Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Animals in the 10k area.

One of the nice things about fishing in the 10k area is the variety
of animals you see.
   Over the years,I've seen a bobcat,opossums,raccoons by the
hundreds,manatees and of course dolphins.Then last week,I
saw a otter in the Buttonwood area.
   Someday hope to see a black bear and deer,but not yet.

Replies

• Paucan6005Paucan6005 Port of the islandsPosts: 69 Deckhand
    Drive thru the port of the islands lots of bears around now
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,275 Captain
    The 10K area still has lots of critters... Can't say the same thing over towards Flamingo where those darned snakes have eaten all the small warm-blooded critters.  When I first went down to Flamingo in 1974 you had to be so careful towing your rig before sunup or after the sun went down since there were always animals in the roadway at one place or another (and the road from the front gate down to Flamingo is the only road in the entire Park for all practical purposes...).  Nowadays the only roadkill you will ever see on that 38 mile stretch is an occasional bird or reptile carcass - otherwise the roadway is nice and clean...  I haven't seen a single rabbit along the side of the road since 2005 before hurricane Wilma.  For many years before that I expected to see numbers of them sitting just onto the area where the grass is cut down along Taylor Slough and other places just before dawn or at dusk.  I thought that the hurricane might have cut back the rabbits - but we didn't know much about the pythons back then... 

You can still find lots of critters but not near Flamingo I'm afraid.  Wish it weren't so.   You can bet as well that if the forage species are gone that the predators have had to re-locate as well... Yesterday along the gulf coast near the Little Shark river my angler was pointing out raccoons foraging along the shoreline at low tide... Can't remember the last time I saw a raccoon near Flamingo, only twenty miles back to the east from the west coast.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,816 Admiral
    edited December 2020 #4
    Salt Water Croks are pretty cool...
    Use to be a couple Deer at Darwin's Place...might still be there.
    It's Poor Country for anything that don't swim and eat Oysters and dead fish regular.
    No See Ums don't help either.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    I've actually seen deer along the south side of the Turner River almost within sight of Chokoloskee on occasion.  Can't say I've ever seen a croc north of the Rogers River (plenty of them around Flamingo and particularly around Cape Sable and Ingraham).  During winters I always expect to see big 'gators around the Rogers and Broad everyone in pure saltwaters... 
    Here's a croc I see almost every day at the ramp down at Flamingo... 

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,218 Officer
    edited December 2020 #6
    In the early 1970s I saw a croc in a residential canal in Naples. Have not seen one that far north since. Naples was small town then. Have seen a lot of deer just south of Naples swimming across the intercoastal from the main land to Keewaydin  Island, Also see Loons in the area. I love to here their call.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • AndrewFLAndrewFL Posts: 54 Deckhand
    I have seen a crocodile north of Rogers river: I saw the croc driving on San Marco road. Definitely the coolest animal I have ever seen in North America. They look so different than alligators, got some great pictures and video to prove that I saw it. Keep your “eyes peeled” driving that road, especially at night.
    The first time most see an American saltwater crocodile they realize it’s not a ‘gator since it looks a lot different...  If one is walking on land their hind legs are longer than any ‘gator and it makes their rear ends stick up noticeably - like the Coyote sneaking up on the Roadrunner ( or at least trying to sneak up on that famous cartoon critter...)

I’ve actually seen big crocs come racing out of the bush to scoot across a wild beach heading to the water when spooked- using only their hind legs like a small lizard...
    Quite a sight.  I’ve even seen one specimen that was every bit as big as my skiff (almost17’ long...) and still the biologists tell us they’re “fish eaters”...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • MarcoBobMarcoBob Marco IslandPosts: 50 Deckhand
    Last August I was fishing the inside shoreline of Turtle Key when I saw something blue in the mangroves. It looked like a tarp. I pointed it out to my friend and as we both looked at it we saw a panther walk through a small shaded clearing. We only saw the panther for a few seconds but it was unmistakable. I count myself fortunate for seeing it since there are only a few hundred of them in SW Florida.
  • Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 82 Deckhand
    WOW !!
    On my way to Rabbit Key a couple years ago I was told to steer clear of Turtle Key due to mating alligators.
    2014 Hobie Sport
    Mating ‘gators around saltwater?  That I’d like to see - the places I’d avoid during mating season would be small ponds and sloughs way back up inside...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 920 Officer
    I don't think that they mate on land but I may be wrong. I have seen them mating in the water.
  • saltlife1010saltlife1010 Ft lauderdale Posts: 7 Deckhand
    Saw a bobcat on one of the islands off rabbit key pass yesterday which I thought was rare.. I swear I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.  
    Yeah, I was thinking I was being joshed.  Thx  <hangs head in shame>
    2014 Hobie Sport
    We see bobcats at times occasionally swimming from one island to another up and down the coast of the 'glades.  if the pythons don't get all the small warm-blooded mammals that bobcats need to eat they'll stick around.  We've seen a mating pair years ago running up and down the beach near Graveyard Creek on one occasion... When a bobcat's in the water swimming you can get pretty close to one since it's just concentrating on its destination.  All you see is the top of its head, kind of dirty orange... I've only seen one panther over the years - but quite a few of the smaller bobcats... 

As far as the mating and nesting of 'gators and crocs - they're actually quite different - a female 'gator builds her nest on top of the ground with mud, sand, debris and sticks along with leaves - the croc on the other hand burrows into a soft sandy bank to hide her eggs... 

