try to figure out if I’m up for all this.

Heck, before I would sell her, put a portable gas tank on the deck and use it until you cant! 
    Well MM I have thought about putting a portable tank in there it would certainly be in the way but I could use the boat another option is to relocate the batteries from under the console and put a tank under the console which would work sort of ,I got a buddy who says he’s willing to help me do this job so given it some serious thought I will post The end results
    You could put a "permanent" metal/platic tank under the console and run the vent/fill hose to the top or side of the console.  I had a few buddies do that on boats without a below deck.   1 was a tunnel hull skiff, and the other was a carolina skiff, the other was a large 20' alum boat.  

Again, IF, you can access the fuel/vent fitting on the existing tank, you can run new hoses vertical through the console and do the same.  The 1.5" fuel hose does NOT like to flex easily.

If you leave the console doors off, I would feel comfortable with a regular red portable tank under the console.   I imagine 12-18gal will give you plenty of range for a 17ft boat. 

If it was my boat, I would use a cheaper portable 12gallon and use that.  Strap it to your seat and go fish!
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,550 Captain
    You remind me of a story about gas supply.  I'll see if I can find the story of my trip up Dworshak Reservoir in Idaho and publish it here.  I had an 18 gal tank to feed the 50 hp Tohatsu on my 16 ft Glen L boat, the Dustbuster.....and used it.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,563 AG
    how difficult would it be to pull part of the cap off?   Would that make getting to the fitting possible?  or is it all under the deck? 
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 368 Deckhand
    I would think there must be an access plate to where the fill hose connects to the tank...I've owned 10 boats and never had one that didn't have access to that area, along with gauge sender access in similar area.
    New to me 9-17-2020 2008 Donzi 38 ZSF 3 X 300 Verados
    This is what I love about this website Melbourne Mark has given me a great idea the current fill hose does go from the gunnel under the deck and apparently it’s patched in foam or something but I do have access to the top of the tank if I just remove the T top and the console and then the deck plate over the tank. Yes this is a PITA but it is doable with some help from a friend I really do like this boat and I’ve owned it over 20 years so I really don’t want to get rid of it , then I could run the proper hose from the console to the gas tank that should be easy. Why the heck didn’t I think of that. Thanks Melbourne Mark🌴
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,563 AG
    Good luck with the repair!   
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
    Good luck!  

I would be curious to know if you can reach the fill-barb via the pie hatch inside the console, without removing the ttop/console?  Heck, cut a 2nd pie hatch, or enlarge the existing hole.  I would do whatever I could to NOT have to remove the console/ttop! 
    I spent the morning trying analize the best way deal with this problem,.there is a access plate over the sender but the plate over the fill cap is off by about 4 inches. I looked under the plate access hole with a flashlight and a mirror and all I can see is it is double clamped at the tank and it looks good  ??  there is about 1 1/2 inches clearance between the deck and the tank. The hose to the motor is clamped and looks good, the hose to the vent I can't see but I can feel the clamp.To get access to the fill cap the deck is going to have to come off
    there is just no other way. over at the fill cap on the gunnel there is a plate and when you remove it you can see/feel the hose
    where it goes down to the bilge then it disappears into the bilge and must be about 3 1/2 foot long to reach the tank.
    Well the task at hand is clear and I had better get started before it gets to hot!
    "Aren't boats fun"?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,546 Captain
    edited March 7 #16
    You could use jig saw and cut open an area to reach the top of the fuel filler hose and then cover this new access hole with an access hatch after inspecting the clamps for tightness etc.. (They make all kind of access hatches in various sizes). If you have to replace the filler hose you might have to remove the deck plate over the fuel tank and cut the filler hose into pieces to be able to pull it out from the top and bottom. A new hose could be installed that is more flexable.
    Giimoozaabi
    Another alternative might be to replace the access hatch you have... with a larger one that would provide the access you need to the fill hose- but would it also allow you to reach that vent hose?  

Lastly are you certain that one of your hoses is the problem?  Fuel tanks that were foamed in place are notorious for having corrosion problems causing them to leak and absolutely require a new tank... 

That’s why most times you actually need to be able to access the entire tank to be certain it’s not the tank itself that’s your problem...

”Aren’t boats fun?”
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666