Home General Freshwater Fishing

Top catfish rivers

I live just north of Orlando but I've been thinking about a catfish trip up around Apalachicola NF or in that North Florida area. I'd camp out and do bank fishing for catfish.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Replies

• altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 55 Deckhand
    Oclocknee is great catfish river, but most of it needs a boat. To camp and bank fish best bet is Porter Lake,
    middle of national forest, 30 miles from anywhere and bank is open enough to bank fish. Check the NWS website for
    River levels, below 8 ft is best. good luck.

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,461 Moderator
    edited March 2 #3
    Welcome aboard altuck ! Thanks for pointer.
    Some of the dams have bank access . Doubt you can camp but campgrounds should be near ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 55 Deckhand
    capt,
     I guess I should apologize, my reply was a little short and I am seeing in another thread, that there is no reason to be that way.
    The OP asked about camping, bank fishing and ANF, I camp and fish the ANF area a good deal, mostly by boat. At Porter Lake the forest service has a campground and you can walk to the water to fish. Actually you could setup your tent where you could fish out of your sleeping bag.
    Last time I was there camping was free and seems like they had running water and a composting toilet. Check the ANF website for more information. 
    As to fishing at the dam, the City of Tallahassee owns the dam although do not utilize the hydroelectric plant, solar is better you know. Access is severely limited at that point. On the Liberty county side it is mostly grownup or limited access because of private property. There are a couple of RV camping places near there though.
    Hope this helps
  • louislouis Posts: 37 Deckhand
    See my response in angler on foot to your post biggest cats i have caught Chatahoochee fl below the dam.  Nothing else to add.L
  • red owlred owl Posts: 684 Officer
    Thanks for the help
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,322 Admiral
    A record flathead catfish was caught in the Chipola river near Ebro FL.  55 lbs something.

A 69 something lber beat it in 2019 in Santa Rosa FL.

That use to be my favorite catfishing.  If they are in the river all you need is a few handsize bream a good rod and a deep hole in the river.

They are easy to catch.  33 lbs is my personal best.  Flint river Mitchell Co GA