Home Off Topic

New roof

Gary SGary S Posts: 2,728 Captain
Couple weeks ago we decided after a year of trying to get a roofer to come out and give us a price to get a new roof. Actually a nasty gram from the insurance company got us off our back sides and got serious about getting quotes. We decided and waited for the fun to start. They showed up on a Thursday morning with dark clouds hanging over the house and started tearing off the roof. About a quarter the way down the backside it started raining, out came the plastic and covered it up. After a hour of rain delay progress restarted and with only a couple sprinkles they got most of the backside tore off and dried in. 
 Friday they showed up bright and early to a steady rain so they had their breakfast in the carport along with a  long nap until around 10 when they decided to go ahead and call it a day. Twenty minutes after they left it stopped raining. But to be fair, it only lasted until 2. 
 Monday they were back on the job and made a real dent in the roof. They got probably 80% of the roof off and dried in without any rain delay. Tuesday they finished tear off and dry in completed along with a small repair of rotten wood and hot mopping a flat deck.
 Eve drip was in the works and installing valley metal, all was going well until they ran out. About 2/3 of the way around. Took a week before the came back, it was raining and they couldn't get on the roof. So breakfast in the carport and a nap. They decided to go to another job and cleanup and would be back later. which they were and they got the rest of the eve drip installed and finished nailing down the tar paper. 
 Last time they was here was Tuesday, shingles are on the roof and I'm still waiting. I'm not used to having someone else do things around my house, but at 66 3700 square foot of roofing isn't in me any more.

Replies

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 6,486 Admiral
    Higher another company.  They're either sorry or trying to keep you locked down to using them
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,406 Captain
    edited November 2020 #3
    Unfortunately, 90% of these contractors in South Florida are no good male chicken suckers, which is a shame for the other <10% of good ones. I built a 1500 sq ft shop to house my crap and the concrete contractor was so bad I kicked him off the project, took it over as owner builder, and promptly did my best do destroy his business everywhere I could write a review. 

**** me? No, **** you, you male chicken sucker.

Then I swore to never undertake another project that I couldn't do myself. I'm very understanding, and forgiving, but I have my limits. When that line gets crossed... well you guys can see I can be a ****.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,021 Captain
    Man, your timing is excellent.  My place here is sold and in escrow now and the buyer's inspector vetoed my roof.  The prevailing wind comes from the west, my home is oriented N/S so the weather side is pretty bad.  Edges of tje shingles are curling and turned black, so expected that, but east side looks almost new.

Neighbor is a roofer and gave me an estimate to do west side only that was fair - $1,200 for 9x70.  Then buyer's RE agent sent a contractor who said whole roof is bad and it'll be $5,800.  Ouch.  A few days later she sent a 2nd roofing contractor who got me up on roof and gave me a big rigamarole about how the east side shingles weren't interlocked properly, blah blah blah and need to be replaced, too - $4,400.  I don't believe either of them - that east side has been on there for 12 or more years, looks almost new and doesn't leak.

My realtor is sending His guy tomorrow, so we'll see.

I'd be Very interested in how you got your insurance co. to pay for the roof.  The price I got for this place will get me to FL and buy me a home, but that $5,800 is most of my boat money....and I "will" have a boat - 2 boats - when I get there, if I hafta hock the family jewels.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,252 Admiral
    Buyers Inspector...what a joke..
    He's getting paid to find something wrong , anything.
    Has the roof leaked before ? I,d consider the roof if no leaks to be normal wear and tear and would not replace it..and I made my living off of Inspection report repairs for 25 years.
    I sold my personal home with 25 year old shingles and no leaks ..Their trying to get a new roof for free. If your not desperate I'd tell them NFW..

Buy the Boat
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 37,041 AG
    Replace the roof or risk having the buyer walk away. Also means the Realtor has to notify any future buyers about the roof if I understand the law correctly. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,809 Captain
    Agree 100% with TRT. The inspector has probably never worked a day in the construction industry. He cannot make you do anything. Maybe offer them $1000.00 of the selling price, but unless the real estate market is really bad out there, they wouldn’t be getting a roof. 
    edited November 2020 #8
    He already lost one buyer. This is the second one he will lose if the guy walks. 

