Home Conservation Front

Increased King Mackerel Limit

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,111 Captain
edited December 2 in Conservation Front #1
Any thoughts regarding this?

The recreational bag limit for king mackerel has been increased to four fish per person per day through March 16, 2021, in all Atlantic state and federal waters from Miami-Dade through Nassau counties.

This change is consistent with recent changes in Atlantic federal waters to address forgone fishing opportunities to the recreational fishing community. Learn more about these changes in federal waters at Fisheries.NOAA.gov by searching for “king mackerel emergency rule.”

Learn more about recreational fishing at MyFWC.com/Marine by clicking on “Recreational Regulations.”

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,408 Admiral
    Ahh, the sacrificial Kingfish.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 409 Deckhand
    Ahh, the sacrificial Kingfish.
    Right? Two is more than enough...
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,147 Captain
    Two is enough for you (and me also), but that doesn’t mean other people might want to keep
    more. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 2,111 Captain
    So now the charter boats will keep 4 per person to display at the end of the trip.  Most of the customers are not keeping those fish, ie more fish being sold under the table. 
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 711 Officer
    That seems a bit too much considering most people wont retain them or all of them for food and will likely spoil. I guess you could always make chum. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,758 AG
    So now the charter boats will keep 4 per person to display at the end of the trip.  Most of the customers are not keeping those fish, ie more fish being sold under the table. 
    I'm not sure if the charter guy can still sell their catch, if they possess a federal Kingfish permit.

only recreational fishermen sell fish under the table.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 796 Officer
    If a party boat has 20 anglers on board, they can legally take 80 fish?  When's the last time you saw any boat off Miami catch 80 kingfish?  1985?  Party boats would routinely catch 150-200 kings in one morning off Miami, but this has not been the case in many, many years.  I don't think this new limit will make a difference, other than the odd day when someone will get a couple more than their 2/person limit.  Not a big deal.