Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Who's Been Vaccinated?

Replies

• DeboDebo Posts: 80 Deckhand
    I'm wayyy down on the list to receive it because I'm retired and no where near 65. I try to take all the precautions I can but I also still live my life and have travelled three times in the last year. Wear a mask everywhere I go with the exception of restaurants. Guess I have just been lucky or maybe the precautions really work to some extent. I plan on getting it but I don't expect to be able to until late summer if things continue at the pace its currently at. Glad to hear all are doing the best you can to stay healthy.    
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 1,074 Officer
    I gave up on Alachua County and Got shot number 1 in levy county 2 weeks ago.  get the second one in two weeks.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,598 Captain
    https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/covid-19-vaccines-in-florida/ Don't know if this could help, this is the site to pre-register for the vaccine. 
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 3,145 Captain
    Still in my 30s so don’t imagine I will be getting it any time soon, although my wife had cancer and major surgery last year to remove her tumors and a few organs that they were on so could probably push her oncologist if we wanted. She’s no longer in treatment and back to about 95% and her markers keep coming back clear so I guess they don’t think she is compromised any more, but they had us on lockdown last year and we continue to be careful while still trying to have a life.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Posts: 2,790 Captain
    Depending on the type of chemo she received, she will always be immune-compromised to some extent.  I would talk this over with her oncologist.  Immune-compromised people are believed to be the source of most of the nastier variants that are going around now.  

• livebait1livebait1 Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Am grateful to have gotten both my shots. A question- do you know anyone who has had the flu this year? I don't.
  • conchydongconchydong Posts: 15,323 AG
    I’m wondering for the people that  already had Covid should we get vaccinated? Are the antibodies good enough?

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

do you know anyone who has had the flu this year? I don't.

The number of flu cases is only something like 1% of normal.  Masks, social distancing, etc. had a much greater effect on flu, which isn't as contagious as COVID-19.  There is a concern that there isn't enough information on the next influenza strain to vaccinate against next year.  Flu is way down all over the world as are other respiratory diseases like the common cold.

I’m wondering for the people that already had Covid should we get vaccinated? Are the antibodies good enough?

This is an ongoing discussion.  Many scientists and healthcare officials argue that people who have already had COVID should be moved to the back of the line for vaccinations so that more people who are at higher risk can get the vaccine.  But it is not clear how long previously infected people will remain protected.  It appears that after 3 months or so antibody levels decline.  Also, many people who had asymptomatic infections do not show antibodies at all.  Some people think that T-cell immunity (white blood cells that kill infected cells) is enough to prevent re-infection. But nobody knows for sure as yet.  The CDC recommends that people who have had COVID should get the vaccine when it is their turn.   The vaccines produce a much stronger antibody response than the disease in most cases. 

• conchydongconchydong Posts: 15,323 AG
    Thanks Doc. I was almost asymptomatic, so I guess I should get it when I am eligible.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 282 Deckhand
    2.5 weeks ago i had my second shot !
  • SevenweightSevenweight Posts: 95 Deckhand
    I had shot #2 on March 5th. 
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,712 Captain
    My wife and I had our first shots 3/4 and don't know who to contact for our next ones.  We had them @ the Citrus County site in Crystal River.
    They should have given you a card that would have your next appointment date.

• ocalaocala Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Me and the wife are 60 so from what I hear we'll soon be able to sign up for them.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,646 AG
    Not yet. Every time it arrives it gets snapped up before we can get an appointment. We've added a couple more choices to the list though, so maybe soon.

Yeah, the flu is non-existent this year it seems. Everything is covid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • mobenmoben Posts: 184 Deckhand
    The VA is giving walk in shots to any vet who is registered with them,
  • mobenmoben Posts: 184 Deckhand
    All ages. March 16_19 in Orlando.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 895 Officer
    1st dose tomorrow...
    edited March 2021 #50
    All ages. March 16_19 in Orlando

Do you have a reference for that?  I follow this stuff pretty closely and haven't seen any announcements. The VA has dropped the age requirement and is also vaccinating spouses. 

DeSantis has been talking about opening up the vaccine sites to all ages sometime in April. 

CVS and a few other places that get their vaccine directly from the feds rather than through state allocations have opened up to school employees regardless of age.  If you have a high-risk pre-existing condition, you can get vaccinated regardless of your age if your doctor fills out the proper form.  
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Posts: 1,981 Captain
    Carolyn and I got our final dose of moderna this week. Thanks to all those that took the time to contribute us
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Posts: 1,981 Captain
    Thanks to all those that contributed useful information, especially Doc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Posts: 1,405 Officer
    edited March 2021 #53
    Joanne and I had been holding off for awhile. We both have excellent immune systems, and with the limited availability, felt it best to wait so that so that someone with more pressing health issues could have their chance. We both now have received our first dosages at the VA. Online scheduling was simple, and we were in and out in about 20 minutes. No ill effects after the shots. 

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    Who did you contact @ the VA for a covid vaccination?  Rosie and I got our first @ the Citrus County place in Crystal River on 3/4 but didn't get a card or anything for the 2nd dose.  It's coming up soon and I would like to contact the VA.  We've been trying to call Citrus County but they blame the federal government for not supplying the vaccine.
    Alex  
    edited March 2021 #55
    Alex, in order to get the second shot you need the card indicating the type of vaccine you received and the date and site where you got the first injection.  Somebody screwed up big time.  Nobody will give you a second shot without that information.  They are not allowed to administer different vaccines and the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines have different times between the first and second shot.

You need to go in person to the county health department and get this straightened out.  They should have a record.  I have been able to get useful information by going there in person.  

I can help you out next week if you like.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Who did you contact @ the VA for a covid vaccination?  Rosie and I got our first @ the Citrus County place in Crystal River on 3/4 but didn't get a card or anything for the 2nd dose.  It's coming up soon and I would like to contact the VA.  We've been trying to call Citrus County but they blame the federal government for not supplying the vaccine.
    Alex  
    I agree with what Lee said. But just in case Citrus County can't come up with your record and a card for you, the Lecanto VA phone number for scheduling shots is (352) 746-8000. I hope you don't have to start over. The card is mandatory because it shows which vaccine and it's lot number that you received, and the date.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    Thanks Lee and Pete.  I'll go there Monday morning.  How about a Rainbow River trip Tuesday Lee?  
  • christopher15christopher15 Posts: 16 Deckhand
    I will get mine probably next week
    They are going to start vaccinating 50 on up next week.  The Hernando County registration portal opens at 3:00 PM today, 3/21/2021.

https://www.facebook.com/RepWebster/photos/a.246696595344941/4344611315553428/

• DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,913 Captain
    Fire Dept is giving mine this Sat.  Wife got thru to Publix early this morning and got scheduled for Wed.next week.
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
    Rosie and I went to Crystal River this morning and were turned away with no card or email verification that we received our 1st shots.  We came home and went back with the documentation and received our 2nd shots.  Yes we made sure we got our cards this time.  Done, done, done.