Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boat insurance options

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,567 Captain
Not sure where to post this so I'll start here.  Just got my boat insurance policy renewal and Geico raised me 25%......that's with a multi-boat discount, 10+ years as a customer and zero claims. Guess it's time to look at options. Does anyone have some suggestions? I know there are a lot of "new boaters" but a 25% increase is crazy.

Replies

• qotsaautopilotqotsaautopilot Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Used progressive brokered through AAA
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 249 Deckhand

Chris Bradley
    Bradley Insurance Group, Inc 
    Allstate "Agent of the Year"

954-977-4500    954-692-9076 fax 

//\\ I just copied and pasted his information from my email 

He took good care of us and saved us several hundred per year 

He’s very boat knowledgeable 

Vs the other companies 

• CapnSkipCapnSkip East Central FloridaPosts: 12 Deckhand
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 875 Officer
    Every boat, home port, etc. is going to be different rates although I just jumped through the hoops to insure my new boat and will try to attach a spreadsheet with my quotes although going through Boat US / Geico was the cheapest although Allstate came in second.  I actually used Allstate as my vehicles are insured through them.  State Farm was three times as much, that is why I left them with my auto's after 45 years without a claim.  Sea Tow/Sea Insure was two times as expensive as Allstate and Boat US.  I ended up insuring my boat for more than listed on the quotes but I was trying to compare apples to apples.  I also increased my limits and purchased an umbrella policy.  I believe Boat US / Geico includes a reimbursement if you pull your boat out for a hurricane and store it in a rack storage facility, they reimburse half the cost.  They also include a Boat US towing membership although most do a reimbursement for towing but I still prefer to have Sea Tow on speed dial.  Hopefully this helps.  

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,313 Officer
    Used Progressive through HH Insurance. Good deal and great service.
  • qotsaautopilotqotsaautopilot Posts: 73 Deckhand
    FYI my progressive policy is for coastal navigation which means 75 miles from shore.  I figured I never go that far out and Bimini is within 75miles of Florida but low and behold the fine print states within 75 miles from shore unless you are in waters of another country besides the United States.  So, no Bahamas coverage.  I’ll have to make an adjustment or reshop it before this summer.
  • HAIR-LARIOUSHAIR-LARIOUS Posts: 178 Deckhand
    FYI my progressive policy is for coastal navigation which means 75 miles from shore.  I figured I never go that far out and Bimini is within 75miles of Florida but low and behold the fine print states within 75 miles from shore unless you are in waters of another country besides the United States.  So, no Bahamas coverage.  I’ll have to make an adjustment or reshop it before this summer.
    Thank you for the intel I am shopping around 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,223 AG
    I'm going to have to start looking now too.  I wonder if i can just in sure the motor.   
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • BattlefishBattlefish Jacksonville, FLPosts: 203 Deckhand
    I have American Integrity https://www.aiicfl.com/ they covered $188 in towing when I blew a trailer wheel bearing at the St Aug ramp. No issues, reasonable rates. 
    Fishing YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyKdiam7vzvGthpaR1Anrdw 

BattleFish
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,223 AG
    i tried getting a quote from BoatUS who i have my towing with.   They teamed up with Geico and their automated quote was 355 for the year, ok not terrible but i wasn't ready to buy then  i get an email that the quote is actually 455 ok what does that cover?  10k including the brand new motor i haven't even taken possession of yet.    WHAT??? No, not even close.   forget it.   
    So i'm back to square 1 looking to insure the boat/motor.  
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
    i tried getting a quote from BoatUS who i have my towing with.   They teamed up with Geico and their automated quote was 355 for the year, ok not terrible but i wasn't ready to buy then  i get an email that the quote is actually 455 ok what does that cover?  10k including the brand new motor i haven't even taken possession of yet.    WHAT??? No, not even close.   forget it.   
    So i'm back to square 1 looking to insure the boat/motor.  
    A neighbor uses Boat US/Geico insurance and they reimburse him half the cost if a Hurricane Warning is issued for this county and he takes his boat off the condo lift and places it in an inside storage at a marina.  It was a few dollars less than Allstate and next year I am going to change to them.  
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,567 Captain
    Thanks for all the ideas/feedback.  I've gotten quotes from a bunch of companies.  I think I'm getting close to making a choice.  All I can say is that the rates are all over the board and I think each situation is a bit different so it makes sense to shop your policy.   For me NBOA is the front runner but still going through the final details.
  • Serenity NowSerenity Now Posts: 442 Deckhand
    They absolutely cover the Bahamas.  Have them send you the section that gives you Bahamian coverage.  It extends past and includes Hopetown Etc. Trust me I didn’t believe it at first but they sent me an email from THIER book that gave me the actual GPS last/long limits of their coverage.

