Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Flamingo - Bay or Backcountry

BigTimeBigTime Posts: 612 Officer
Been out in the backcountry a few times with mixed luck. Thinking about trying the bay side as I see many good reports and hear from people at the fillet station. I have been told to fish lake ingraham, slagle and house with knocker rigs / shrimp. Also been told to hit the grass around Palm and Friend key for Trout. Jig with shrimp bouncing on the bottom. 

What are you looking for when making the determination to fish one side vs the other. Wind direction? Tide? Just looking for some recommendations and guidance to make the long trip more productive. Really like redfish and trout and those have been my main targets. 

Replies

• Rebait2003Rebait2003 Posts: 122 Deckhand
    A lot of things would go into my decision on where to fish at Flamingo.  Weather, Tide, wind direction and how strong, time of year, etc.
    I was one that really liked fishing the inside better than fishing out front.  Winter time can be tough with all the wind and sometimes cold.   Sometimes If the was going to be good all day I would do the loop.  The run thru the inside out to the coast, down the coast to Lake Ingrahm, out thru east cape canal and around to Flamingo outside ramp.
    The tide and wind would dictate how and if I would do that.  One thing about the inside, if the wind picks up, there is always somewhere you can go to fish.  Out front when the wind gets cranking, it can make for a tough and bumpy day.
    In the fall, winter, and spring the fishing could be great either way.  If the wind was blowing, I would normally go inside and fish whitewater bay and then go out to the coast until the seabreeze would kick in and start blowing out of the west.  A lot of time the wind will be calm or out of the east in the morning and then change to the west in the afternoon with the seabreeze.  It can get really rough on the outside when the wind picks up in the afternoon.  Plan accordingly!
    Summer can is usually more calm, but is usually very hot and the skeeters can be overwhelming.  It's easier to get away from the skeeters out front unless you are up close to the islands and you let your scent get blown into the island.
    You have to play the wind right and bring lots of repellant.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 233 Deckhand
    I would add to what rebait said. If you are in whitewater bay and the wind picks up and gets lumpy. Move over to Joe River to get back the marina. It's almost all completely wind protected except for the last half mile or so.  
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,670 Captain
    Each area (inside or outside) fishes differently - and that tells the tale for me... For someone just learning fishing out of Flamingo and wanting reds and trout - I'd start with the outside, staying relatively close to Flamingo... For someone wanting a shot at a big tarpon this time of year - the interior is your best shot... 

Here's my best advice if you're learning the outside... fish the edges of channels (and remember you really really need to be careful it's all too easy to run up onto a flat that you couldn't see well and if you run aground you're on top of three feet of mud...) and around islands to start, being careful to work up to islands in the tiny channels that cut across flats that will almost go dry on a low tide...  Want to catch pinfish?  A chum bag in three or four feet of water along the channel edges of any grass flat with moving water will have them up and feeding (use a small sabiki tipped with bits of shrimp or squid for the pins..).  A word of caution - small sharks eat chumbags wherever you're catching pins so keep an eye on you chumbag... Stationing your boat along those same channel edges and fishing back across the channel will provide lots of opportunities for trout... and for redfish... Every small island near Flamingo has a "moat" a deeper small channel around every island and the redfish, snook, snapper, etc. can usually be found in the moat... 

This should get you started.   Make sure to bring a chart and never run at shallow areas, slow down and idle up to them stopping before you run aground... Every channel with moving water will hold a variety of species.. Once you begin to score with bait try using bucktail jigs or leadheads with either plastic or Gulp tails as well.  Toss those lures across the channel allow them to sink then bump them, just off the bottom across the current  to find out who's home... We try to stick to a "two catfish rule".... Catch two of them... and it's time to move somewhere else.  Good luck.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Maverick1Maverick1 Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Bob...what's the bait situation along the coast right mow from Middle Cape up to the Shark?

Thanks!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,670 Captain
    Lots of finger mullet and small mullet everywhere - but we mostly stick with ladyfish since they're a bycatch whenever we're fishing trout, reds, and snook with small lures or leadheads or bucktails... All the white bait is on the very small side now (and won't be hitting three inches long until mid summer.. For us the whitebait season gets going the end of summer up into fall until that first cold snap around Halloween sends them scooting back out into the Gulf... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666