Insurance may also be an issue for the buyer if the roof fails inspection, leaking or not.

Will set him back another 60 days or more on moving. No guarantee the next buyer's inspection doesn't say the roof is bad. 

He needs to decide which is worse. New roof or trying to find a buyer that won't care about the roof. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• dave44dave44 Posts: 14,435 AG
    If you want to be a contractor, but have no idea what you’re doing, and you have a serious control problem, you become an inspector. Or a politician.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,764 Captain
    edited November 2020 #10
    We had a buyer and their inspector found a few issues and scared the buyer with a report of faulty breaker box and a faulty connection box. My electrician said the box wasn’t faulty and met code at time of construction and the inspector was incorrect. My electrician fixed the breaker box and removed a wall mounted extension cord (faulty connection box). The inspector also turned the irrigation system on and started playing with the zones (after I told him not to), and he broke a valve and turned the water off at meter, and forgot to tell me. Inspector was trying to find problems. I called him and had a long talk with him B). I think Cad has a good point but there does seem to be a seller’s market going on. I’d at least wait for your realtor to weigh in.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 3,771 Captain
    We sold our Florida house "as is". I'd offer to knock a couple of grand off the price and see if they bite.

Buyers at this point are usually pretty emotionally attached to the house and may just let it slide to not hold up the sale.

I'm also pretty sure that their insurance company needs to make their own determination on the roof.

Just one man's opinion. 
    The market is hot in the east.    
    I’m not sure about his market, except all the California crazy people are trying to take over his state, especially if they think it’s cute, and quaint, and has internet service.
        Need to raise the price, Silver City is the new Sante Fe.
    edited November 2020 #13
    Yes the Buyer may walk..but if he really likes the house and the roof has no history of leaks..he's asking for a new paint job on an old car...if he can get one.
    Next it'll be the kitchen faucet leaks ....
    Some folks want out of their house so bad they'll do about anything the buyer wants.
    Some buyers want the house so bad they'll take it as is.
    I sold mine as is....with a 25 year old roof and shingles curling on the edges.
    Yes the Buyer may walk..but if he really likes the house and the roof has no history of leaks..he's asking for a new paint job on an old car...if he can get one.
    Next it'll be the kitchen faucet leaks ....
    Some folks want out of their house so bad they'll do about anything the buyer wants.
    Some buyers want the house so bad they'll take it as is.
    I sold mine as is....with a 25 year old roof and shingles curling on the edges.
    Exactly.
       People give too much credence to anyone that claims to be an expert on something.
    If I read gogittum's post correctly, he has had two roofing contractors look at it and both said it needed replacing. I agree he should see what the Realtor's roofer says. But if three roofers say he needs a new roof, he may need a new roof. This isn't just an inspector. 

Also, doesn't this put the Realtor in a situation where he has to notify any other potential buyers what the roofing contractors said or risk being sued for hiding defects? Also, as the seller, isn't he required to let buyers know or risk liability?

Mini Mart Magnate

Well, I would ask for a new roof too, and paint, siding, windows, doors and hardwood floors. ( but if there really is structural damage I’ll bust the price down, and an inspector rarely finds those. These are the buyers I feel sorry for).
         Some people will do exactly that for the sale, as a seller though, I’ll allow a couple of hundred if I’ve priced it right.
    I've been in this business for a long time...
    Buyers want everything like new.
    Sellers don't want to fix anything...It's been broke for years , never bothered us.
    All houses need ...Something repaired..
    It depends on the negations between the Agents and most Agents just want a quick , painless closing so they get ..The Big Bucks.
    If your not having a Fire Sale...let them eat cake
    Sorry Gary, I never dreamed I'd get that kind of response.  I was mainly asking you about how to get insurance to pay for it.

gogittum said:
    Sorry Gary, I never dreamed I'd get that kind of response.  I was mainly asking you about how to get insurance to pay for it.

If I read his post correctly insurance did not pay for the roof. They sent him a notice to replace the roof or get cancelled. 

