Home General Fishing

tritletail does frozen shrimp work

seadog517seadog517 Posts: 198 Deckhand
   I cant always get live shrimp,  has anyone had any luck with frozen shrimp for  triple tail .....thanks 

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 8,402 Admiral
    Sometimes that will just hit a empty bucktail but a small piece of shrimp even frozen helps.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• 10kman10kman Posts: 733 Officer
      Taken fresh shrimp salt it down with kosher salt.many times works better
    than fresh shrimp.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,116 Officer
    edited February 23 #4
    Gulp shrimp works just fine for them.  As do bucktails with 3" swiming mullet. So id imagine a bucktail w a frozen shrimp tail would do.
    I prefer artificials because they often hit that shrimp, you lose it. With artificials you get second or third bite.  
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 656 Officer
    In my experience they'll hit just about anything with scent if you put it right on their nose.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,223 AG
    those plastic swimming mullet are one of my favorite artis.  
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,186 Captain
    edited February 23 #7
    We even catch them while redfishing with small chunks of ladyfish... Our biggest, along the coast of the ‘glades was 18lbs... But it’s much more fun sightfishing with flies or light spinning gear in shallow waters (after they come back inshore when the crab traps are gone each year...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,414 Captain
    we use live shrimp but they catch the heck out of them with DOA shrimp too
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,314 Captain
    I use a small bobber with a live shrimp under it.  But, I did catch them on gulp shrimp on the same rig when I could not get live bait.  I did tip a soft bait with shrimp and got hit as well.  

But, sometimes they just wont hit anything.  

my biggest was 18#s and hit a live threadfin under a cork.  The big ones fight great.  That was my first ever tripletail, and I have not gotten another above 5#s
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 656 Officer
    Ditto on the small bobber, like panfishing size.

I like a shrimp or gulp on a jighead, gets it down and vertical quicker so you stand less chance of snagging the structure.

And my first was also my biggest, didn't get an official weight but it was 12-15 lbs easy. I was astonished that such a huge fish was loitering in 4' of murky hot summer water next to an old crab float. It jumped too, heck of a fight. 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,186 Captain
    edited February 24 #11
    My favorite way to fish triples is on the fly when I have a fly fisher on board... 

With a relatively light rod, 7 - 8wt, and a good sized clouser ( the Whitewater clouser -my own design...) I get to watch as the fish comes away from structure to attack inshore, sometimes in less than three of water.  We’re taking fish on fly up to and over ten pounds... Here's a pic or two... 

this one on fly

this one on bait... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666