Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

Custom decal

i need a decal for an old Fenwick, the blank is stamped with the logo down where the reel seat would be, no way around covering it up. Who can do this? 

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,186 Captain
    Doubt  you'll ever find that kind of manufacturer's decal (and I was building rods with Fenwick blanks many, many years ago when Fenwick sticks were still being made here in the USA...). 
    Instead, what I'd do if I wanted to note the make and model of a particular blank used to build a rod is to inscribe on it with water soluble ink (white for dark blanks, black for white or other really colored blanks).. Allow the ink to dry then coat it with FlexCoat or other similar rod finishes that aren't solvent based... Here's a sample of the logo I still use to this day for any new rod I build... 

This logo is also the name of my small business, making lures, tying flies commercially (back when I still did that...).  Sky's the limit - use your imagination... The reason for water soluble ink is that it's easy to make mistakes writing on a blank and with a damp paper towel you can erase a problem and do it again - until you've gotten it right... 

Me, I never wanted the manufacturer's logo on any rod that I built - and I can't remember how many different makes of blank I used, starting in 1971 when all we had was fiberglass to work with... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,511 Captain
    I make labels with a p-touch.  For more permanency epoxy over them.
    You can tell I'm out of touch and that someone would be able to make what he wants in today's world, while I'm still in the stone age... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,410 Captain
    You can tell I'm out of touch and that someone would be able to make what he wants in today's world, while I'm still in the stone age... 
      I've never used a decal, I'm satisfied with my own primative methods. I'll even remove factory labels with lacquer thinner before starting a build. As far as I'm concerned that's my build, I'm not giving credit to anyone else.
    Amen... Although I must admit 30 or 40 years later it would be nice occasionally to know the exact make / model of some of the blanks I’ve used -even when the company that made them is long out of business...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,410 Captain
    Amen... Although I must admit 30 or 40 years later it would be nice occasionally to know the exact make / model of some of the blanks I’ve used -even when the company that made them is long out of business...
    Lol! I feel like that day is close for me, but as of right now I know what they all are. I have a few Fishers and All-Stars that I don't recall the exact model number, but they're all a couple decades off warranty.
    Here's a partial listing of the makes I've used - most long gone now (or overseas which amounts to the same thing..).. 
    Lamiglass, Fenwick, Scott, Fisher, KC, Sabre, CalStar,  GatorGlass, LCI (an early Loomis company), GLoomis, Rainshadow, Pac Bay, as well as a few unknown makes.  Years and years ago before graphite ever came along (now called carbon fiber by folks that want to charge you more....) all we ever used was fiberglass (and even solid fiberglass for wire-line rods...).  Most of my early stuff was for surf or pier fishing and I even built a few two piece ten and eleven footers for heaving with Penn Squidder or Jigmaster reels... Very cool rods since the two piece part was the handle only (custom fit up into the metal reelseats we all used back then... Once I was bitten by the club scene (and was trying to set records, very silly looking back on it...)- and started building gear for deep-jigging long before the current butterfly jigs ever showed up - then gear to fish bonefish and permit on the flats.. along with plug rods (to Met specs with the short overall handles including fore-grips... ). In my middle years I got started making matched sets of rods for specific blue water boats and was an early builder of stand-up gear (those Sabre blanks as well as CalStar.. ).

Nowadays I only build for my skiff / guiding customers - to make sure I have what I need from ultra-light spin rods to heavy spinners that you can straighten out a 100lb goliath grouper with... Funny thing, I've quit building fly rods since I simply can't build one quickly enough to replace a broken one -  so all of my fly gear for the skiff are factory rods with very good, quick turnaround warranties...  
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666