Home General Freshwater Fishing

Frogs

Not plastic fro0g baits but REAL frogs. To use for bait.  What is the best way to collect them?  Some sort of trap?

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,607 Moderator
    WAY back , I would look inside palmetto fronds and catch the small green frogs for bait.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,450 Captain
    Get out your headlamp, long handled net,  and your mosquito proof underwear - it's going to be an adventure.

Must admit I haven't gone after frogs in more than fifty years though... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,529 AG
    When I was a kid for some reason I used to catch water snakes down in Key West in these little culverts that were built for mosquito control. Back then when it rain heavy we used to have mud puddles that would last for a week or two and the frogs would lay eggs.I would catch a lot of tadpoles and throw them into an old 10 gallon aquarium tank that we no longer used that was full of algae till they got to be miniature frogs and feed them to my snakes. If you can collect tadpoles and then grow them to the size you need that would be the best IMO

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,607 Moderator
    ^^ I did the exact thing there^^  Those water snakes were mean. Tadpoles when the park on Duck ave would flood.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,314 Officer
    edited February 26 #6
    Bullfrogs are easy to catch using a cane pole to dangle a small trout fly in front of them. Mash the barb flat first. Did that at night as a kid.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • 1FSM1FSM Posts: 147 Deckhand
    When I was growing up we used to catch frogs at the woodpile under the tarp.
    Some were green and some were gray and were perfect size to use for bait.
    We used to hook them by lower lip and cast them out and let them do their thing.
    They were very good live bait but we never caught any large (5+ lb.) bass. 
    Maybe if we used large frog????

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,450 Captain
    My bass fishing days were in the 1960s up in north Alabama... Instead of frogs we used live salamanders...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • red owlred owl Posts: 696 Officer
    Thanks for the tips. The tadpole idea is good.  The reason I asked was an interesting event. I was sight fishing for bass and tossed about everything I could for nothing, including live crawlers.  In any event there was this water snake that came along and went up into the bank and I forgot about it.  A while later I decided to toss my plastic worm up on the bank and creep it into the water. Well I must have about hit the snake because the snake was there and moved forward right quick and at that a frog leaped into the water. The bass I had been working zipped right over, took one look at the frog and sucked it in.  So now I want to try collecting live frogs and see what happens.
    Years ago I was out at night using a plastic frog and hooked about the biggest (10 plus) bass I ever had on but I never landed it.
    Folks who examine the stomachs of bass say they never find frogs but my experience is bass will readily take a frog.
  • 1FSM1FSM Posts: 147 Deckhand
    For large bass I've had success using large floating plastic worms.
    I've used 18" Mann floating worms by casting them to shore from boat and then working them into the water on the surface.  I get a lot of missed strikes but I hook enough to make it worth while.  Worm itself does not have any real action so I hook it with a little bend to the body so it gives some twisting and side to side movement when retrieved on surface.  Most strikes occur early morning and late evening.

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,598 Captain
    They love Zoom horny toads. 

There’s an old black man that has been fishing Orange lake for years that tears up huge bass using white mice that he buys from the pet store. He doesn’t hook the mice. Uses a big treble hook rubber-banded to the mouse. Give it a shot. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • red owlred owl Posts: 696 Officer
    I wonder if he is the same guy that caught a really big bass maybe 20 years ago on a spinnerbait- it was written up in the paper.
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    Always preferred dark colored plastic worms for big bass or any size bass for that matter, with very little or no weight.  A bonus is when the worm is too torn up to rig on a worm hook anymore it is still of some use. I cut the top off and thread it on to a 3-4” home made  bucktail jig for snook fishing on the bottom at night.  
  • stefan559stefan559 floridaPosts: 11 Deckhand
    My bass fishing days were in the 1960s up in north Alabama... Instead of frogs we used live salamanders...

I remember good old days
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,068 Captain
    Along time ago my dad used Leopard Frogs for bass. We’d catch them along the bank and give them to him to use. I remember once a frog hoped into the water in front of me, gave a few kicks and a large bass gulped him up. It was an amazing sight.