Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Flamingo/Whitewater bay Questions

2»

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,670 Captain
    Every fish in that bay - is up under the mangroves... Next time you fish it toss small soft plastics rigged weedless up under the branches (bonefish skimmer jigs tipped with a tiny bit of shrimp also work well.... let the lure settle then twitch it on out.  When you get bit do your best to get the fish away from all those line snags and you're in business.... That bay is loaded with small tarpon, as well as redfish, snook, and trout - but all of them hang out around and under all those mangroves mostly... With a kayak you can slip into position silently and your best bet will always be on the upwind side of that bay since that's where the water is clearest.... You'll also notice that the heavy weed growth in the bay stops just short of the shoreline - that's another reason to work up under the branches... 

The good news about crocs is that they're fish eaters so most of us just ignore them... If you come across a big 'gator - those you stay away from since they're just plain dangerous.... 

Hope this helps.  "Be a hero.... take a kid fishing"
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 528 Officer
    Another day in cuht bay on the kayak. The boat is in the shop right now, no word on what's going on yet. Probably another 200 and we can't help you. Anyway, I started out around 10 am and was making my way through the pass from the pond to the bay, and its much easier to get through at high tide. Just my luck though there was a fallen tree. Took me a while to figure out what to do but i passed my kayak through underneath and climbed over the tree to get by.  Once out in the bay i trolled the north mangroves all the way to tarpon creek. I anchored a few times in interesting looking areas or places i saw fish, working the mangroves/flats. Then trolled tarpon creek up and back. Nothing. Was using gulp new penny on a weighted hook weedless and frozen shrimp on a jig head when anchored. Did see a lot of fish so i know they are there, just not hungry i guess. There was a cold front today and i think that turned off the bite.  Saw several very small tarpon, some reds, and a goliath that showed me his teeth. Peddled back, climbed over the tree again and got back to the truck around 330. Disappointed i got skunked but enjoyed seeing all the action under the mangroves. 
  • BigGuyinaLittleBoatBigGuyinaLittleBoat Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Just my luck though there was a fallen tree. Took me a while to figure out what to do but i passed my kayak through underneath and climbed over the tree to get by.  
    We're launching tomorrow morning at daybreak and had planned on using cuht bay instead of the canal. There's two of us in Hobie Outbacks loaded to the gills for the 8 day trip. Would you recommend the bay? I'd hate to get dropped off in Flamingo and be stuck waiting for the tide as we want to get through Whitewater before the afternoon winds.  
  • cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 528 Officer
    If you're loaded do not go cuht bay pond to cuht bay, use buttonwood canal. As of Thursday it's almost impassable (unless a ranger cleared it) and i was going very light. Sorry for the bad news as it adds another 3 miles or so to your journey but i wouldn't go that way if your loaded for a camping trip. 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,670 Captain
    Before you set out on your trip.. take a look at the weather please... Tomorrow is the last day that the weather is even half way decent (and it's showing rain chance 79 to 80%...). Starting Sunday my forecasts show winds at 15 to 25mph through Wednesday (and possibly Thursday...).  Might make for a very challenging trip... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • BigGuyinaLittleBoatBigGuyinaLittleBoat Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Before you set out on your trip.. take a look at the weather please... Tomorrow is the last day that the weather is even half way decent (and it's showing rain chance 79 to 80%...). Starting Sunday my forecasts show winds at 15 to 25mph through Wednesday (and possibly Thursday...).  Might make for a very challenging trip... 

If you're loaded do not go cuht bay pond to cuht bay, use buttonwood canal. As of Thursday it's almost impassable (unless a ranger cleared it) and i was going very light. Sorry for the bad news as it adds another 3 miles or so to your journey but i wouldn't go that way if your loaded for a camping trip. 
    We've been monitoring the weather for about 10 days now. We should have time to get through whitewater before it gets ugly. Then we'll be on the inside and should be good for the rest of the trip. If they had the old reservation system maybe we could have waited a few days, but with 3 month reservations it's not as easy as it used to be. We have a spot tracker and are prepared. 

And thanks for the heads-up Cranker! A little extra peddling is better than getting stuck.