Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Water clarity after tropical storm Eta

How long do you guys think it will take for the nearshore (up to 1 mile offshore) waters to clear up a bit after this storm?

1 week, 2 weeks?

A few friends and I may be planning an upcoming trip around Sarasota and Venice next week or maybe just after Thanksgiving

thanks in advance

Replies

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,055 Officer
    Are you talking about clear enough for fishing or clear enough for diving?  For fishing, 2-3 "calm" days, for diving, probably 6-7 "calm" days.  Winds don't look great for next week, but I'd say this Saturday and Sunday should be nice.  The other question to ask is whether the fish got pushed farther out by the storm and how long it will take them to come back in...
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 240 Deckhand
     We will be planning on doing a bit of both diving and fishing although it will depend on weather and water conditions. We are pretty flexible and just looking to have a good time

Thanks for the response kokosing lover
  • Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 101 Deckhand
    edited November 2020 #4
    I had the same question.  I was at Lido beach today and there was a lot of debris in the water and it was real murky.  I was hoping to fish tomorrow or Sunday since the wind should be down but maybe I'll wait until next weekend.
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 821 Officer
    Went to drop the traps for our charter tomorrow and it was blowing 20-25mph. Hoping it lets off a little. Water was definitely stirred up but not quite pea soup.  Off Hudson btw.
  • Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 101 Deckhand
    Went to Lido beach again today and while the beach water was better there was still quite a bit of debris and the water was still cloudy.  The inter-coastal is full of tannic-acid stained water.  The runoff from rivers is going to take a while.