they treated me amazingly when my boat was stolen and as it was a total loss they REPLACED it at no costs.  Made a customer for life from me based on the full replacement package they have.

GL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Surreel Life"
    2014 Seahunt Gamefish 25
  • Serenity NowSerenity Now Posts: 442 Deckhand
    Found it.  It’s called the Declaration Page and it lists the coordinates.

north to include all Abacos
    75.30 To East 
    24 to south
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Surreel Life"
    2014 Seahunt Gamefish 25
  • ric1ric1 Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Every boat, home port, etc. is going to be different rates although I just jumped through the hoops to insure my new boat and will try to attach a spreadsheet with my quotes although going through Boat US / Geico was the cheapest although Allstate came in second.  I actually used Allstate as my vehicles are insured through them.  State Farm was three times as much, that is why I left them with my auto's after 45 years without a claim.  Sea Tow/Sea Insure was two times as expensive as Allstate and Boat US.  I ended up insuring my boat for more than listed on the quotes but I was trying to compare apples to apples.  I also increased my limits and purchased an umbrella policy.  I believe Boat US / Geico includes a reimbursement if you pull your boat out for a hurricane and store it in a rack storage facility, they reimburse half the cost.  They also include a Boat US towing membership although most do a reimbursement for towing but I still prefer to have Sea Tow on speed dial.  Hopefully this helps.  

You are correct about what Geico covers. Have used them for years and after shopping annually,  I am very happy. 
    Be careful with Progressive,  it's much more than just a name. If you're at all interested,  do some research and discover how they use your money and what else you will be supporting financially. 
    Instead of giving your children everything you didn't have, teach them everything you didn't know. I promise their future will turn out better! :wink
  • JWPBJWPB West Palm BeachPosts: 253 Deckhand
    How do people manage rack storage for named storms?  facilities I spoke with when I bought a boat had a wait list for annual storage so I never asked about named storm temporary storage. 
    Jupiter 29FS
    JWPB said:
    How do people manage rack storage for named storms?  facilities I spoke with when I bought a boat had a wait list for annual storage so I never asked about named storm temporary storage. 
    Although rack storage might be full, during a hurricane they place boats on jacks inside the facility on the floor and pile additional boats in which is safe.  I see you are from Palm Beach but costs would be similar as here which I just went last Friday to arrange my "hurricane plan" as follows:  River Watch Marina and Meridian Marina / Stuart Marina (Not sure of the name now as it was recently sold) both have hurricane plans.  My 2500 Pathfinder at River Watch was $1,000 by May 1.  If a storm comes, they pull it out and store it, return to water after the storm.  Then another 1,000 to guarantee a spot for next storm.  None are refundable if a storm doesn't come.  Meridian was $1,000 by May 1, non refundable and if a storm comes, they pull, store, and return and then it is half price in case a second storm comes.
  • JWPBJWPB West Palm BeachPosts: 253 Deckhand
    edited February 23 #19
    JWPB said:
    Although rack storage might be full, during a hurricane they place boats on jacks inside the facility on the floor and pile additional boats in which is safe.  I see you are from Palm Beach but costs would be similar as here which I just went last Friday to arrange my "hurricane plan" as follows:  River Watch Marina and Meridian Marina / Stuart Marina (Not sure of the name now as it was recently sold) both have hurricane plans.  My 2500 Pathfinder at River Watch was $1,000 by May 1.  If a storm comes, they pull it out and store it, return to water after the storm.  Then another 1,000 to guarantee a spot for next storm.  None are refundable if a storm doesn't come.  Meridian was $1,000 by May 1, non refundable and if a storm comes, they pull, store, and return and then it is half price in case a second storm comes.

Thanks for the info.
    Jupiter 29FS