Home Fly Fishing

8 weight rec

Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
So I'm retiring my Sage RPL 890 that I built some 25+ years ago. It served me well in fact I'll probably still use it but my wife doesn't know what to get me for Christmas so she thought a new Fly rod not components a factory rod would be a nice gift. We're in the process of buying a place on Little Gasparilla Island in SW Florida so my little lady wants me to have a new toy B). The rod is for the BC, Reds, Snook and Juvenile Tarps.
I was thinking about Scotts Sector or Sages Salt HD, what do you guys think?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Vinny

Replies

  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    Igniter > Salt HD, but the Sector short is a lot of fun. You need to cast some rods. Posts like this are generally unproductive. We don't fish your spots, we don't cast your flies, just keep that in mind when processing the feedback you're going to get.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 360 Deckhand
    Reds , snook, and juvies what I target. I love my 8 wts, Sage X. I like a 9wt RIO Redfish line with it but thats a personal thing, it casts fine with an 8 wt
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    Thank you gentlemen! 

  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    edited November 2020 #5
    I intercepted an email, my wife bought me a loomis. Best I act surprised on Christmas morning.
    Happy Thanksgiving

  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 637 Officer

    Nice choice.
    I have a G Loomis 12, and an 8. They are both lovely.
    Customer service is good, though the "free" repairs are now $50 I think.
    Mark

    grace finds goodness in everything ...



  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    edited November 2020 #7
    sunflower said:

    Nice choice.
    I have a G Loomis 12, and an 8. They are both lovely.
    Customer service is good, though the "free" repairs are now $50 I think.
    Thank you
    Hopefully I never need to repair it.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,994 Captain
    Clear back in the early '90s I bought a GLoomis rod for Salmon fishing in the NW.   Don't remember which now and it's bundled but it's 7 ft and I loaded the reel with 18# test mono.  Imagine my dismay when I was fooling around with the new setup on the boat and the line between the guides was alongside the rod, rubbing when under moderate load - the guides were too far apart. It p.i.s.s.e.d me off, looking at the price I paid for the thing.

    GLoomis factory was only a couple of 100 miles from my home, so I drove down there one day and walked into their office.  Lady came scrambling out all upset...."you've got to move your car - that's Mr. Loomis' spot."  OK, I moved it, and went back in.  Got the very strong impression that Mr. Loomis is a real tyrant.  Described my problem to some flunky and he disappeared.  Came back 10 minutes later with another guy who looked at my rod, listened to my complaint and actually sneered at me.  "You came all the way down here for This ??"

    I was getting my back up pretty good by then, stared him down and told him I'd paid for a premium product and that's what I expected.  "Wait here, it'll be a while," he said and went away with my rod.

    It must've been close to 2 hours later, during which time I was totally ignored, when he came back out with my rod.  "Here you go," he said, handed it to me and walked away.  I was holding 3 pieces - the butt section, my old top section and a duplicate top section that had 2 more guides on it, properly spaced.

    I caught many Salmon with that rod - it's a dandy - but why would they sell something like the original in the 1st place....and the attitude in the factory, migawd.  I didn't get nasty or loud, but I'll bet a lot that they remember me.
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    edited November 2020 #9
    gogittum said:
    Clear back in the early '90s I bought a GLoomis rod for Salmon fishing in the NW.   Don't remember which now and it's bundled but it's 7 ft and I loaded the reel with 18# test mono.  Imagine my dismay when I was fooling around with the new setup on the boat and the line between the guides was alongside the rod, rubbing when under moderate load - the guides were too far apart. It p.i.s.s.e.d me off, looking at the price I paid for the thing.

    GLoomis factory was only a couple of 100 miles from my home, so I drove down there one day and walked into their office.  Lady came scrambling out all upset...."you've got to move your car - that's Mr. Loomis' spot."  OK, I moved it, and went back in.  Got the very strong impression that Mr. Loomis is a real tyrant.  Described my problem to some flunky and he disappeared.  Came back 10 minutes later with another guy who looked at my rod, listened to my complaint and actually sneered at me.  "You came all the way down here for This ??"