Maybe I read it wrong 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited November 2020 #20
    It appears a more complete reply is in order.  I appreciate the thoughts, but some may not have read my post carefully.

My next door neighbor has been a roofer with a large company here for 20 or so years and I "think" he figured on scabbing my job in on a weekend.  He agreed the west side needs to be replaced and gave his quote for that only.

The other 2 were buyer's realtor's contractors and I mis-trust them.  I went up on roof just now - in the dark, just for youse guys - and took a couple of pictures to illustrate my points.

This is a portion of the west - weather - side.  Edges are curling, crumbling, turning black....I have no argument against replacing this....but hafta admit, I'd hoped it would've skated thru.  😒  Edge of roof is out of sight to lower right corner.

This is the east side, which "my" roofer and myself think is fine.  12 (??) years old and counting.  I've been in here for 11 years and it was here when I moved in.  Doesn't look like it's going to blow away anytime soon.  Dark line in upper right is ridge cap.

Actually, I've had 3 buyers try for it in the past year and 2 have fallen thru because of financing.  3rd one is the current one.  Market is slow here, but some homes are selling.  Best season is spring time when snowbirds are returning.  Right now is the absolute worst.  It's been for sale for several years now and I'm on the downslope of my life - I want to get to FL while I'm still capable - for a few years at least - of enjoying some of what I've been reading about all my life.

Spinal Stenosis has ended my hiking here - my main reason for being in this beautiful country.  Perfect timing - moving to FL will put me in boats.....with no real hiking needed.  Maybe, just maybe, surgeons at UF Gainesville can give me some relief from the Stenosis, too.

I've figured all expenses carefully against asking price and it balances quite well.  This throws a clinker into it, but it's still workable, esp. at $1,200.  This buyer has 80% down and is pre-approved for balance.  I want to keep my claws hooked into him.

One kicker is that, yes, I do want out of here badly and am willing to work with him on it....but not to the point of taking it in the shorts.  Don't know how badly he wants the place, but if he's buying it for the view, he'll put up with a lot - view is among the very best in town (house is nice, too).....but I'm not a mind reader.

It's on just over an acre of ground with a steep slope in front.  No new buildings can ruin the view.

Tomorrow, my realtor will be presenting a counter-offer similar to what Pottydoc suggested - $1,000 off agreed price if he accepts as is.  We'll also see what my realtor's contractor has to say tomorrow.  Thanks all - appreciate the thoughts.
    How do you know it is only 12 years old?

I know in Florida, some insurance gets nasty when the roof hits 20 years. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    How do you know it is only 12 years old?

I know in Florida, some insurance gets nasty when the roof hits 20 years. 
    I've lived here for 11 years. so it's more than that.  See my next sentence after 12 years.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,902 Admiral
    When you buy a house you can take the home inspector with a grain of salt in my opinion. Of course there's going to be issues and that is affected the price. If you have a 25 year old roof, 25-year old appliances, 25 year old air conditioner, you got to take a cut in the price. You can't price it like you have a new roof new appliances and a new air conditioner. Call common sense. I don't get it.

