Home General Fishing

AVET SX REELS QUESTION ?..

alexsunny123alexsunny123 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
Hello,

Whats your take on these reels ? Are they any good, i'm thinking about getting one for bottom fishing. any info?.

thanks
alexsunny

Replies

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 897 Officer
    Great reels.  The stock SX doesn't have the correct drag profile for bottom fishing; it's designed to deliver smooth drag maxing out at 15# or so.  I will sometimes use/abuse my SX reels jigging for grouper and crank the drag down heavier than they are rated for.  The reel doesn't like it, but it will put up with it.  You'll go through a set of bearings every season or so doing that.  The SX Raptor has a drag profile for fishing 30# line class for bottomfish, but you're getting into some serious money there.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,058 Moderator
    I'm not a great fan of lever drag reels for bottom fishing.  As KL indicted, the bearings are the problem.  You can't lock down the drag enough to properly fish the bottom without crushing the gimble bearing.  A lot of people are using the Shimano Torium reels the PG's either 20 or 30, Both produce 33# of drag and come stock with a power handle. The HG is a higher speed reel but they don't come with the power handle and only rated at 24# of drag.

• tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 409 Deckhand
    Not for bottom fishing.

Heed the above posts.
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    If you are interested in Avets look to Charkbait in Huntington Beach CA having sale... as for bottom fishing nickel and dime grouper in 30-60 feet of water over rocks sure...are you looking for that size of a reel...then it's a good bang for the buck...Accurate 300 Valiant or Seigler SGN  more money...there are options with an SX  heaviest drag profile is with Raptor which is two speed about 100% more than "stock" then next is G-2 model which is about 40% more and can be had in single speed, again more money...if it is size you want it will work or find a good Penn 113H Baja Special  twist the star with a vise grip...I had one a stock SX two speed...used it for Blackfin, Dolphin, Wahoo  spooled with 40 spectra and sometime shallower wrecks Marathon area for bottom ...however, its use was not high frequency like 15 days a month more like 15 days annually...drag was set at full spool 7lbs strike and 10 lbs full if I needed more gloved thumb on spool...
    tarpon41 said:
    If it is size you want it will work or find a good Penn 113H Baja Special  twist the star with a vise grip...
    here is no more Baja Special.  Penn replaced it with the US Senator, made in Phila, with a solid frame aluminum frame and aluminum spool.  Comes in a standard, wide and narrow frame.  All are 4.3:1 gear ratio and 27# of drag
    should have said used
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 917 Officer
    edited November 20 #8
    I had a Penn 113H and loved it.   In the same time period, I also had a Penn 49 (??) Super Mariner which was about the same diameter but with a much narrower spool.  Bought the 49 primarily for bottom fishing but rarely used it.  Kinda strange - no problems with the 113H - could really crank on it, but the 49 would wobble/flop back and forth when cranking hard.  Made it a bit awkward when pulling in a lot of line with a big Halibut on the end.
    gogittum said:
    I also had a Penn 49 (??) Super Mariner which was about the same diameter but with a much narrower spool.  Bought the 49 primarily for bottom fishing but rarely used it.  Kinda strange but the 49 would wobble/flop back and forth when cranking hard.  Made it a bit awkward when pulling in a lot of line with a big Halibut on the end.
    Thus the reason to have a spiral wrapped rod.  Not usually available in a factory rod.  That's why I make my own, or if I purchase a factory rod, I'll cut it apart and re wrap it to make it spiral wrapped.  A spiral wrap takes all the twist/torque and put's it on the tip.  Eve seen a spin rod wobble :)

• tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 409 Deckhand
    I wouldn't think a narrower spool would have more of the wobble. 

Quite the opposite, in my experience. Maybe work on your grip?
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,111 Captain
    tankered said:
    I wouldn't think a narrower spool would have more of the wobble. 

Quite the opposite, in my experience. Maybe work on your grip?

Agree, the wider the diameter of the spool, the farther off-center the winding handle, and the harder it is to keep the set up steady while cranking under pressure.  Acid wrap rods are designed to reduce the twisting, but I have yet to warm up to them.  When the line screeching off the reel under the pressure of a fish, the friction sound is louder on a spiral wrap..... thinking about re-wrapping mine back to the old school.

