Home Fly Fishing

8 weight rec

Vinny lVinny l Posts: 369 Deckhand
So I'm retiring my Sage RPL 890 that I built some 25+ years ago. It served me well in fact I'll probably still use it but my wife doesn't know what to get me for Christmas so she thought a new Fly rod not components a factory rod would be a nice gift. We're in the process of buying a place on Little Gasparilla Island in SW Florida so my little lady wants me to have a new toy B). The rod is for the BC, Reds, Snook and Juvenile Tarps.
I was thinking about Scotts Sector or Sages Salt HD, what do you guys think?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Vinny

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,405 Captain
    Igniter > Salt HD, but the Sector short is a lot of fun. You need to cast some rods. Posts like this are generally unproductive. We don't fish your spots, we don't cast your flies, just keep that in mind when processing the feedback you're going to get.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Reds , snook, and juvies what I target. I love my 8 wts, Sage X. I like a 9wt RIO Redfish line with it but thats a personal thing, it casts fine with an 8 wt
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 369 Deckhand
    Thank you gentlemen! 

edited November 24 #5
    I intercepted an email, my wife bought me a loomis. Best I act surprised on Christmas morning.
    Happy Thanksgiving

• sunflowersunflower Posts: 575 Officer

Nice choice.
    I have a G Loomis 12, and an 8. They are both lovely.
    Customer service is good, though the "free" repairs are now $50 I think.
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

edited November 25 #7
    sunflower said:

Nice choice.
    I have a G Loomis 12, and an 8. They are both lovely.
    Customer service is good, though the "free" repairs are now $50 I think.
    Thank you
    Hopefully I never need to repair it.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 917 Officer
    Clear back in the early '90s I bought a GLoomis rod for Salmon fishing in the NW.   Don't remember which now and it's bundled but it's 7 ft and I loaded the reel with 18# test mono.  Imagine my dismay when I was fooling around with the new setup on the boat and the line between the guides was alongside the rod, rubbing when under moderate load - the guides were too far apart. It p.i.s.s.e.d me off, looking at the price I paid for the thing.

GLoomis factory was only a couple of 100 miles from my home, so I drove down there one day and walked into their office.  Lady came scrambling out all upset...."you've got to move your car - that's Mr. Loomis' spot."  OK, I moved it, and went back in.  Got the very strong impression that Mr. Loomis is a real tyrant.  Described my problem to some flunky and he disappeared.  Came back 10 minutes later with another guy who looked at my rod, listened to my complaint and actually sneered at me.  "You came all the way down here for This ??"

I was getting my back up pretty good by then, stared him down and told him I'd paid for a premium product and that's what I expected.  "Wait here, it'll be a while," he said and went away with my rod.

It must've been close to 2 hours later, during which time I was totally ignored, when he came back out with my rod.  "Here you go," he said, handed it to me and walked away.  I was holding 3 pieces - the butt section, my old top section and a duplicate top section that had 2 more guides on it, properly spaced.

I caught many Salmon with that rod - it's a dandy - but why would they sell something like the original in the 1st place....and the attitude in the factory, migawd.  I didn't get nasty or loud, but I'll bet a lot that they remember me.
    edited November 25 #9
    gogittum said:
    Clear back in the early '90s I bought a GLoomis rod for Salmon fishing in the NW.   Don't remember which now and it's bundled but it's 7 ft and I loaded the reel with 18# test mono.  Imagine my dismay when I was fooling around with the new setup on the boat and the line between the guides was alongside the rod, rubbing when under moderate load - the guides were too far apart. It p.i.s.s.e.d me off, looking at the price I paid for the thing.

GLoomis factory was only a couple of 100 miles from my home, so I drove down there one day and walked into their office.  Lady came scrambling out all upset...."you've got to move your car - that's Mr. Loomis' spot."  OK, I moved it, and went back in.  Got the very strong impression that Mr. Loomis is a real tyrant.  Described my problem to some flunky and he disappeared.  Came back 10 minutes later with another guy who looked at my rod, listened to my complaint and actually sneered at me.  "You came all the way down here for This ??"

I was getting my back up pretty good by then, stared him down and told him I'd paid for a premium product and that's what I expected.  "Wait here, it'll be a while," he said and went away with my rod.

It must've been close to 2 hours later, during which time I was totally ignored, when he came back out with my rod.  "Here you go," he said, handed it to me and walked away.  I was holding 3 pieces - the butt section, my old top section and a duplicate top section that had 2 more guides on it, properly spaced.

I caught many Salmon with that rod - it's a dandy - but why would they sell something like the original in the 1st place....and the attitude in the factory, migawd.  I didn't get nasty or loud, but I'll bet a lot that they remember me.
    Guess ya never purchased another Loomis. 😉
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 917 Officer
    edited November 26 #10
    Vinny l said:
    gogittum said:

Actually, I haven't, but not because of that.  They did follow thru, tho' with poor grace and the rod Is a premium product.  I really like it, if not the people who made it.  I moved back to CA shortly after that and the need wasn't there - its not well suited to CA Albacore and Pacific Yellowtail fishing and I didn't do much of that, this time around.  (I'm thinking - hoping - reef donkeys will be much like CA Yellowtail - also a Jack)  X10 here in NM - nothing worth fishing for and it's been a dry 11 years.  Haha.....escrow should close in 2 or 3 weeks.....Look out Flarda, hee we cohm.  Then, you'll see some fishing.....if I hafta swim out in the bay with the rod in my teeth.
  • JWTJWT Posts: 741 Officer
    i have had good experiences with Loomis. i have several 5-12 wght. several years back, my buddy broke the 10 wght on a big tarpon. i sent the pieces to Loomis & told them it was a defective rod & asked that they  replace it. after a customer rep called me & we talked, they sent me a new one. 
    gogittum said:
    Vinny l said:
    gogittum said:

Actually, I haven't, but not because of that.  They did follow thru, tho' with poor grace and the rod Is a premium product.  I really like it, if not the people who made it.  I moved back to CA shortly after that and the need wasn't there - its not well suited to CA Albacore and Pacific Yellowtail fishing and I didn't do much of that, this time around.  (I'm thinking - hoping - reef donkeys will be much like CA Yellowtail - also a Jack)  X10 here in NM - nothing worth fishing for and it's been a dry 11 years.  Haha.....escrow should close in 2 or 3 weeks.....Look out Flarda, hee we cohm.  Then, you'll see some fishing.....if I hafta swim out in the bay with the rod in my teeth.
    😆👍👍
    JWT said:
    i have had good experiences with Loomis. i have several 5-12 wght. several years back, my buddy broke the 10 wght on a big tarpon. i sent the pieces to Loomis & told them it was a defective rod & asked that they  replace it. after a customer rep called me & we talked, they sent me a new one. 
    Thanks for sharing.