Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Hubbards 39 Hour Middle Ground or Yankee Capts 3 Day Tortugas Marathon

I have a free weekend end of March and decided to go on one of the above overnight trips.

I originally planned on going on Hubbard's to catch mangroves, red grouper & Scamp, because that's all that is in season. Then it dawned on me that  that grouper is closed until April 1st. That would make this a glorified mangrove snapper trip. 

I then realized I could go on yankee capts and at least catch mutton too. 

All that being said, has anyone been on both, and if so which would you do? There is a slight price difference, but not enough to sway me one way or the other. 

Appreciate any insight.
Regulator 24fs
23' Pursuit CC
"Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson 

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,124 Moderator
    I have been on both and wholeheartedly prefer the Capts.   In spite of the difference in drive time to get there.  Crew is excellent, food/meal plan is GREAT and I do not like walking around the wet decks because of the live-wells overflowing on Hubbards
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,801 Captain
    "I then realized I could go on yankee capts and at least catch mutton too." Love to see pictures. 
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 153 Deckhand
    I'd pick the YC or the Gulfstar.  Hubbards i always seem to get stuck next to a few **** hats.  
    Everglades 243
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 468 Deckhand
    I have not been on Capt, but if it were a choice between the two then I would give them a shot.

I've never had a bad experience on Hubbard's though.

I can't say that I have seen the wells overflow.

It seems from what I have read that you might get more experienced anglers on the Capts.  On Hubbard's it gets a bit crowded and only takes one person that can't control their line or a fish to really create an aggravating situation. 
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 319 Deckhand
    I also live in Tampa and I have been on both.  I would choose based on what you want to fish for rather than other's comments.  You can have a good or bad time on either boat.  Everybodies' criteria for a good or bad trip is different as you can see from the previous comments.  The type of trip and time of year can determine what you might focus on.  If you want muttons, that is a bread and butter type of fish for most YK trips.  If you want mangroves, that is more of a Hubbard's Middle Grounds trip.  Always check the fish closures to know what is in scope and what is out.  Neither boat requires you to have live bait to do well.  YK doesn't have live wells but you don't need them on their trips.  Slow pitch jigging is more common on the YK.  I used to fish a lot but don't much anymore (kids).  I am looking at going on a May trip to tustle with some Amberjacks.  A lot of people don't care for that, but I really enjoy it.  I just love having a huge live bait get nervous right before it gets inhaled and then it is game on!  In this case, I'll go on Hubbard's as they have personal live wells, so if I want to catch some big sized livies I can keep them alive or I can catch some big live baits on the trip and save them for the Amberjack spots (usually wrecks or springs).  I have never caught any Queen snappers so I was wanting to go on a YK trip for that last December but I didn't make it.  But wow!  They did exceptional!  I am looking to schedule one for this December.  Just remember on these headboats, there are all types of people, most are nice and some are not.  If something is not going well for you, ask the mates for help.  That is where I see things go wrong for people.  They suffer without moving around/changing/asking for help and then end up having a bad time.  The mates want you to have the best time possible as it likely increases their tips!  Take one trip on all of them including Tarpon Springs if you can, and then you can make better choices for what you want in the future.  When you decide which boat and trip to go on, you can come back to this forum and ask questions.  You might get a ton of input!  Good luck and have a great time!
  • MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 150 Deckhand
    edited February 24 #7
    I also live in Tampa and I have been on both.  I would choose based on what you want to fish.....
    I want to catch muttons and I prefer to slow pitch, so sounds like YK is the move. I go to the keys every year and on the way home from wahoo and dolphin fishing we stop at the reefs. My brother and my friends are pulling up mutton left and right and I get skunked. 
    Regulator 24fs
    23' Pursuit CC
    "Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson 
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 996 Officer
    I also live in Tampa and I have been on both.  I would choose based on what you want to fish.....
    I want to catch muttons and I prefer to slow pitch, so sounds like YK is the move. I go to the keys every year and on the way home from wahoo and dolphin fishing we stop at the reefs. My brother and my friends are pulling up mutton left and right and I get skunked. 
    Well if you prefer to slo pitch and catch muttons then your not on the correct trip. You should book on a drifting trip.

Anchor trips are bait trips. You might get a couple on jigs. You might want to rethink your trip if that is what you want to do.

Greg
  • MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 150 Deckhand
    Well if you prefer to slo pitch and catch muttons then your not on the correct trip. You should book on a drifting trip.

Anchor trips are bait trips. You might get a couple on jigs. You might want to rethink your trip if that is what you want to do.

Greg
    That is fine. Method doesnt really matter, but prefer slow pitch by a little. 
    Regulator 24fs
    23' Pursuit CC

Greg
    That is fine. Method doesnt really matter, but prefer slow pitch by a little. 
    Well then start praying for good weather. Thanks.
  • JamesNJamesN Posts: 60 Deckhand
    I have fished all 3 boats mentioned more than once.  I would rank them for me Gulfstar only because it is 10 minute drive from my house vs 8 hours to the Keys to go on the Yankee Capts and both  boats produce quality fish although different species usually unless you do the specialty trips where they both fish areas like Pulley ridge and you can get the same species.  As far as Hubbards I have done several trips with them but mangrove snapper fishing just not my thing  although I normally limit out and they will put you on a few AJ's when in season but 2 of those and I am done and they wilol usually try to limit out the boat and takes less experienced anglers alot longer to catch them and alot of tangles with the AJS due to the crowded boat as well.  They are more of a tourist boat and  more crowded however if you can get a sterm spot with the regulars it not too bad verse the Gulfstar and we usually catch better Grouper and American red snapper on the Gulf star which is more my thing.  If you do decide to go on Yankee Capt to fish for muttons way better luck if you can  get fresh google eyes and speedos.   If you have any questions with the Yankee Capts ask Greg to help.  He has already been on here  a couple of times trying to point you in the right direction if you want to catch them a certain way.  More than willing to help if you have more questions.
    Gulfstar is a excellent boat. I can personally recommend them. My self and Rich both came up at the same time. He is great people. Some of my former employees work there also. 

I don't have any experience with any other operations on the GOM.