I love Avet reels.  Accurate Valiant and Tern series are some of the lightest conventionals for the level of lines they can handle.  It is nice that good quality gear is still made in the USA.  Buy American!
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 411 Deckhand
    edited November 21 #12
    I have some LX reels I got back when Avet was new on the scene, I wanted to try a lever drag reel and heard a lot of good things about them. Still in use today.  But I fish from shore exclusively, and do a lot of surf fishing so for me I prefer star drags, namely the old penn senator 4/0s with the sailfish on the side plate. It seems to me there’s less issues with sand intrusion. A windy rainy day isn’t as kind to the lever drags on the sand and I got rained on a lot this year.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,233 Officer
    edited November 22 #13
    I use Avet  reels in the SX and MX sizes for light tackle trolling and live bait fishing, Their drags are smoothh throuhghout their range, And after several years of use, I have yet to have a problem with them. I do NOT use them for bottom fishing for the reasons already stated in the above posts. While adequate for Snapper, Triggerfish, Sea Bass, etc, they will not have the stopping power tp prevent a legal sized Grouper from rocking you.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    When I am targeting big bottom fish, I use my Avet HX 5/2 Raptor -- 50lbs of drag, but for the first minute or so, it's usually a thumb on the spool as well.
    Here's a pic from Alan Tani's Reel Repair site...he said best in class for late models under 200

I got no dog in the hunt but Charkbait (CA small business and free shipping when buying at reel prices) is having big sale on Avets  and Okuma's Makaira(Taiwan not China) SEa's 10,15,20, and 50
    I had a Shimano TLD10 loaded with 20# mono that I really liked for Albacore fishing, but it was stolen (I've b.i.t.c.h.ed about the San Diego boats previously) and Shimano had quit making them.  Why ??  Anyway, I did a lot of research and decided on an Avet reel.....this, back in early 2000s, I think.

It's been long packed away - not many Albacore in NM - but y'all got me curious, so I went and dug it out just now.  Yup, as remembered, a beautiful piece of engineering and a solid chunk of equipment, but it's an MXL 4.5 in silver and (don't remember for sure) looks to be loaded with 20# pale green braid.  Rod is bundled and wrapped with others for protection and can't see the name, but it's a 6ft.

In 2009 I was downsizing, living/retired into a 33 ft travel trailer and sold 24 rods and reels to make room.  Kept just 6 of my favorites and that were one of them, and the heaviest.  Gonna need some heavier soon, you bet.

Looking online, I can't even find a 4.5 - it's all about the 5.8.  Do I have an orphan ??  IIRC, it made just one trip on a San Diego trip and I caught one Albacore with it, about low 20# range and it performed flawlessly.  I'm hoping to put it to much more use in a few weeks when I'm settled into a new home in FL.  I'm 2 weeks into escrow now.
    When I am targeting big bottom fish, I use my Avet HX 5/2 Raptor -- 50lbs of drag, but for the first minute or so, it's usually a thumb on the spool as well.
    Yeah, the Raptors are a whole different ball game.  My grouper rod has a LX Raptor and it does the trick.  Of course, the Raptors also put you into a whole new territory cost wise...
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 689 Officer
      My reel repair person said"The only reels I can get parts
    for are Shimano and Penn." 
    gogittum said:
    I had a Shimano TLD10 loaded with 20# mono that I really liked for Albacore fishing, but it was stolen (I've b.i.t.c.h.ed about the San Diego boats previously) and Shimano had quit making them.  Why ??  Anyway, I did a lot of research and decided on an Avet reel.....this, back in early 2000s, I think.

It's been long packed away - not many Albacore in NM - but y'all got me curious, so I went and dug it out just now.  Yup, as remembered, a beautiful piece of engineering and a solid chunk of equipment, but it's an MXL 4.5 in silver and (don't remember for sure) looks to be loaded with 20# pale green braid.  Rod is bundled and wrapped with others for protection and can't see the name, but it's a 6ft.

In 2009 I was downsizing, living/retired into a 33 ft travel trailer and sold 24 rods and reels to make room.  Kept just 6 of my favorites and that were one of them, and the heaviest.  Gonna need some heavier soon, you bet.

