Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore?

chicochico Punta Gorda Posts: 563 Officer
Anyone get offshore recently? I know the wind has been blowing, but the few trips that I know of that got out did well. I have an offshore trip booked tomorrow out of Nokomis.  Will post a report, and pictures if possible. Recently moved here full time and still have not found the bag with cameras, etc.  Will use my phone. 

Replies

• chicochico Punta Gorda Posts: 563 Officer
    We got lucky and had a good offshore weather day, first one in a while. We decided to skip the live bait and get to the fishing grounds a bit earlier. After a rather cold ride out we made a few stops in the 110' water, finding fish, but not hungry ones. It took about 4 or 5 stops before we hit a group of hungry fish, I dropped a gray and glow 80 gram slow pitch jig down and in short order put two keepers in the box, we put another nice one in the box that went for the squid bait, we released a few small keeper size and moved on. All day was just a pick, a few fish at each stop before they stopped biting. Most spots had fish with lockjaw, but by 1:30 we our 6 man limit and concentrated on trying to put some snapper on ice. Captain Joe put the two nicest mangroves in the boat with his superior skills, the rest of us caught some smaller 15" mangroves and plenty of lanes, we released one BIG trigger along with a few smaller ones. With  couple of us sporting sore backs (due mostly to age) he headed back in about 3:30. All in all a good day. Looking forward to fishing warmer days on the offshore waters with my favorite, Capt. Joe Miller!!
  • Reeltight79Reeltight79 Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Sounds like a great day! Never a bad day with captain joe!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,836 Moderator
    Thanks for your report. For those that can get out you did show that a good plan can work. 
     Welcome to being a permanent resident of the SW region.
     larrywitt