Home Ask the Law!

Disrespectful Neighbor

candersoncanderson Lawtey, FlPosts: 1 Greenhorn
Not really sure that anything can be done but a guy bought a couple acres next to my property and we have about 7 deer that hang out around here and he's planning on hunting it. We have already caught him hunting out off season and advised him that the season had been over for several months, this was last year. Well he's showed back up this past weekend and looking like he's ready to hunt. Now that it's season there's nothing I can say but my wife is concerned about someone like this hunting so close to our home. Is there anything we can do being he is on his own property?

Replies

• cortrcortr Posts: 336 Deckhand
    There are laws against hunting close to residences. Check with FWC
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,036 AG
    cortr said:
    there are not, check with FWC, to many Karen's in this world
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 53 Deckhand
    I could not find anything specific against hunting close to residences, but it may depend on zoning and population density, which probably doesn't apply in this case.

Title XLVI
    CRIMES
    Chapter 790
    WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
    View Entire Chapter
    790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.
    (2) Any occupant of any vehicle who knowingly and willfully discharges any firearm from the vehicle within 1,000 feet of any person commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (3) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly directs any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:
    (a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
    (b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or
    (c) To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm.
    History.—s. 1, ch. 3289, 1881; RS 2683; GS 3626; RGS 5557; CGL 7743; s. 1, ch. 61-334; s. 745, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 78-17; s. 1, ch. 89-157; s. 229, ch. 99-245; s. 77, ch. 2012-7; s. 3, ch. 2012-108; s. 1, ch. 2016-12.

The 2020 Florida Statutes

2014 Hobie Sport
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 8,418 Admiral
    If it were me I would just ask my neighbor for a strap and maybe a few pounds of ground.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,344 Captain
    edited December 2020 #6
    cortr said:
    You should fact check yourself. I’ll lean against your dock and limit out on ducks while you can take my picture. In the city.B)
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,468 Admiral
    edited December 2020 #7
    In Florida it is 2 1/2 Acres or larger..Shoot away. Out of City Limits anyway.
    How long have you lived there ? Are there other Parcels where Folks hunt near you ?
    Is your Wife afraid of Guns ?
    Ever ate any Venison ?  You.ve CAUGHT Him hunting out of Season..Are you watching him every time he comes out his front door  or is he blasting Airplants out of the trees.
    There is not 7 Deer there..there are a bunch you just haven't seen.
    I see by your Avatar that you hunt..Go have a Beer with him and maybe Hunt with him.
    The Deer are not your wife's pets
    Heck of a Nice Elk by the way
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,036 AG
    In Florida it is 2 1/2 Acres or larger..Shoot away. Out of City Limits anyway.
    How long have you lived there ? Are there other Parcels where Folks hunt near you ?
    Is your Wife afraid of Guns ?
    Ever ate any Venison ?  You.ve CAUGHT Him hunting out of Season..Are you watching him every time he comes out his front door  or is he blasting Airplants out of the trees.
    There is not 7 Deer there..there are a bunch you just haven't seen.
    I see by your Avatar that you hunt..Go have a Beer with him and maybe Hunt with him.
    The Deer are not your wife's pets
    Heck of a Nice Elk by the way
    It is not 2.5 acres or larger, Google it, hint: residential density is key.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,393 Officer
    I'm fairly sure that most all of you can read; and I recommend that you stop asking the internet warrior crowd for legal advice.  The laws are plain and simple on this issue; that is, if you'll just take 30 seconds and read them. Amazing what you can learn on your computer.
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 199 Deckhand
    At minimum 1 acre to shoot ..had a neighbor go ballistic on me ...apologized after he had the sheriff explain it to him
  • loweboyloweboy MiamiPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    seriously? Let the guy bag a deer. You might enjoy a little bit of pet chili......who knows.
  • CapnSkipCapnSkip East Central FloridaPosts: 12 Deckhand
    there are not, check with FWC, to many Karen's in this world

What's a Karen?