Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

Re-glueing Ugly Stik Reel Seat?

Hi! Newbie here. I have a 7' UL Ugly Stick where the reel seat has literally come unglued. I can hold the reel and turn/twist both the cork grip below the reel seat and the rod blank above the reel seat. So, the question is, how do I re-glue the reel seat so it doesn't spin/move? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• louislouis Posts: 28 Deckhand
    You can take reel off.  Drill a hole under where the real foot is.  Mix up som 24 hour epoxy suck it up in a syringe and squeeze in hole.  Squeeze some in spin reel seat around squeeze some more in rotate again this is so you get it distributed all the way around once youve done this a couple times squeeze a bunch in and let set up.  You want to use the longer cure time so yo dont have to rush.  When you think you have enough get your real seat where you want it just electric tape or dict tape it so it doesnt move.  If any glue runs out the hole just sant it flat.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,113 Captain
    edited January 13 #3
    You’re not going to like it... First you have to remove either the butt grip or the foregrip ( and if you remove the foregrip...  then you have to remove all of the guides as well...).  Call me and I’ll talk you through how to do the repair.  If you had a pro do it... it would be cheaper to buy a new rod... Here’s my number (954)435-5666
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 336 Deckhand
    Remove the reel - drive 2 holes in the real seat - just break thru the plastic, don't go further or you'll drill into the blank and weaken it - use gorilla glue in both holes, make sure it is aligned properly and leave.  Trim off the glue that expanded outside the holes an go fishing.

I did this with an Ugly Stik Jigging Rod a few years back - still working fine.