    I was getting my back up pretty good by then, stared him down and told him I'd paid for a premium product and that's what I expected.  "Wait here, it'll be a while," he said and went away with my rod.

    It must've been close to 2 hours later, during which time I was totally ignored, when he came back out with my rod.  "Here you go," he said, handed it to me and walked away.  I was holding 3 pieces - the butt section, my old top section and a duplicate top section that had 2 more guides on it, properly spaced.

    I caught many Salmon with that rod - it's a dandy - but why would they sell something like the original in the 1st place....and the attitude in the factory, migawd.  I didn't get nasty or loud, but I'll bet a lot that they remember me.
    Guess ya never purchased another Loomis. 😉
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,994 Captain
    edited November 2020 #10
    Vinny l said:
    gogittum said:


    I caught many Salmon with that rod - it's a dandy - but why would they sell something like the original in the 1st place....and the attitude in the factory, migawd.  I didn't get nasty or loud, but I'll bet a lot that they remember me.
    Guess ya never purchased another Loomis. 😉
    Actually, I haven't, but not because of that.  They did follow thru, tho' with poor grace and the rod Is a premium product.  I really like it, if not the people who made it.  I moved back to CA shortly after that and the need wasn't there - its not well suited to CA Albacore and Pacific Yellowtail fishing and I didn't do much of that, this time around.  (I'm thinking - hoping - reef donkeys will be much like CA Yellowtail - also a Jack)  X10 here in NM - nothing worth fishing for and it's been a dry 11 years.  Haha.....escrow should close in 2 or 3 weeks.....Look out Flarda, hee we cohm.  Then, you'll see some fishing.....if I hafta swim out in the bay with the rod in my teeth.
  • JWTJWT Posts: 776 Officer
    i have had good experiences with Loomis. i have several 5-12 wght. several years back, my buddy broke the 10 wght on a big tarpon. i sent the pieces to Loomis & told them it was a defective rod & asked that they  replace it. after a customer rep called me & we talked, they sent me a new one. 
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    gogittum said:
    Vinny l said:
    gogittum said:


    I caught many Salmon with that rod - it's a dandy - but why would they sell something like the original in the 1st place....and the attitude in the factory, migawd.  I didn't get nasty or loud, but I'll bet a lot that they remember me.
    Guess ya never purchased another Loomis. 😉
    Actually, I haven't, but not because of that.  They did follow thru, tho' with poor grace and the rod Is a premium product.  I really like it, if not the people who made it.  I moved back to CA shortly after that and the need wasn't there - its not well suited to CA Albacore and Pacific Yellowtail fishing and I didn't do much of that, this time around.  (I'm thinking - hoping - reef donkeys will be much like CA Yellowtail - also a Jack)  X10 here in NM - nothing worth fishing for and it's been a dry 11 years.  Haha.....escrow should close in 2 or 3 weeks.....Look out Flarda, hee we cohm.  Then, you'll see some fishing.....if I hafta swim out in the bay with the rod in my teeth.
    😆👍👍
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    JWT said:
    i have had good experiences with Loomis. i have several 5-12 wght. several years back, my buddy broke the 10 wght on a big tarpon. i sent the pieces to Loomis & told them it was a defective rod & asked that they  replace it. after a customer rep called me & we talked, they sent me a new one. 
    Thanks for sharing. 
  • Lostmen_DanLostmen_Dan Ft. LauderdalePosts: 18 Deckhand
    TFO Mangrove. Great all around 8wt for many different scenarios. Price point is very reasonable and lifetime warranty. I've sent a 9wt back 2 different times for repairs, neither due to defect, and have only paid shipping. Typically they will replace the bad section, though I did get an all new rod on one of the returns. FWIW, Flip is willing to put his name on the brand.
    Formerly lostmen dan. Not able to get back in the account but what else is new around here.