The only place I've ever seen more than an occasional  'gator in the salt... is the entrance to the Rogers River along the north bank and the south bank of the Broad River... The ones there are big ones and they've learned to steal fishermen's catch off of the hook.  The ones I'm familiar will station themselves near you when you're fishing a small creek - just waiting for you to hook something they can steal...  I don't like to see 'gators in the wild that aren't afraid of people since they're just plain dangerous... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • BobberreduxBobberredux Posts: 18 Deckhand
    Camped many times over the years in the back country,Plate Creek,Lostman's 5,Willy Willy,etc.  Always lots of small gators around the chickees, red eyes at night. They are just curious about us. Not going swimming around there anyway. 
    I know thousands of people camp in ENP every year.  I've wanted to camp on Rabbit Key for a few years and I've gotten advice on thwarting raccoons at night.  Now do I need to know anything else or take precautions about the cats too?  Will they rummage around in my stuff like the raccoons do you think or are they a lot more shy than the raccoons?
    2014 Hobie Sport
    Never heard of cats coming in close to people the way raccoons do (raccoons are trouble enough...).  That said I'm not much of a camper - all of my efforts are about the water so we only see the occasional cat from the water.  I'll be paying attention to see what others have found... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • DavidwittDavidwitt Posts: 8 Deckhand
    In June of last year, my son and I saw a black bear walk across Tamiami Trail around 10 miles W of Miccosukee Village. We have traveled that road over 20 times and didn’t expect to see a bear. It was a really cool sighting.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,816 Admiral
    Mamy years of running the Islands..Lot's of Racoons , couple Bobcats , a couple Deer , a couple Croks and a bunch of high and dry boats...
    When you come close they all pretend their just wading around looking at stuff..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • hodag_guyhodag_guy Posts: 70 Deckhand
    When not fishing we like to run the Big Cypress trails north of the Alley on bikes. We've seen deer, gators and the usual bird life. Two years ago when stopped at a gator pond I looked back down the trail and saw a sow and 3 cubs leisurely cross where we had been just a couple minutes before. I've seen plenty of bears back home but didn't expect to see them slogging around in the water filled Cypress. Way cool for us to see.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 809 Officer
    My cousin took me to an indian mound in Fakahatchee Strand a long time ago.  We waded in through the wood and when we got to it he showed me where a black bear had climbed a small cabbage palm tree and had ripped the heart out of it to eat.  All the fronds were pushed down and the tree was dying.  We didnt see any bears, but you knew they were there
  • tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Posts: 471 Deckhand
    I read that Seahorse Key near Cedar Key had a very large number of Cottonmouths. Is that common in the 10k as well?
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 146 Deckhand
    AndrewFL said:
    I saw the croc driving on San Marco road. 
    Crocs driving cars, that's a game-changer!
  • tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Posts: 471 Deckhand
    Mostly cougars driving cars there.
    Since I spent my  teenage years woods running and fishing up in north Alabama I've seen more cottonmouths than I ever wanted to... There might be some in the 'glades -but I've never seen even one of them (and I've been running the 'glades for a lot of years...).  What I do see from time to time are small rattlesnakes (rarely more than four feet long), swimming by my skiff when we're way back up into sweetwater areas or sliding across the road as I'm towing my skiff down to Flamingo....  That one exception by the way was nearly eight feet long - the most perfect eastern diamondback I've ever seen - and it was swimming across Buttonwood Canal one afternoon as we were returning to the boat ramp.  Since it was only 200 yards from the ramp you can guess that I keep a sharp eye around me every day I'm down there... As for pythons -there's a ton of them on the Flamingo side of the 'glades - but I've only seen three of them over the years.  You know they're around though since it's been years since I've seen even one dead warm blooded critter on the road down to Flamingo (and when I first came to the 'glades you could count on seeing a half dozen roadkills any day you went down that road.  Them darned snakes are just slow moving silent death at night for any warm blooded animal... Wish it weren't so...  Can't remember seeing a single swamp rabbit or raccoon in that area since 2005.... 

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Paucan6005Paucan6005 Port of the islandsPosts: 69 Deckhand
    Plenty of cottonmouths on the fresh water side of 41 . See them up the faka union occasionally. Snake hunter got bit by a small one recently on the loop. 
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 505 Officer
    When I was a kid back in the 80’s me and my dad seen a pig on fakahatchee island.  It was not a boar/hog it was a pink farm pig. 
  • MynkiMynki UKPosts: 12 Deckhand
    I've seen two American crocodiles in Lake Placid, Everglades City. We stayed at River Wilderness where the manager advised they'd been spotted daily a few years ago. In 2019 on a later visit my six year old son hooked a 7' gator when fishing off the dock at the same property on a large,live shrimp. An experience none of us will ever forget. Before we arrived they'd had a lot of rain reducing the salinity resulting in a few gators moving a little further south than normal. 

A few miles up the road in Big Cypress we've seen a lot of deer, a couple of bears, oposums, rabbits and raccoons. 

We've driven on Turner River Road and Wagon Wheel Road many times at dusk and dawn wildlife spotting. There's lots of cotton mouths, the odd eastern diamond rattler, Florida kingsnakes, corn snakes,the odd garter snake and millions of water snakes around there. 

I've seen mantees in 10k and a few miles north in freshwater too. A few times opposite Wootons. 
  • nmfishnmfish MiamiPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Some of those animals get further east, too. I live right off Tamiami trail in the 130s. There was a panther hit and killed about a decade ago at TT and around 157th, east of krome. I saw a dead coyote a few years ago on 127th just north of NW 12th.