Home General Freshwater Fishing

Peacock Bass Lure

cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 411 Deckhand
I live on a lake that is stocked with Peacock bass. They are top of the food chain and school around in the middle of the lake preying on micro baits popping at the surface which makes them easy to find. I can catch them with live bait pretty quickly, maybe 30 secs or less and they take the bait, but id like to use artificials if i could. After some research, top water lures are recommended but i tried a white super spook jr for a while and nothing. What other kind of lures should I try? Thanks.

Replies

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Small floating Rapala, Tiny torpedo both work. Sub surface small spro jigs or crappie jigs . On fly clausers work well..I've got some of my own ties that kill at times. PM me about those.
  • cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 411 Deckhand
    Thanks for the suggestions, thinking ill pick up one of those tiny torpedo's. Ever fished with the gulp minnows? 

Picked up a few baits, hopefully they work.  
  • cortrcortr Posts: 429 Deckhand
    Zara Spook in bone color will catch largemouth, peacock, snook,redfish, and trout when they are feeding on top

I'll try again when i see them on top but so far it seems they like the baits a little lower, like 2-3 ft under. Thats where i put the live baits, and they were hitting the powerbaits (pic above) yesterday from the dock. 
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 166 Deckhand
    When fishing in deeper water away from shore I catch most of my peacock bass on small floating Rapala.  I let it sit for a second then retrieve it fast and erratic or fast and steady.  Depending on the day they seem to prefer one over the other.
    When fishing near shore I've had best luck with Tiny/Baby Torpedo fished fast with occasional stops.
    They say big bait catches big fish but with Peacock Bass I've caught some large ones (over 5 lb.) on small Rapala and Torpedos.
    Largest Peacock Bass I've ever seen caught was about 12 lb. and it was caught on small Rapala Shad Rap.

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,450 Captain
    If a peacock had a ride... it would be a low-rider with loud mufflers and bright colors... Flashy small minnow hard (or soft ) baits worked with sharp twitches -not slow and easy the way you would for largemouths.. Here's one on a leadhead with Gulp tail worked slowly - but with sharp snaps of the rod so it jumps up from the bottom....
    Normally all my photos are about my anglers - but every now and then... 

Look at topwater baits with propellers at each end (the Mirrolure #21.. or an old Devil's Horse propped up stickbait) or one with only a single propeller like the Tiny Torpedo by Heddon (or the old, hard to find Dalton Special - a real old time plug for everything that swims topwater... ).  I'd add to that small silver spoons like the Johnson Sprite (the mackeral version with a treble hook) and I can think of a few flashy spinner baits as well that work well when you need to cover a lot of water.... 

Good luck and post up how it works for you.. 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    So far the powerbaits were most successful from the dock. The live target attracted ALOT of attention but none brave enough to inhale. No takers on the torpedo. When I have time I’ll take the kayak out and give each some testing around the docks. Peacocks aren’t feeding on top in schools as much as they were in the summer. During summer every morning the peacocks feed on top in schools.  
    These two were caught on the powerbaits and both swallowed them. I think they were particularly hungry that afternoon. Also my first largemouth out of this lake. 

One of the bigger peacocks from the past summer caught on small live bait. 

Another one from the back of the house. My dog got a real kick out of the fish. 
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,636 Captain
    They're on my bucket list along with an over 8 lb LM.  A buddy and I went to Lake Worth a couple of years ago just for peacocks; he caught 2 and all I caught were a bunch of LMs.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,450 Captain
    Every canal, pond, and lake in south Florida holds peacocks - with the biggest population in south Broward and all of Dade counties... They thrive in every backyard canal and lake down here.  Good luck on your quest...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Get some nice ones on flyrod in Broward. They also love small fire tiger rapalas and mepps spinners. Try using smaller baits worked fast. Go for reaction strikes. Good luck!
  • KBGKBG Posts: 207 Deckhand
    Try a Rapala X-Rap #06 in olive green. I can't think of fish this lure hasn't caught. Bream, bass, specks, reds, flounder, trout, etc...
    The glass ghost also does well in really clear water, at least it has for me.
    Good luck and tight lines.
    The welfare of the state depends on the morals of its citizens.

http://www.professionalbowhunters.org/

http://www.tbof.org/

Picked up some swim baits in green/orange, and it was hit on first cast, then the bite turned off. They probably like that color ill keep fishing them. Strangely they're not hitting top water. I'm either doing something wrong or the peacocks in this lake prefer something down in the column a bit. I'll try top water again in the summer when i see them on top.