Looking online, I can't even find a 4.5 - it's all about the 5.8.  Do I have an orphan ??  IIRC, it made just one trip on a San Diego trip and I caught one Albacore with it, about low 20# range and it performed flawlessly.  I'm hoping to put it to much more use in a few weeks when I'm settled into a new home in FL.  I'm 2 weeks into escrow now.
    I still have my Shimano TLD15, it was one of the first conventional lever drags -- solid reel.  You can find a used TLD10 on eBay for about $70.  Always need to have all your gear rounded up and accounted for prior to getting off the boat.  When I worked SoCal Sportfishing, if a passenger reel went missing.  We would search the entire boat until it was found before letting a single passenger off.  People get tired of waiting, and suddenly it shows up in the bunkroom! Congratulations on your move to Florida, whereabouts are you moving to?  There are a lot of cheap used Avet LX's in Florida because they were a popular kite fishing reel.  The one drawback of them is a weak clicker.  Rarely used a clicker prior to fishing in Florida, now it's used every trip.
    gogittum said:

I still have my Shimano TLD15, it was one of the first conventional lever drags -- solid reel.  You can find a used TLD10 on eBay for about $70.  Always need to have all your gear rounded up and accounted for prior to getting off the boat.  When I worked SoCal Sportfishing, if a passenger reel went missing.  We would search the entire boat until it was found before letting a single passenger off.  People get tired of waiting, and suddenly it shows up in the bunkroom! Congratulations on your move to Florida, whereabouts are you moving to?  There are a lot of cheap used Avet LX's in Florida because they were a popular kite fishing reel.  The one drawback of them is a weak clicker.  Rarely used a clicker prior to fishing in Florida, now it's used every trip.
    It's been ~20 years ago, but I used to keep my rods & reels adjacent to each other in the racks on the boat, secure until docked.  This time, as usual, boat docked, I went below to get my sleeping bag and personal stuff bag, then came back up to bundle my rods and get going.  I only took 3 rods & reels per trip - Albie rod and a backup plus a heavier outfit in case we ran into Bigeye Tuna.  Pretty basic fishing.  Full rack of terminal gear fit in my shirt pocket - 1/2 doz hooks and 2 or 3 - 1/2 oz twist on sinkers.

I wasn't gone from upper deck more than 2 or 3 minutes; came back up, a stream of passengers were already swarming up onto the dock, engines were revving and I was pleased to hang back a bit, out of the fuss.  Went to bundle my rods and the TLD was gone.  Boom.  Live and learn.

Yah, I really liked that TLD 10 but I don't think they've made them for something over 30 years and any I find now are likely to be very well used.  Knowing Shimano's rep, I doubt parts would be available now - that's why I bit the bullet with the Avet - figured it would be a fittin' replacement.  Surely does seem like a premium product and it surely did whup that Albacore, but I'm listening to the guys here and will be tender with the drag on it.  Without having been there yet, I'm thinking it'll be a good choice for Dolphins and Kings and the like....not for Grouper or AJs.

I'm looking very hard at Levy County and I do like the Chiefland area, but anywhere from Inglis on up will be fine, depending on what I find available.  I hope you guys are ready for buckets full of questions as I get settled in there.  I live very quietly; absolutely hate crowds and heavy traffic and like to wander the woods quietly on my own with my camera and my little dog for company.  Reading 5-staryakpak's picture stories has me lusting to get into the rivers and creeks with a small jon boat.  Can't sit a kayak. 

I'm not much of a fish eater, but love the fight and do mostly catch & release.  Looking forward to getting acquainted with light tackle Jack Crevalle.  In the right places, surf is fun, too, and I'm looking forward to Pompano.....and, of course, Redfish, Snook and Trout.....and many, many others.  :smiley:
    gogittum said:
    gogittum said:

I'm looking very hard at Levy County and I do like the Chiefland area, but anywhere from Inglis on up will be fine, depending on what I find available.  I hope you guys are ready for buckets full of questions as I get settled in there.  I live very quietly; absolutely hate crowds and heavy traffic and like to wander the woods quietly on my own with my camera and my little dog for company.  Reading 5-staryakpak's picture stories has me lusting to get into the rivers and creeks with a small jon boat.  Can't sit a kayak. 

