Home Off Topic

Bill swerved out of his lane. I wish he was just drunk.

dave44dave44 Posts: 12,570 AG
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/538991-bill-gates-rich-nations-should-move-to-100-percent-synthetic-beef?amp

    It’s also Nice that he is buying huge swaths of farmland. It looks like an effort to force the change he wants.

   He says we will get use to it,and it’ll taste better later.
«1345

Replies

  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 13,492 AG
    Get bent Bill.  Typical L.  We need to do it  because I say so.  

    He doesn't even hide it.

    "Eventually, that green premium is modest enough that you can sort of change the [behavior of] people or use regulation to totally shift the demand," Gates said. "So for meat in the middle-income-and-above countries, I do think it's possible."

    Rest in Peace Captain Todd

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    Restaurants are endorsing plant based meat products. Just saw Pizza Hut now has beyond meat Pizzas. Burger King started it and more fast food places are adding beyond meat products to the menu. 

    The stuff must sell with more places adding to the menu. 


    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 13,492 AG
    I've eaten it.  It's fine.  But if I want to eat meat, I'll eat meat, not something made to be fake meat.  Makes no sense.

    Rest in Peace Captain Todd

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    I have had the fake whopper once and it was good. I have eaten the fake sausage at a couple different places and it is really good. Better than the turkey sausage crap if you want to avoid the fat in sausage. 

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,570 AG
    I’m glad some people love fake meat! Now, if he can just buy more farmland to the point natural food and meats are super expensive maybe all of us can experience the euphoria. 
         Except the chosen few, they can have what they want.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    edited February 18 #8
    You need to look up who is one of the biggest backers for Impossible Foods and has an investment in Beyond Meat. 

    Your foil hat will really start to tingle then. 

    Give you a hint. His initials are B.G. 

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 13,492 AG
    Fake beef has about the same amount of fat and calories.  

    Rest in Peace Captain Todd

  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,570 AG
    cadman said:
    You need to look up who is backer for impossible foods and Beyond meat. 

    Your foil hat will really start to tingle then. 
    Second and third largest owners of farmland in the country?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    You need to look up who is backer for impossible foods and Beyond meat. 

    Your foil hat will really start to tingle then. 
    Second and third largest owners of farmland in the country?
    Higher

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,570 AG
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    You need to look up who is backer for impossible foods and Beyond meat. 

    Your foil hat will really start to tingle then. 
    Second and third largest owners of farmland in the country?
    Higher
    ? I think the link said Bill?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    mplspug said:
    Fake beef has about the same amount of fat and calories.  
    That is true. But the fake sausage is half the fat and calories of the real stuff.


    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    You need to look up who is backer for impossible foods and Beyond meat. 

    Your foil hat will really start to tingle then. 
    Second and third largest owners of farmland in the country?
    Higher
    ? I think the link said Bill?
    Winner winner chicken dinner. He is one of the largest backers Impossible Foods has. 

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,570 AG
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    You need to look up who is backer for impossible foods and Beyond meat. 

    Your foil hat will really start to tingle then. 
    Second and third largest owners of farmland in the country?
    Higher
    ? I think the link said Bill?
    Winner winner chicken dinner. He is one of the largest backers Impossible Foods has. 

    I hate to ask, but have you been following this thread?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    edited February 18 #16
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    You need to look up who is backer for impossible foods and Beyond meat. 

    Your foil hat will really start to tingle then. 
    Second and third largest owners of farmland in the country?
    Higher
    ? I think the link said Bill?
    Winner winner chicken dinner. He is one of the largest backers Impossible Foods has. 

    I hate to ask, but have you been following this thread?
    Yes and I saw nothing about his investment in Impossible Foods. Maybe I missed it. 

    You talked of his land holdings

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,570 AG
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    You need to look up who is backer for impossible foods and Beyond meat. 

    Your foil hat will really start to tingle then. 
    Second and third largest owners of farmland in the country?
    Higher
    ? I think the link said Bill?
    Winner winner chicken dinner. He is one of the largest backers Impossible Foods has. 

    I hate to ask, but have you been following this thread?
    Yes and I saw nothing about his investment in Impossible Foods. Maybe I missed it. 

    You talked of his land holdings
    The first link.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    The only thing that bothers me about Impossible Foods' meat product is the fact they are produced in a lab and are not natural products. They modify the soy bean structure somehow to resemble the texture of meat.

