Home Off Topic

Greatest Country on the Planet!!

Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 533 Officer
edited November 2020 in Off Topic #1
As she was lifting up it began to light up all of the headstones, as if they were the spot light of that moment. A wave of patriotism and why we are here in this country was in the air.  With everything going on it should shed some light on all of us. Always remember why this is the greatest country on earth. Seeing it in person is not even close to what the camera does.

Canaveral National Cemetery Scottsmoor Florida
Falcon 9 Rocket 11-5-2020 1824hrs

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,473 Moderator
    That's a cool picture. Thanks for sharing.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 2,050 Captain
    Very uplifting picture...especially with everything that's going on.  Thanks
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,740 Captain
    Awesome pic and thoughts. Thx
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,538 AG
    Very cool photo.  Can we still call digital images photos?  
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,016 Captain
    mplspug said:
    mplspug said:
    Sure, just like people still say they're filming something for YouTube.  Doubt it'll change anytime soon.
  • LMKLMK Posts: 596 Officer
    needed that, thank you
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,404 AG
    we all need more of that 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA Posts: 792 Officer
    Nice Capture! 

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,876 Captain
    edited November 2020 #10
    As she was lifting up it began to light up all of the headstones, as if they were the spot light of that moment.
    Did Q drop that clue to you Drew, or you just up to your usual, stir some crap up posts here?

• Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 533 Officer
    As she was lifting up it began to light up all of the headstones, as if they were the spot light of that moment.
    Did Q drop that clue to you Drew, or you just up to your usual, stir some crap up posts here?

I put something up positive, especially for some in the foreground may have died for your freedom and you just have some kind of hard on for me, no matter what it is, or who is involved. It is like a stalker. And what about this picture is "crap". It's like you are making fun of the situation there, where it was taken. It was just a matter of time before one you said something negative towards me. Used to it. I have no idea what the heck you are even talking about herewith your comment.

Thank you everyone, the timing of this was critical. Like a lot of pictures, light is key. I find with these night rocket shots are you have to open the shutter minutes before lift off, so lift has to be when they say. A delay can cause an issue.

I think the word picture can apply to digital world as well.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,876 Captain
    edited November 2020 #12
    The picture is beautiful drew.......I'm sure that takes skill and dedication....give you props.
    But it was the two unnecessary "hint" sentences you threw in about "headstones being lit up" to "shed light on".
    If you think ghosts are putting things in mailboxes, just be a man and come out and say so. :)

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,473 Moderator
    Seems like he put up something heartfelt and a lot of others appreciated it. If you have a personal beef with him, please take to a PM. Thanks.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,538 AG
    CB current mood

Just dropping grenades in OT
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,404 AG

You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    edited November 2020 #16
    The picture is beautiful drew.......I'm sure that takes skill and dedication....give you props.
    But it was the two unnecessary "hint" sentences you threw in about "headstones being lit up" to "shed light on".
    If you think ghosts are putting things in mailboxes, just be a man and come out and say so. :)

Ok, well, thank you for the props thing. I do appreciate that

So maybe I should give more detail here about what I meant with the comment light up. So no, not ghosts, nothing spooky at all, or unknown, not even close. Not my thing, so I was not thinking of that at all. However I can see what some may think.

Set the scene:

So I get there just before dark, around 1745hrs, lift is scheduled for 1824hrs. I Can see very well still, without a flashlight. I set the camera up and wait. Now you have to think I am the only one there, not a person in sight. I have been here before and I find it humbling to be there and very American. You go and read some of these and it makes you think what they did in their lives, what led them to this final resting place. (there is one headstone there that reads 1889 – 1914, which leads me to believe WWI, some reason it stuck to me this one)

So as the clock ticks away it gets darker and darker. Now it Is pitch black, your eyes are sensitive. The lens is pointed towards the space center/LC40 over the refuge so no light pollution what so ever. The stars were so intense.  

Around 2 minutes before when I hope ignition happens I push a remote control on the camera to activate the shutter being opened, then I close it in several minutes. You cannot use any flash light anywhere once this happens or it can ruin the picture.  So now I just walk away and hope it does go up at the time they said or it will be over/underexposed.

As I am just looking out among all the headstones in the complete darkness when out to the south east is that light from the engines slowly starting light up the sky as it climbs, on time. Perfect!  Like a flare being shot up it started to “light up” all the headstones”, as if the spot light is on them and not the launch.

As it was illuminating them up it was kind of like a curtain on a stage being opened for a show. For me it is thinking without the sacrifices some of these men and women they have made for their country, and us,  I may not be here to be able to do this. To me, I am thankful to them.

Thanks!

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,304 AG
    I think it was a great picture..

Thank you Cavanaugh68.

I don't always agree with you but nice pic, thanks for sharing.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I think it was a great picture..

Thank you Cavanaugh68.

I don't always agree with you but nice pic, thanks for sharing.

I really appreciate that! Thank you!