People want to buy a house that is priced wants a new roof new appliances new this new that but the house is already priced with these shortcomings. Yes I want to take all of these deductions off of the price. Makes me sick. But the average person has no clue they just want a new house as cheap as they can buy it. They have no clue that the price has already been reduced
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,765 Admiral
    I don't know about FL but in GA anyone can be an inspector no experience in anything.
    stc1993 said:
    I don't know about FL but in GA anyone can be an inspector no experience in anything.
    I hear ya,  but his word carries heavy weight with the buyer, knowledgeable or no.  I've agreed to negotiate a bit but we'll see what the "friendly" contractor says tomorrow.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,728 Captain
    We will see what the new week brings with roof. The company is reputable and been around forever, from what I understand owner helped with writing some of the local codes. Cad is correct, insurance is not paying for roof, it is a case of if you don't get a new roof we are not going to insure you. I do not want to go looking for insurance, we have Farm Bureau insurance which is a better insurance. We had it when Andrew hit and there was no questions, they just paid off. It was Florida farm Bureau back then and the hurricane busted them. They said they could not have taken a hit in a worst spot. Huge collection of insured. They had to merge with some other states and become southern Farm Bureau.
    They cancelled us a few years after Andrew because of so many insured in area. Only insurance we could get was Citizens, a state run insurance. It was still administered by Farm Bureau. Four or five years ago it went so high I told the wife to just cancel it. If I remember right it was going to be close to $8000 a year. And not include out buildings, fences and the flat deck attached to house. She went to the office and they were starting to write some policy again. We bundled the cars in and got it for half the money with cars out building and all.
      Gogittum, I agree with the inspector, that roof looks like toast. My son bought a house in Connecticut a few years back that needed a new years back, it wasn't leaking but as yours is, it was ready. He agreed to pay half and seller paid their half at closing. Might work for you. I don't know why only half was done at a time. The half that was done was it tore off or roofed over old roof? It is a practice that manufactures approve of but Miami Dade does not.
     And Cad Real Estate laws are different in every state,so he may or may not have to reveal roof inspection.
     Good luck, your right it is a nice view, would be hard to leave. But reading your post it seems like you have seen a lot of beautiful views and always ready for a new one.
    stc1993 said:
    Florida now requires a license and training. But gogittum is in New Mexico. Not sure there.

Mini Mart Magnate

• GardawgGardawg The Sportfishing Capital Of The WorldPosts: 12,319 AG
    Good Luck. Hope it works out for ya.
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
    Gary S said:

Gogittum, I agree with the inspector, that roof looks like toast. My son bought a house in Connecticut a few years back that needed a new years back, it wasn't leaking but as yours is, it was ready. He agreed to pay half and seller paid their half at closing. Might work for you. I don't know why only half was done at a time. The half that was done was it tore off or roofed over old roof? It is a practice that manufactures approve of but Miami Dade does not.
     And Cad Real Estate laws are different in every state,so he may or may not have to reveal roof inspection.
     Good luck, your right it is a nice view, would be hard to leave. But reading your post it seems like you have seen a lot of beautiful views and always ready for a new one.
    I'm with Farm Bureau, too, but not sure if the 2 branches are affiliated.  My understanding is that insurance will cover a roof due to physical damage but not normal weathering.  Still worth checking, tho'.

Yah, I mentioned that I don't have a problem with the repair of west side....just had hoped I could skate on it.  This place is 33 years old now and the roof has already been replaced, but the history might be interesting.  The west side is 2 layers deep - they put new "organic" (??) shingles over the original shingles.  The east side was stripped down and the new ones are only 1 layer deep and are "fiberglass" shingles.  Both terms are what the 2nd roofing contractor called them.  My realtor here says doing 1/2 at a time is common.  Today should be interesting.

I've lived here for 11 years now and hike/explore 1 - 3 times a week.  I think I've climbed every mountain and hiked every canyon within 50 miles (and stories on almost all of them) - several times - and looking for new horizons.  Then, too, my capabilities are fading.  10 years ago I could go 10 strenuous miles round trip in a day.  By several years ago I was down to 5 - 6 miles.....then down to 2 -3 and recently when my back went completely to h.e.l.l, just a mile or so.  All due to Spinal Stenosis.  Most of my hiking is off trail, cross country and this country is mountainous and rugged.  Also done a lot of rockhounding and have a lot of mineral samples.....and which to pack and which to toss ??  The new owner is going to have fun with my reject pile out there.  Pretty glittery.  Lots of good memories and some are pretty nice.....but rocks are heavy.  The ones in my head weigh me down.

Good Luck with yours.

• King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 7,008 Admiral
    edited November 2020 #30
    gogittum said:
    Man, your timing is excellent.  My place here is sold and in escrow now and the buyer's inspector vetoed my roof.  
    I ALWAYS put 'As-is' in the sales contract.  What you see is what you get.  Bring all the inspectors you want, if they find anything it will be yours to fix after closing.

The last house that I sold back February there was an inspection and all they found was a very small toilet valve leak, I bought one at HD for $8 and fixed it myself just so there were no issues.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,521 Moderator
    I put "AS IS - NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED" on every sales contract I create. I don't care what the item is.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)