Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Ascend 133x with an Outboard mercury 6hp

TheJuanderDudeTheJuanderDude FloridaPosts: 9 Deckhand
Not sure if this is where I can post this, new to the forum, wanted to share some progress on the build and maybe be some help to others.
 I have a YouTube channel that I post the builds if anyone is interested in progress.

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,977 Captain
    Congratulations on your new youtube channel!  Between the electric motor and the gas, that's a lot of power for that little kayak.  I like the idea of a throttle cable, you should provide links for your viewers in case they want to buy the same parts to mimic your project.  Good luck with your projects.
  • TheJuanderDudeTheJuanderDude FloridaPosts: 9 Deckhand
    Yea I thought about that, I wanted to go with the 2.5 but I struck a deal that I could not pass up on the 6hp. Super low hours. I can always throttle down on this motor vs not being able to power up on the 2.5. I’m just happy I have the power of I need.
    I have quite a bit of plans for the kayak so there’s more to come.
    Im more or less halfway through mounting and getting the controls done (throttle,shifter,steering) I just wish I planned on recording when I first started.
    I scowered the internet on in depth builds so I thought I’d just show my build process and help any others out there.
    Yes I’ll try to post any outsourced products or try to remember to give part names. I’m so new to this recording thing🤓
    Throttle setup is pretty solid.
    I wanted to have all the controls mounted to the seat to where if I chose to head out without the outboard I can pull the seat and put another on and head out with just the trolling motor. 
    Made the throttle connection box removable by wing nuts.
    Yea I thought about that, I wanted to go with the 2.5 but I struck a deal that I could not pass up on the 6hp. Super low hours. I can always throttle down on this motor vs not being able to power up on the 2.5. I’m just happy I have the power of I need.
    I have quite a bit of plans for the kayak so there’s more to come.
    Im more or less halfway through mounting and getting the controls done (throttle,shifter,steering) I just wish I planned on recording when I first started.
    I scowered the internet on in depth builds so I thought I’d just show my build process and help any others out there.
    Yes I’ll try to post any outsourced products or try to remember to give part names. I’m so new to this recording thing🤓
    I have a few friends who have but 2.5hp on their hobie pro anglers.  That kayak is rated for 400watts which is about a half horse power, so with a 2.5hp engine they are 5 times overpowered.  They are never able to run full throttle unless it is totally flat calm.  Maybe the ascend has a higher rating?  Nice photos, keep it going.
    I’m not sure about the hobies, the ascend has a catamaran styled hull. And it’s dry weight is about 120 ish. I wanted to get some of the majors buttoned down and seal off some of the openings before a trial. I had a steering setup on which was ok, wasn’t too thrilled about it so I scraped the idea and going back to the drawing board with that I might do. Will post updates as I go along.

Shifter setup functioning but not complete, just needs to make it look better!
  • krashkrash Posts: 799 Officer
    What HP rating does BassPro put on those Ascend kayaks ?
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    I wanna say 2.5 maybe less, but I can always half throttle 🤣🤣
    It’sa hefty kayak one of the heaviest in its class and can carry a good amount of weight. Next couple weeks I’ll get it on the water and show how it handles.
    krash said:
    There should be a HP rating sticker on the kayak, and if your overpowered, the US coast guard can write you a ticket.

edited February 2021 #12
    Oof, new project in the future then. Luckily it’s not permanent and it’s as easy as swapping the seat. It’s rated for 3hp
    krash said:
    There should be a HP rating sticker on the kayak, and if your overpowered, the US coast guard can write you a ticket.

Actually I just looked up what the calculations are to configure rating. 
    Length in feet by transom width in feet. 
    Looks like all I need to do is redesign my transom to 3ft wide and I’m good. 
    I’ll pick up more starboard 🤪