Home General Freshwater Fishing

poons and snook in freshwater?

serpentseye266serpentseye266 Boca RatonPosts: 7 Deckhand
anyone know any landlocked snook/tarpon lakes in palm beach county?
just curious.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,607 Moderator
    Generally any body of water that is connected to salt through a canal or drain will hold them.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • serpentseye266serpentseye266 Boca RatonPosts: 7 Deckhand
    Generally any body of water that is connected to salt through a canal or drain will hold them.
    yeah im having quite a hard time finding those, spillways block saltwater entrances pretty close to the intercoastal. Im thinking about people that transported snook and tarpon to lakes?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,607 Moderator
    Storms bring them. Retention ponds etc.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 472 Deckhand
    Yeah just because theres a dam does not mean those fish are prevented from entering freshwater. In ft. Lauderdale where I am I don't have any go to spots but always come across a few snook and maybe some tarpon when fishing those canals close to the dams. You'd be very surprised at how far back inland and into the fresh those fish go...
    Yeah just because theres a dam does not mean those fish are prevented from entering freshwater. In ft. Lauderdale where I am I don't have any go to spots but always come across a few snook and maybe some tarpon when fishing those canals close to the dams. You'd be very surprised at how far back inland and into the fresh those fish go...
    in boca where i am, all the spillways have quite a bit of elevation so snook and tarpon cant get through. For example the spillway on military trail. But if you know any canals where the snook can get through, it would be great if you could let me know where they are!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,450 Captain
    I haven't chased canal tarpon in some years.. but here's a tip... If a canal is holding tarpon - you'll see them rolling at the surface at first light (particularly in warmer weather).  Most of the canals here in Broward that used to hold tarpon - no longer have a single one.  Once all the cities switched over to spraying herbicides to control weeds (instead of mechanically harvesting out the weeds...) all the tarpon disappeared - and they've never returned.... Wish it weren't so.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    in boca where i am, all the spillways have quite a bit of elevation so snook and tarpon cant get through. For example the spillway on military trail. But if you know any canals where the snook can get through, it would be great if you could let me know where they are!
    C14 canal in broward certainly does and in fact any of the major drainage canals through South Florida could have these fish... Including that one in boca. The Far East lock on that canal certainly could have fish on either side and the one further west by military I haven't fished and maybe its elevation is too high but the snook can get in through other canals. Remember most of these canals are all connected at some point. When it comes to "the spots" there aren't any specific areas because in reality the numbers of snook are sparse and you can run across them anywhere.

lemaymiami said:
    I haven't chased canal tarpon in some years.. but here's a tip... If a canal is holding tarpon - you'll see them rolling at the surface at first light (particularly in warmer weather).  Most of the canals here in Broward that used to hold tarpon - no longer have a single one.  Once all the cities switched over to spraying herbicides to control weeds (instead of mechanically harvesting out the weeds...) all the tarpon disappeared - and they've never returned.... Wish it weren't so.
    And along with what Captain Lemay says, these fisheries aren't nearly as fruitful as they used to be ( as with most across the state ) there just simply aren't that many snook or tarpon in these canals anymore. And actually thats an interesting correlation with the weed spraying I haven't thought about much. I remember when I was growing up the tarpon stacked up in my canal on the saltwater side of C-14 and you could catch quite a few all the way west to the everglades. But the past decade I hardly ever see any... even on the saltwater side. My theory has been that they have increased the amount of freshwater releases which has killed the saltwater side of the canal. In fact, most years recently, the dam will open mid late summer and remain open almost 24/7 until sometime in fall. On a dry year when they only occasionally open it, its amazing to see how quick the oysters in the canal will grow and how many different species of saltwater fish I see coming up (including things like large black drum and eagle rays!) but as soon as that dam stays open everything dies or gets pushed out. Even the snook dont stick around. Now this could be even further exacerbated by the use of these herbicides but the volume of freshwater itself is detrimental too.
    We moved to Pembroke Pines back in 1987 and there were tarpon in neighborhood lakes and the canal on the west side of Flamingo.  You could see them every morning if you bothered to look.... About thirty years ago most cities started the switch from harvesting weeds to clear canals to using sprayers in small skiffs - and that was the end of the tarpon - they just disappeared everywhere near my house.  I do see folks catching the occasional peacock at places where there used to be tarpon - but it's just sad... 

Years later, we're now seeing the seagrasses die off in the upper parts of Biscayne Bay from Government Cut northwards to Haulover.... I'm betting that residues from all the freshwater herbicides are finally a very real contributor to the problem since the waters from all of our canals eventually end up in the Intercoastal areas... To date I've not found any info that anyone is considering that possibility... 

It's been years since I did much fishing locally - all my daytime charters are out of Flamingo or Chokoloskee... My only local charters are night trips in the urban areas of the Bay... Along with the die-off of seagrasses there - the winter shrimp runs (the basis of my night charters... ) have fallen off little by little.  We still have fish to catch at night but the difference between what we find with a few shrimp around - and a full-blown run, night after night - is very noticeable to me... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • 1FSM1FSM Posts: 147 Deckhand
    While growing up in the 70's we used to fish for and occasionally catch snook and tarpon at Biscayne canal.
    There is a dam just at the border of Biscayne Park and Miami Shore at the golf course and we'd see snook and tarpon on the east (bay) side frequently.  We caught some moderate size snook and tarpon and lost many large ones.  You couldn't fish from the gold course (believe me we tried at early morning and evening and got caught several times) but my friend lived just down the canal from the dam and we'd paddle up there in aluminum boat and fish off the boat.  More than once we saw shadow of large shark there too.
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 158 Deckhand
    When I was a kid and now I am 53 years old. We use to go out with a few buddies of mine out sunrise Boulevard to the plantation high school area.  We used to have a couple dozen domestic shiners. And we would run into 6 to 9 pound bass in a school that would just gobbled them up patrolling a canal. For Tarpon it was simple if we caught brim. We Would put them on a cork in the canal near 441. In the summertime it was on. Lemaymiami understands!
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 228 Deckhand
    Does anyone know who decides whether to spray or mechanically harvest the weeds?  The South Fl. Water Management folks?
    Its actually the FWC I believe. One of the crony acts passed because the people on FWC's board aren't scientists but land developers so it was easy to convince them that spaying herbicides is more economical/effective than mechanical harvest. Now the sprayers who have the contracts get millions from the state and have no incenticve to control spraying, in fact its the opposite because the more spray they use the more they get paid.

https://myfwc.com/license/aquatic-plants/florida-statutes/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1CEpyh59KEmYRonq1q4J7A/videos

This guys youtube channel has a lot of info on the cronyism and indiscriminate spraying. Warning, these videos will make you quite angry about how our state treats our waters
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 235 Deckhand
    As a couple have mentioned the c14 definitely has them. I went down there when I just had to catch a snakehead and was pretty surprised when a rather large tarpon rolled by one of the bridges. 

Are these fish getting in the canals as fry or do they make it in as adults too? I knew that tarpon exist in fresh water but I was genuinely amazed at how big this one looked.
    As a couple have mentioned the c14 definitely has them. I went down there when I just had to catch a snakehead and was pretty surprised when a rather large tarpon rolled by one of the bridges. 

Are these fish getting in the canals as fry or do they make it in as adults too? I knew that tarpon exist in fresh water but I was genuinely amazed at how big this one looked.
    even on the freshwater side? i was thinking about fishing the spillway that the canal leads to.
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 235 Deckhand

even on the freshwater side? i was thinking about fishing the spillway that the canal leads to.
    85% sure it was the c14 but it may have been the system a bit more south. Definitely a not total dink tarpon in the fresh water. Not a keys bridge tarpon but bigger than a mega snook.

If you really want to catch one, not specifically, catch one in fresh water you should try the beach in the fall. You will 100% find them with the big mullet schools. 
  • reddrumregaliareddrumregalia Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Have caught freshie snook in the boca canals by fau and the one by military you speak of. Have not seen tarpon at any of the boca canals or spillways in what seems like over a decade, but i dont fish them much. i have seen 40+ inch snook swim/waddle/jump over the concrete barrier like salmon running upstream jumping a dam in alaska. Pretty crazy sight. 
    Every canal down here in paradise leads to saltwater eventually.  All that’s needed is for a snook or tarpon to swim “upstream” when the gates are open - then stay there if they like it.  Fish like a big jack crevalle will also do the same thing occasionally but they need to return to the salt so when you find them up in a freshwater area they won’t eat at all...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,841 Captain
    I caught one big crevalle back in the 80’s fishing the c-14 canal at the spillway in the world of palm aire. I use to see them often, but they usually wouldn’t eat. Back then the shad were so thick in there would just dip net them as they schooled up and swam the walls of the spillway. I’ve seen and caught decent tarpon and snook in that same canal from the glades ( end of south gate boulevard then), all the way back to the spillway behind pine crest school which goes straight to the intercostal waterway. I noticed as the shad population went away , the fishing dropped off quite a bit. Glad I got to experience a little bit of the good ole days.