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,570 AG
    edited February 18 #19
    cadman said:
    The only thing that bothers me about Impossible Foods' meat product is the fact they are produced in a lab and are not natural products. They modify the soy bean structure somehow to resemble the texture of meat.
    Have you seen the commercials about the sub king? Hilarious. He says, sure they have fresh meats, but I have turkey and ham made by, science. 




  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    You need to look up who is backer for impossible foods and Beyond meat. 

    Your foil hat will really start to tingle then. 
    Second and third largest owners of farmland in the country?
    Higher
    ? I think the link said Bill?
    Winner winner chicken dinner. He is one of the largest backers Impossible Foods has. 

    I hate to ask, but have you been following this thread?
    Yes and I saw nothing about his investment in Impossible Foods. Maybe I missed it. 

    You talked of his land holdings
    The first link.
    Read it three times and still do not see where it says he has invested in the companies. 

    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,824 Captain
    I’ve enjoyed the fake meats I’ve tried. But by golly if I want really meat, no one can tell me I can’t have it. 

    I’m all for it if the big meat factories dry up. Not from an economic standpoint, I don’t want anyone losing their jobs. Let’s pretend everyone at the meat yard will go work for the soy farm. So that aside, yeah I would like to see industrial meat practices get scaled back. Those animals often live sucky lives and you can’t convince me that a factory raised piece of livestock is going to taste better than a happy version of that animal living out in a green pasture or wood line somewhere. 

    I’d also like to be the only game in town if meat becomes hard to come by. Emu... the other red meat. 

  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 3,059 Captain
    cadman said:
    mplspug said:
    Fake beef has about the same amount of fat and calories.  
    That is true. But the fake sausage is half the fat and calories of the real stuff.


    The body needs fats, calories, and the brain needs cholesterol.

    A calorie is not a calorie, and there are good fats and bad fats and there is no proven correlation between dietary cholesterol and high bad cholesterol in the blood. Also, the particle size of the bad cholesterol makes a big difference and is rarely tested before they put you on the drugs.

    Nutrition and heart science has really changed in the last five or so years and many old school docs are slow to catch up.

    The problem really started with a fellow named Kellogg who happened to be big on grains, and didn't dig on swine because he was Seventh Day Adventist. Oh, he also happened to be Surgeon General and changed all the recommendations that had been keeping your great grandparents lean . 

    Bacon and eggs used to be the norm, and as soon as grains and sugar became the norm Americans started to get fat, and diabetes took off. 


  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,826 AG
    Do you still get the meat sweats?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • lilwoodylilwoody Posts: 1,151 Officer
    Well this just might save the small cattle, swine and poltury family farms. Let Billrod buy up the industrial farms and the Chinese buy the rest for the homeland. There will still be thousands if not tens of thousand small farms that will not have to compete with the giant coorapet operations that have been cutting the family farmers throats for decades.
    "Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 7,744 Admiral
    I think Bill's point is that as the population continues to increase the ability for Americans to eat large sums of meats is going to be a challenge.  There is a lot of science behind it, for those who care to educate themselves.  Either way, fake meat is likely the future, but until then I'm eating real ribs/steak.


    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

    -Walter Payton
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 7,744 Admiral
    edited February 18 #26
    cadman said:
    mplspug said:
    Fake beef has about the same amount of fat and calories.  
    That is true. But the fake sausage is half the fat and calories of the real stuff.




    A calorie is not a calorie, 


    A calorie is a calorie.  A calorie is the amount of energy required to raise 1 g (or ml) of water 1 degree C.  

    Energy cannot be created nor destroyed - law of thermodynamics.  So when people consume calories (e.g. energy), either burn it or store it via fat.  Losing weight absolutely 100% requires a calorie deficient.    

    It is that simple.  The whole anti fat, anti carb, anti blah blah is stupid.  Portion sizes are important.  I eat carbs, fat and protein all the time.   

    Oh and for those interested, we effectively lie on every package about how many calories, it is off by 1000, granted so is the amount of calories are suppose to get a day.  The rest of the world labels food with 'kcal' we run with 'cal' because reasons.

    Edit
    Oh and I am going to guess your next argument to be something like "vegetables have vitamins and minerals, candy doesn't."  

    Your argument is a calorie isn't a calorie (which isn't true), and vitamins/minerals are non caloric.  That isn't to say we don't need them, but it falls out of scope for your argument.  


    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

    -Walter Payton
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,314 Captain
    I get where bill is coming from, and he is not the first person to suggest that humans can do more for the environment, etc..   Many have suggested that the earth can only sustain 3/5/7/10-billion folks....

    Luckily, as more folks get educated and out of poverty, the less children they have.  Also, as folks rise into the middle class, the more environmentally conscious they become.     Its hard to care about the water/air when your worrying about your next meal...
    Due to the spread of capitalist-ish ideas around the world, the poverty rate has been greatly reduced over the past few decades.

    Also, bacon is delicious, but we all know now that in order to be healthy you gotta watch your diet.   Eating less meat is part of that diet.


    It still irks me that the global elites try to tell us little folks how to live, what to eat, etc...  I guess thats just human nature tho
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,760 AG
    edited February 18 #28
    I know the body needs fat, but regular sausage is a lot of fat. So if I like the fake sausage the once a week I might get one, then I figure it helps. 

    Also, a calorie is a calorie, but the body uses calories to break down food into energy. 

    Carbs are the first and easiest for your body to use. Takes less energy to break down.

     Fats come second. The other issue is the body will store fats forever, so you don't really need to overdo fats in the modern world. Helpful back when you didn't know when your next meal might be.

    Third is protein, which takes the longest and is the hardest for your body to break down . Also need protein for your muscles. Your body uses more energy converting protein. 

    So a calorie of carbs is not the same as a calorie of fat which is not the same as a calorie of protein. 



    Mini Mart Magnate

    I am just here for my amusement. 

  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,223 AG
    The day i can't throw a 2" thick porterhouse on the grill while sipping Elijah Craig on the rocks and smoking a Drew Estate cigar is the day I don't want to live on this planet anymore.  
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 7,744 Admiral
    edited February 18 #30
    cadman said:
    I know the body needs fat, but regular sausage is a lot of fat. So if I like the fake sausage the once a week I might get one, then I figure it helps. 

    Also, a calorie is a calorie, but the body uses calories to break down food into energy. 

    Carbs are the first and easiest for your body to use. Takes less energy to break down.

     Fats come second. The other issue is the body will store fats forever, so you don't really need to overdo fats in the modern world. Helpful back when you didn't know when your next meal might be.

    Third is protein, which takes the longest and is the hardest for your body to break down . Also need protein for your muscles. Your body uses more energy converting protein. 

    So a calorie of carbs is not the same as a calorie of fat which is not the same as a calorie of protein. 



    Honestly I disagree.  I think people worry far too much about fat.  My BMI is 22 (give or take) and I eat probably 60-80 grams of fat a day.  Fat is especially important with dendrites.  Portion size matters far more than where the calories are coming from.  

    Carbs is a great example, many (not you specifically) view carbs are the enemy...  Yet Asia Pacific eats a crap ton of rice.....  and yet they don't have obesity problems.

    Places like Denmark are healthy....  their restaurants serve much smaller portion sizes and people walk/bike all over town.  The type of food they eat is similar to ours, minus the preservatives.    


    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

    -Walter Payton
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,223 AG
    kellercl said:
    cadman said:
    I know the body needs fat, but regular sausage is a lot of fat. So if I like the fake sausage the once a week I might get one, then I figure it helps. 

    Also, a calorie is a calorie, but the body uses calories to break down food into energy. 

    Carbs are the first and easiest for your body to use. Takes less energy to break down.

     Fats come second. The other issue is the body will store fats forever, so you don't really need to overdo fats in the modern world. Helpful back when you didn't know when your next meal might be.

    Third is protein, which takes the longest and is the hardest for your body to break down . Also need protein for your muscles. Your body uses more energy converting protein. 

    So a calorie of carbs is not the same as a calorie of fat which is not the same as a calorie of protein. 



    Honestly I disagree.  I think people worry far too much about fat.  My BMI is 22 (give or take) and I eat probably 60-80 grams of fat a day.  Fat is especially important with dendrites.  Portion size matters far more than where the calories are coming from.  

    Carbs is a great example, many (not you specifically) view carbs are the enemy...  Yet Asia Pacific eats a crap ton of rice.....  and yet they don't have obesity problems.

    Places like Denmark are healthy....  their restaurants serve much smaller portion sizes and people walk/bike all over town.  The type of food they eat is similar to ours, minus the preservatives.    
    Nutrition is NOT the issue here. 
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
Sign In or Register to comment.