Skip to main content
Home Boating

Motor Won't Start

gogittumgogittum Posts: 4,190 Captain
A few days ago I picked up a 12 ft tin skiff - older MirroCraft - for a very good price, knowing that it's a fixer-upper. Got lots done to the boat/trailer and it's ready for the water. When I looked at it, the guy told me he'd installed a carb kit in the motor and put in a new impeller, since it'd been sitting for some years. Motor is a '91 Force 15 hp.

I pulled the lower unit to be sure and there really is a new impeller in there.  Good deal.

When I looked at it, he had the motor running and tho' it sounded a little ragged it seemed responsive enuf. I found that the trailer wheel bearings were bad, so he went to pick up new ones and I worked at fixing those for a couple of hours. Tried the motor again and it started right up.

OK, it's been sitting for a week or so, then yesterday I dropped it into a nearby canal and tried to start it. No luck.

(I ran a chainsaw in the Idaho woods, falling timber for years and have a technique developed for starting 2 stroke motors that haven't been run for a bit. Ignition on, choke out, (butterfly closed) hold full throttle and crank it several times till it sputters, then open the choke (butterfly open) give it full throttle and crank it. Boom....running)

I tried that with this one and had gas everywhere. Motor flooded instantly. Finally gave up and tilted the motor to load boat back on trailer and gas started pouring out of the housing. Whoops - unhooked the gas line very quickly.

Got it home and pulled the plugs and yup, dripping with gas. Cleaned and dried the plugs, cranked it a dozen times with plugs out to dry the cylinders a bit, then put the plugs back in and tried it again. Nothing. Checked plugs and they were dry. Couldn't get that thing to leak gas again, tho' carb looks wet.

Went to parts house and picked up an inline spark plug tester and had no spark. Traced that to shorted kill switch and now had spark showing. I've cranked that thing with and without choke till my arms are sore and can't get a pop out of it. Plugs are still dry, even with choke closed, so I assume something not opening in carb. Had the fuel pump off and it looks good.

This thing is new to me, Idaho was 40 years ago and I've forgotten a lot. What should I look for ??

Replies

• chaser48chaser48 Posts: 346 Deckhand
    Sound like the float in carb stuck in up position cutting gas off
  • conchydongconchydong Posts: 15,359 AG
    Spray some ether in the carb and maybe once it gets going it’ll start sucking some gas if the float is sticky.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,712 Captain
    #1 get a couple of new spark plugs  #2 pump the bulb until it's hard  #3 put the choke on and pull  If it doesn't start or try check the plug again.  If it's dry squirt some gas mixture in the carb and pull again.  If it doesn't start it has no spark.  Is there fresh gas?
  • gogittumgogittum Posts: 4,190 Captain
    #1 get a couple of new spark plugs  #2 pump the bulb until it's hard  #3 put the choke on and pull  If it doesn't start or try check the plug again.  If it's dry squirt some gas mixture in the carb and pull again.  If it doesn't start it has no spark.  Is there fresh gas?
    1st time I tried that it flooded and had gas pouring into boat.  2nd time it got no gas, so, even tho' he says he put a carb kit in it, it's pretty clear something is sticking/jamming....otherwise messing up and I don't want it to happen way out in the boonies somewhere.  Gotta find and fix the problem now.  Next step will be to pull and dis-assemble the carb and go from there.  It has fresh gas/oil mix, new plugs, bulb squeezes hard.

The spark tester I bought has a clear plastic section with a coil inside it.  Maybe not the best but when I 1st tried it, it showed no spark.  Fussed with the kill button and suddenly had spark.  Since it was running when I bought it, figured that was a pretty safe bet.  Dry plugs mean no gas, so may try squirting some in carb, but carb is coming off anyway.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,906 Captain
    Good luck, everyone needs a hobby...  That said, when Force motors were actually being built and sold - they didn't have a good reputation in my world (south Florida).  Hope you're able to get it up and running.  Post up how it goes.. 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • chaser48chaser48 Posts: 346 Deckhand
    Pull carb and flush out,float can be stuck open and gas pours out  or stuck shut and get no gas
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 895 Officer
    Lacquer thinner works great for cleaning carbs after you remove them. Don't run the motor with it but it is great for removing crap from old gas and general neglect.
  • GettnreddyGettnreddy Posts: 130 Deckhand
    If all else fails, give it the old force float test. LOl
  • gogittumgogittum Posts: 4,190 Captain
    If all else fails, give it the old force float test. LOl
    I'm trying not to be tempted. 

I did get the carb off this morning but had several other things to take care of and haven't gotten back to it yet.  We'll get there.