Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Can someone ID this ?

Caught a few , good bait fish ?  Thanks

Replies

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,822 Captain
    Looks like leatherjacket.
    Not very good bait due to spines on top and bottom & hurt if they stick you. :)

• FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 628 Officer
  • islandhopperislandhopper summerland Posts: 69 Deckhand
  • Lucky Hook IILucky Hook II Posts: 527 Officer
    Leatherjacket or Skipjack
    Capt. Jorge Fernandez
    www.luckyhookcharters.com
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,111 Captain
    I slow trolled one of those all-day off the back of my kayak last March.  It was a hardy bait, but nothing would touch it.  Meanwhile, I caught Little Tunny, Blackfin, Amberjack, Almacos and King Mackerel on my vertical jig the same time that bait was soaking on another line.
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 159 Deckhand
    I slow trolled one of those all-day off the back of my kayak last March.  It was a hardy bait, but nothing would touch it.  Meanwhile, I caught Little Tunny, Blackfin, Amberjack, Almacos and King Mackerel on my vertical jig the same time that bait was soaking on another lin

Fish ain't dumb...those spines sting...A LOT !!!
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 917 Officer
    edited November 20 #8
    I hear ya all on the spines, but it doesn't make sense.  Many fish - and birds - eat Catfish, grouper, bass, crappie, etc., etc., which all have spines - and some are very nasty.  Can't remember what for sure, but I'm very sure I saw a video of "something" eating a Lionfish.

Yah, found one in just a few minutes:  
  • fixedratefixedrate Posts: 204 Deckhand
    god i hate those little fish. 
    got stuck a few times, even though i try to avoid those little stupid spines at all cost.

stings for hours for me.

yellowjacket fish.
  • islandhopperislandhopper summerland Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Yeah I was just messing around after checking my crab pots one morning and ran across a big school of them. Never saw them before. Definitely pointy . 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,111 Captain
    gogittum said:
    I hear ya all on the spines, but it doesn't make sense.  Many fish - and birds - eat Catfish, grouper, bass, crappie, etc., etc., which all have spines - and some are very nasty.  Can't remember what for sure, but I'm very sure I saw a video of "something" eating a Lionfish.

Yah, found one in just a few minutes:  
    Finally..... something good to know about Barracuda.  Of course Cudas are infamous for steeling catch off divers spears.  I bet if it was not on the diver's spear, the cuda would not have attempted to eat it.  I have seen videos of a Black Grouper eating a Lion fish.

evernic1 said:
    I slow trolled one of those all-day off the back of my kayak last March.  It was a hardy bait, but nothing would touch it.  Meanwhile, I caught Little Tunny, Blackfin, Amberjack, Almacos and King Mackerel on my vertical jig the same time that bait was soaking on another lin

Fish ain't dumb...those spines sting...A LOT !!!
    They do hurt.  That is the reason why I snipped the spines off the Leatherback.   I guess the fish were not smart enough to see that, or maybe they just saw my stinger rig and decided to pass on that -- LOl
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,408 Admiral
    I have seen a video of a mutton snapper also eating a lionfish. That’s probably why that decent size Mutton looked interested in it on the video.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 159 Deckhand
    fixedrate said:
    god i hate those little fish. 
    got stuck a few times, even though i try to avoid those little stupid spines at all cost.

stings for hours for me.

yellowjacket fish.
    Yellowjacket is a bee...LOL...this fish is a leatherjacket...or skipjack in our area
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,561 AG
    i picked up one on a reef out of St Pete and didn't know what it was, handled it 3 times that day and never got stung, and nothing wanted any part of it.  Dumb luck i guess 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter