Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Kayak Capacity

Fishing offshore, I like a high capacity kayak, never want to be short when the big one finally hits.

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/kayak-weight-capacity/

Replies

• Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 184 Deckhand
    What's your view on being over capacity in a relatively sheltered environment?
    For example, I've wanted to camp on Rabbit Key on the edge of the Everglades.  I've been there before and it's a pretty easy trip.  But to camp there overnight I have go over capacity.  My little Hobie Sport only has a capacity of 225#.  I weight 200, so you see the problem. I'm guessing I'll be less than 10# over on the way down, but slightly under capacity on the way back.
    2014 Hobie Sport
    Also I'm assuming the 225# doesn't include seat, paddle, and mirage drive
    2014 Hobie Sport
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,984 Captain
    What's your view on being over capacity in a relatively sheltered environment?
    For example, I've wanted to camp on Rabbit Key on the edge of the Everglades.  I've been there before and it's a pretty easy trip.  But to camp there overnight I have go over capacity.  My little Hobie Sport only has a capacity of 225#.  I weight 200, so you see the problem. I'm guessing I'll be less than 10# over on the way down, but slightly under capacity on the way back.
    That does not sound like a good idea to me.  What if the wind kicks up? Rabbit Key is Like 5+ miles from the mainland?  Are you a good swimmer?  Have the speed dial set on your cell phone?

The kayak will probably handle it without cracking/sinking.  A 175lb yellowfin tuna was landed ashore on an overcapacity Hobie Revo 13, so it's not like it has not been done before.  It's just not a good idea.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 16,000 AG
    Id figure out a way to float the extra stuff behind me and tow it.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • krashkrash Posts: 799 Officer
    If I was a camper I'd get a Canoe... but would not suggest overloading anything, that's an easy way to get into trouble.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    mplspug said:
    Id figure out a way to float the extra stuff behind me and tow it.
    Good idea, use a cheap raft to tow the extra gear.
    I've researched this and found a dozen people who say they'd never do it again.
    Thx for all the ideas.  I think I'll lose another 10#.

2014 Hobie Sport
    I've researched this and found a dozen people who say they'd never do it again.
    Thx for all the ideas.  I think I'll lose another 10#.

LOL, Always a good thing to shed any extra weight.  I bet the mosquitos and No See Ums are wicked on that key.