Home Fly Fishing

Valentine's Day trout on a new Edge rod

sunflowersunflower Posts: 596 Officer

So, I am a spoiled boy. 

My first fly rod was a G Loomis one-piece 12-weight my wife got me for tarpon. It was a great rod, and my next was a G Loomis 8-weight. I love them, but they cost about $800 now. Overall, I switched to Temple Fork rods, and have been happy with them for a decade. I have probably about 8 TFO's (8, 10, 12). I generally recommend TFO as a great inexpensive rod in the $300 range.

Like any fly fisher, I am drawn to the glamour and promises of the expensive rods. Thomas and Thomas Exocet, Orvis Helios, Sage Salt ... supposedly they offer long, effortless casts of even heavy flies in all winds. But they are running about $900 now.

I have a very imperfect cast. I overpower the rod with my right hand, and don't double-haul with enough scope. I am basically throwing the fly line like a spear, rather than shooting it like a bow.

I tried the new TFO Axion II-X. A little more expensive ... new technology. But it felt like spaghetti in my hand. I sent it back. As an aside, I think the quality of the rods, and customer service of TFO has been dropping a LOT over the last few years. A VERY lot.

Anyway, I saw the new Edge rods advertised in my Instagram feed.
They are designed and sold by Gary Loomis himself. He has some hand in the design of G Loomis (and TFO) I think.
I guess they retail for about $800, but with a variety of discounts I got a new 8-weight for about $400.
It has a weird graphite handle (which seems fine), and is very light.
I used it this weekend and I will say it casts very well in heavy winds, even despite my casting flaws.
Caught a pompano, and a bunch of sea trout. Took trophy pics without rod in teeth!

This might be my go-to brand going forward. I wish it was a prettier rod! (I'd love it in blue or yellow!)

I would say it is a worthwhile consideration for someone who wants a $1000 rod byt doesn't want to pay that much.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,627 Captain
    One expensive trout.
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 596 Officer
    edited February 15 #3

Ya think?

Flats boat ... $50,000
    Two fly rods ... $700
    Two Hatch reels ... $1000
    Two Fly lines ... $200
    pliers ... $20
    Flies ... $5
    Patagonia shirt ... $90
    stretchy jeans shorts ... $15
    Buff ... $15

Total ...  a $52,045 trout!
    Have you seen my $20,000 permit? Re-used the Buff!

Hundreds of hours on the water fly-fishing ... priceless.

Mark

... my $10,000 Christmas Island triggerfish ...

Mark

my $15,000 Seychelles milkfish ...

Mark

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 436 Deckhand
    I'd pay that much for those fish... or even to not catch them but try out there  :D Its the experience that matters.

How are the handles on that rod? it seems like they could get slick with some water and fish slime lol
    Hey Tarponhunter ...
    I was fishing in the rain. Not slick at all. No problem with the handle at all.
    I'm not sure what it is. The Edge site says, graphite ... I hope it's not some mesh that is going to eventually break down.
    For now, it seems fine. I'm not a big fan of the all-black, but that's just me.
    I would also prefer snake guides all the way ... but I'm sure Mr. Loomis knows more than me.
    The site suggests the graphite handle increases sensitivity, but a fly fisherman feels the fish with his line, and strikes, not with the rod like a gear fisherman. Handle "sensitivity" means nothing.
    Would love to cast it in a 12.

PS: my milkfish was a bargain ... I went about 10 years ago. The price to fish the Seychelles has about doubled.
    Mark

• kcquekcque Posts: 7 Deckhand
    Northfork Composites sell the full range of the Edge ( Gary Loomis) blanks. I built an 8 weight and like it. All in shipping, tax, etc is around $285.00 for the blank. I am eyeing the 11 weight. Build it with snakes or have it built how you want it. Beware communication with the comp. is near nonexistent.

That's funny.
    I called the company, and asked about the speed of the rod. Told the guy I didn't want a super-fast rod.
    He said: "then don't buy ours."
    Then went on for about 10 minutes nonstop. I bought despite, not because of speaking with him.
    I am DEFINITELY not smart enough to build my own rod, but like the idea of getting a custom one from Edge components.
    Thanks.
    Mark