I'm not much of a fish eater, but love the fight and do mostly catch & release.  Looking forward to getting acquainted with light tackle Jack Crevalle.  In the right places, surf is fun, too, and I'm looking forward to Pompano.....and, of course, Redfish, Snook and Trout.....and many, many others.  :smiley:
    Never been to Levy County, closest was driving on Interstate 75 heading to Pensacola.  It should be pretty quiet there.  A huge world of hardly touched inshore fishing, I think you will like it.  Fishing is pretty different from where I am.  About a half dozen kayakers in my area drive to Chokoloskee for inshore fishing every weekend.  The Hobie Pro Angler has a super comfortable seat and one can stand in it.  About 2K used, might want to check it out before dismissing the freedom of a kayak.  Anglers on the East Coast use way more spinning gear than West Coast.  I suspect that for the type of fishing you will be doing, either a bass level wind or a spinner will more desirable than the Avet.  I have not felt the need for inshore angling, so probably not much good advice from me, but others will be able to give you the scoop.  Good luck with your move.
  • frankwhitefrankwhite NCPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Out of all the reels I've owned the SX Raptor is a tough one to beat. Just about anything that can be caught on conventional gear can be caught on an SX (within limits). Obviously larger billfish, tuna, etc aren't going to happen - but close to triple digit tuna have been caught on these reels on the west coast. 

Few things to note - one, everything said about locking down the drag is true - don't do it. I'll have to check what mine is set at, but we have caught ARS on that reel for days. Plus sharks, cobia, kings, bull reds, big rays, the list goes on. Still a comfortable reel to throw in the surf all day for pompano and whiting, too - we've taken just the one reel for a full day of surf fishing, put it on a lighter rod in the mid day and switch it to something heavier at night when tossing to 5-6 foot sharks. I've never broken 5 feet on this reel, but there are people who have hit close to 7 foot sharks on the sand. These are fat sandbars every bit over 6'6", not nurses. 

If you're in the market for one PM me. I've been slowly switching over to fly and might be willing to let mine go for the right price. 
    gogittum said:
    gogittum said:

The Hobie Pro Angler has a super comfortable seat and one can stand in it.  About 2K used, might want to check it out before dismissing the freedom of a kayak.  Anglers on the East Coast use way more spinning gear than West Coast.  I suspect that for the type of fishing you will be doing, either a bass level wind or a spinner John McKroid said:
    This goofy thing.....??

I took a sea kayak lesson at Southwind in Newport Beach, CA in about ~2000.  I'd been boating up on the British Columbia coast and saw many sea kayakers up there.  I really wanted to try it in that beautiful area, so took the lesson and found that I have some kind of equilibrium problem. 

Paddling along just fine, happy as if I had brains and suddenly, bloop. upside down.  No warning, no awkwardness, couldn't bring it on deliberately.  It was strange - I knew what to do, it's pretty much self-evident how to get in, sit down, pick up the paddle, etc.  I was 1st ready and paddled out maybe 50 ft or so and turned to watch the rest of the class get ready. 

Sitting relaxed and comfy, no problems, and I was suddenly upside down.  It was so fast and unexpected that one time I was still inhaling as I went over and got some water down the gullet.  Yuck.  In a harbor ??  Yuck.  I lived in fear of what I might catch for a week.  1st time, the instructor used me as an example of how to help a fellow kayaker back into his kayak in deep water - there were 6 or 8 students. 

By the 5th or 6th time, they were heartily sick of me.  So was I.  No idea what the problem was.  I could scoot that thing all over the place and rock solid.  Get relaxed and forget about it....bloop.  At the end of the session - several hours - it took 3 people to get me with my bad back out of the thing and it was agonizing.....and that was 20 years ago.  It's much worse now.  I need to be able to sit upright, chair style.

I've used spinning gear a lot and am fully comfortable with it, but prefer rotating spool, with or without level wind.  The Avet, I realize will be for fish like Dolphin (I know there's controversy, but I'd prefer to call them Dorado to avoid flatlander confusion) and Kings, as I said above, but I do have several lighter outfits more appropriate for inshore.  I plan to go on a few different types of charters to learn some about the whole thing when I get there and will likely use the guide's tackle.  