    3rd gen Floridian fishing Flamingo, Chokoloskee, the Keys and Tri-County area since 1988.
    IG - @danielrearle
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    TFO Mangrove. Great all around 8wt for many different scenarios. Price point is very reasonable and lifetime warranty. I've sent a 9wt back 2 different times for repairs, neither due to defect, and have only paid shipping. Typically they will replace the bad section, though I did get an all new rod on one of the returns. FWIW, Flip is willing to put his name on the brand.
    Thank you for the recommendation. A guide I fished with in Charlotte harbor back in October recommended the TFO Axiom ll x if memory serves me🤔. 
    Hope ya all have a MC. 
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 637 Officer
    edited December 2020 #16
    I recently returned an Axiom. It worked poorly for me.
    I tend to overpower my cast. Not to let the rod do the work.
    The Axiom felt like a noodle in my hand.
    I do better with older, stiffer, (cheaper), TFO rods.
    I have a number of Mangroves, they cast fine.
    The carbon is brittle and breakable if you high-stick a fish, 
    and they have surprisingly small fighting butts and rod-seats.
    My Hatch 12+ reel barely fits onto the 12-weigh Mangrove.
    Everyone is different ... try it before you buy it.


    Mark

    grace finds goodness in everything ...



  • Lostmen_DanLostmen_Dan Ft. LauderdalePosts: 18 Deckhand
    sunflower said:
    I recently returned an Axiom. It worked poorly for me.
    I tend to overpower my cast. Not to let the rod do the work.
    The Axiom felt like a noodle in my hand.
    I do better with older, stiffer, (cheaper), TFO rods.
    I have a number of Mangroves, they cast fine.
    The carbon is brittle and breakable if you high-stick a fish, 
    and they have surprisingly small fighting butts and rod-seats.
    My Hatch 12+ reel barely fits onto the 12-weigh Mangrove.
    Everyone is different ... try it before you buy it.


    Agreed on everything regarding the Mangrove. One break was high-sticking a lemon shark from paddle board. Other was started by lead eyes nailing the tip mid-section and finished off a few casts later. Funny, a tailing permit will make you forget everything you know about fly casting. I've a feeling that sort of behavior from the black-tailed devil may have contributed to the term 'tailing loop'.

    The reel seat and fighting butts are a bit small on the larger Mangrove's compared to some other 9wt+ offerings on the market. That said, we're talking 8wt here. No issue fitting a Tibor Everglades on the 9wt Mangrove. 8wt butt should be fine for fighting the juvenile tarpon, redfish and snuke you are planning to target with it despite its relative  small size. All-in-all a good utility rod for someone moving to the area while you figure out what specialized tools you might need down the road.
    Formerly lostmen dan. Not able to get back in the account but what else is new around here.

    3rd gen Floridian fishing Flamingo, Chokoloskee, the Keys and Tri-County area since 1988.
    IG - @danielrearle
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 360 Deckhand
    Sunflower, You've vindicated 2 different friends of mine who broke my TFOs high sticking snook after I warned them not to do so. "you're high sticking !" "No I'm not!" SNAP!  Both are trout fishing guides and Orvis endorsed instructors . When they complained the rods were brittle I told them its not the rods that sucked, it was them and that snook are different animals than a stocked rainbow trout. Naturally, I won't tell them that you concur because if you cant belittle your friends who can  you abuse?
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 637 Officer
    Troutbom, that's why we have friends.
    Lostman Dan is also correct, I definitely injured then snapped a Mangrove by hitting it with a heavy lead-eye fly.
    Mark

    grace finds goodness in everything ...



  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    edited January 6 #20
    Used my Christmas present on local waters casting some new ties. The rod took a little getting use to with timing but once dialed in, its a sweet rod..
Sign In or Register to comment.