Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Cobia off Marco and Points South?

I saw a post on another forum saying that Cobia had been hot lately off Marco.  I'm going down later this week, running my boat out of Goodland.  Can anyone give me any info?  Love to get hold of a Cobia but I'm not much schooled on how to fish for them.
The view from here...

ATcvO3Pt.jpg

Replies

• Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 809 Officer
    We used to run the marker poles that sit just outside the mangroves marking the edge of the National Park and you will see them swimming on the surface by the poles.  We also ran to the sunken barges that sit about 20 miles offshore.  Pinfish is all you need for bait usually.  Sometimes they get lockjaw just like snook do.  Most of the time they will eat anything.  I dont know how bad the Goliath Grouper are now on those barges.  I would think if you set up and chummed you could get them to come to you.
  • CataholicCataholic Posts: 22 Deckhand
    Thanks so much.  I've fished some wrecks offshore down there in years past but never when any Cobia were around.  

Now I gotta get some pinfish.   ;)
    The view from here...

ATcvO3Pt.jpg
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,275 Captain
    The next few months will be prime time for them... and along the coast of the 'glades they're mostly out around markers, wrecks and other structure - but not always... This one from two weeks ago was hooked up in less than three feet of water next to a wild mangrove shoreline (and it was just under the 33" slot - remember the slot is measured on cobia from the fork not the end of the tail....).

Years ago when I first started guiding we'd catch them by setting out a chum bag near a likely marker then catch the pinfish in the chumline and set them out along the bottom with a 20 or 30lb rod and just enough egg sinker to keep them on the bottom with at least 60lb mono for a leader.  While fishing for "other species" with lures that bottom rod would pay off every now and then..  No drop back ever...leave reel in gear and in rod holder... Don't touch the rod until it's bending over and the reel is screaming...

"Be a hero... take a kid fishing"!
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,816 Admiral
    Chokoloskee Rock Barges at first light...all I got to say.
    Killin and Grillin :grin