I'm actually some apprehensive about the whole thing - there's an enormous amount to learn to fish there.  Just navigating the flats, getting lost in Mangroves, species, trolling, jigging, wrecks, open ocean, bottom, pelagic, baits, catching the bait, rigging, seasons, restrictions, limits, on and on and on......but looking forward to it all.  I certainly won't be  bored.

In the northwest, basically rig a Herring, tow it behind the boat and go catch Salmon.  Boom.  Forget all the flashers and garbage - don't need 'em.  In CA, nose hook an Anchovy on a small-ish hook, free-line it over the side and catch Albacore.  BFD.  Flarda, hee we cohm.
    10kman said:
      My reel repair person said"The only reels I can get parts
    for are Shimano and Penn." 
    Get a new reel repair person.  Or better yet, do it yourself; it's not as hard as you think it'll be.  Just take good pictures as you disassemble; they'll come in handy for the second half of the job...
    This goofy thing.....??

I took a sea kayak lesson at Southwind in Newport Beach, CA in about ~2000.  I'd been boating up on the British Columbia coast and saw many sea kayakers up there.  I really wanted to try it in that beautiful area, so took the lesson and found that I have some kind of equilibrium problem. 

Paddling along just fine, happy as if I had brains and suddenly, bloop. upside down.  No warning, no awkwardness, couldn't bring it on deliberately.  It was strange - I knew what to do, it's pretty much self-evident how to get in, sit down, pick up the paddle, etc.  I was 1st ready and paddled out maybe 50 ft or so and turned to watch the rest of the class get ready. 

Sitting relaxed and comfy, no problems, and I was suddenly upside down.  It was so fast and unexpected that one time I was still inhaling as I went over and got some water down the gullet.  Yuck.  In a harbor ??  Yuck.  I lived in fear of what I might catch for a week.  1st time, the instructor used me as an example of how to help a fellow kayaker back into his kayak in deep water - there were 6 or 8 students. 

By the 5th or 6th time, they were heartily sick of me.  So was I.  No idea what the problem was.  I could scoot that thing all over the place and rock solid.  Get relaxed and forget about it....bloop.  At the end of the session - several hours - it took 3 people to get me with my bad back out of the thing and it was agonizing.....and that was 20 years ago.  It's much worse now.  I need to be able to sit upright, chair style.

I've used spinning gear a lot and am fully comfortable with it, but prefer rotating spool, with or without level wind.  The Avet, I realize will be for fish like Dolphin (I know there's controversy, but I'd prefer to call them Dorado to avoid flatlander confusion) and Kings, as I said above, but I do have several lighter outfits more appropriate for inshore.  I plan to go on a few different types of charters to learn some about the whole thing when I get there and will likely use the guide's tackle.  

I'm actually some apprehensive about the whole thing - there's an enormous amount to learn to fish there.  Just navigating the flats, getting lost in Mangroves, species, trolling, jigging, wrecks, open ocean, bottom, pelagic, baits, catching the bait, rigging, seasons, restrictions, limits, on and on and on......but looking forward to it all.  I certainly won't be  bored.

In the northwest, basically rig a Herring, tow it behind the boat and go catch Salmon.  Boom.  Forget all the flashers and garbage - don't need 'em.  In CA, nose hook an Anchovy on a small-ish hook, free-line it over the side and catch Albacore.  BFD.  Flarda, hee we cohm.
    Sorry to hear about the equilibrium problem.  Sea kayaks are long and narrow and built for speed, but not necessarily the most stable. The PA14 is a wide slow boat, I would have to try pretty hard to flip it in inshore conditions.  There are times when I am so tired that I will put my feet up, recline the seat and sleep in the kayak -- offshore, tied to a buoy.    Good luck with your move.
  • alexsunny123alexsunny123 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Hello,

Whats your take on these reels ? Are they any good, i'm thinking about https://ometv.onl https://chatroulette.top https://omegle.**** https://bazoocam.cam getting one for bottom fishing. any info?.

thanks
    alexsunny

thanks my issue has been fixed.