Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

10/17- Boca, big sail and kings

Pretty sloppy but NE wind against current made for decent drifts. Still getting kite up when flat line starts screaming. Standard rule of biggest bite on smallest rod held up. 6000 Saragosa with about 150 yds of 50# braid with another 150 of 15# braid. Almost spooled before before we started chase. My son spent first 30-40 min on the backing before he was able keep line. Fish sounded and came up another 20 minutes later TAIL hooked and pretty much spent. We tried for a while to revive, but just too much for the fish. Sad ending, but heck of a battle, big shoulder grown up sail, on light tackle in less than ideal conditions. He looked huge in the water, so after we were unable to revive, we brought him in to get pics. Beam on boat is just under 11', and my son is almost 6'4".
The bite was in 150'. Next drift the king's were going off in 120', even on wire.
Great day. TYL!

Replies

• CAPTAIN KABUKCAPTAIN KABUK Posts: 24 Deckhand
    Nice job on the fish, please keep our sailfish in the water it’s the law . Also gives the fish a better chance of survival.
  • FishOn1FishOn1 Boca RatonPosts: 16 Deckhand
    We spent a long time with the fish, it was real unfortunate...
    I questioned whether to even post...
  • iceblueiceblue Boca ratonPosts: 4 Greenhorn
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 415 Deckhand
    Sounds like a great trip fishing with your son. If you can't smoke the sail, they are good seared or boiled and made for salad, just like marlin or tuna.
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,194 Officer
    @ Capt kubiak
    Did you even read his post?
    they didn’t bring it aboard until they determined they couldn’t revive it
    and so long as one has hms you can keep one

OP
    nice work

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 6,620 Admiral
    Nice job on the fish, please keep our sailfish in the water it’s the law . Also gives the fish a better chance of survival.
    Read what MGD said above 

Not only does he say he brought it in after riving it, he has a pic with his son who is 6’4”. I did read it bro. Also you
    need a permit to bring it home . Know your regulations before you fish! 
  • plasteredplastered Posts: 535 Officer
    Not only does he say he brought it in after riving it, he has a pic with his son who is 6’4”. I did read it bro. Also you

GEEEZ    If I don't have a HMS permit im still not releasing a

sail that is not going to survive.You know how many people keep

skipjack tuna without a permit.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,118 AG
    Nice job trying to revive it sometimes it just isn't in the cards.   
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,194 Officer
    @ Capt. Kubiak
    Again:" so after we were unable to revive, we brought him in"

I still don't understand your problem man....OP realized it was dead and brought it in and took pics and kept it.
    That's what I would do.
    What's the point of releasing a dead fish????
    And ya know what, that fish was tail wrapped. Even IF it did "revive" I doubt it would live long
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,085 Captain
    FishOn1 said:
    We spent a long time with the fish, it was real unfortunate...
    I questioned whether to even post...
    Congrats on the catches.  Sorry the revival did not work out.  Glad you decided to post, but wish you had chosen to share in water sailfish pics instead of the on the boat one.  Those who don't know the laws mimic the pics.  Sailfish are a destination fish.  For that reason places like Costa Rica, Guatemala and the US have the keep in the water and release laws.  Long term, this is in everyone's best interests.
  • fla crackerfla cracker Posts: 144 Deckhand
    You would need to know where the fish was caught with regards to State or Federal waters, before you can say that he needs a HMS permit.  I have caught many sails within State waters.  Also, he didn't say whether he had an HMS permit or not.  Personally, sailfish is my favorite fish to smoke and have no problem keeping one for that.  It is quite legal, and "oh, it's so good!"
  • FishOn1FishOn1 Boca RatonPosts: 16 Deckhand
    We kept my first one when I was 12, mid 70's, and father mounted with Grey Tax. We caught several more that day, on the old Kalex with Alex Adler, all released. I'm all about conservation...this was the first one to come in the boat since that day...I felt bad. If we don't eat it or use it for bait, it goes back or released at boat side like sails, snook, tarpon, etc. I'm pretty picky...pass on a lot of species I see posted in here. It's ashame, 15+ yrs ago, this was a great site to share info and catches. I got away from it due to all the rhetoric and judgemental negativity. Today there's about 10% the number of posts...
    I just thought it was a great catch and wanted to share.
  • DrCokeDrCoke Posts: 177 Deckhand
     Congratulations on the catch. Can’t always revive them all or clean release when sharks are thick. Love your picture and I hope you spread the picture more to anger all the Karen’s and chad out there. Don’t apologize for anything. I’ve caught many sailfish in state waters even in 30ft. No HMS needed.
    My only problem killing these and other game are people who catch only to drag back to dock for the scale picture and dump them back in the water.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 468 Deckhand
    It is the same everywhere - folks like to correct other folks and you did nothing wrong.

I'm looking forward to catching my first and will likely keep it - know plenty of folks who say the meat is good.

He's a monster - musta been a sight to behold.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,118 AG
    I see shark fishermen down there who charter keep one or two sails a week legally.  These are not an endangered species.   
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 415 Deckhand
    Not legal for bait these days but I knew a commercial fisherman years ago who knew that groupers and muttons loved a chunk of sailfish.
  • RealdeepRealdeep Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Nice Sail. If its legal to keep ignore the haters and enjoy it.
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 977 Officer
    edited October 2020 #20
    Many years ago my dad would be selling his fish at a local wholesale fish house that will remain nameless and he'd see a truckload of sailfish being brought for sale, from taxidermists.  This is back in the day when they needed the actual fish for the mount.  If you ever wondered what the taxidermists did with the fish after they made the mount, now you know.  Better than letting them go to waste, but I wonder if they gave the customers a discount on the price of the mount if they could keep the fish.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,542 Admiral
    Sailfish meat is pink and rolled up with rice and seaweed 99% of the people would think they were eating Tuna in a sushi roll. Especially once dipped in soy and wasabi. Lots of Sailfish ended up in Sushi restaurants in the '80s and '90s. FWC crackdowns sort of ended this practice but I am sure it still happens. I agree it is great smoked and have no problem harvesting them.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

edited October 2020 #22
    Not in 150 feet off Boca. That depth is state waters off Boca. Read it or just look at a basic chart.  No HMS permit required and the majority of sailfish here are caught in state waters. Only Federal needs HMS.  KNOW your regulations and apologize to OP.  I doubt you will though. 
    I guess no one really cares about conservation, not surprised. Go ahead and have a sailfish in your ice box when you get pulled over by FWC and see what fun you have. 
    edited October 2020 #24
    I guess no one really cares about conservation, not surprised. Go ahead and have a sailfish in your ice box when you get pulled over by FWC and see what fun you have. 
    Troll apparently because you don’t have a source and I am telling you the law. Totally legal catch.