Home Ask the Law!

Is it illegal to fish by a marina dock?

ToeKneeToeKnee Orlando Posts: 17 Deckhand
So my buddy and I where fishing on his little jon and slowly drifting dock to dock fishing for snook, had no problem till we drifted by a marina with a restaurant by it and a lady that had nothing to do with the restaurant staff came out yell and screaming at us. She yelled if we could read the sign that said no fishing... it was 9 o’clock at night how the hell we were suppose to see. Not to mention I took a few glances around and all the signs I did see were faced towards land so I am 99% sure they where meant for the people on the marina. She started threatening us that she was gonna call the cops, if we stuck around would we have gotten in trouble or nothing would’ve happened?

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,295 AG
    i'd have stuck around and found out.  
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 252 Deckhand
    The signs were to keep folks fishing from shore there and stinking up the place.

No-one on land has any say in what you do on navigable waters - you can fish any dock along the intracoastal as long as you can legally be there - ie no coast guard station or really inside a marina but the outside and any private docks are open.

Should you fish em? is a diff story - would you want someone slinging lures at you if enjoying the evening on your dock?  Not really - let the folks on their docks have fun and fish it later on your way back thru.

You would not have gotten in trouble - she may have for interfering with you tho.
  • ToeKneeToeKnee Orlando Posts: 17 Deckhand
    i'd have stuck around and found out.  
    We would’ve lol but my buddy motor started leaking oil and we had to head back before we got stuck on the water. 
  • ToeKneeToeKnee Orlando Posts: 17 Deckhand
    Missed said:
    The signs were to keep folks fishing from shore there and stinking up the place.

No-one on land has any say in what you do on navigable waters - you can fish any dock along the intracoastal as long as you can legally be there - ie no coast guard station or really inside a marina but the outside and any private docks are open.

Should you fish em? is a diff story - would you want someone slinging lures at you if enjoying the evening on your dock?  Not really - let the folks on their docks have fun and fish it later on your way back thru.

You would not have gotten in trouble - she may have for interfering with you tho.
    Generally when I fishing docks I take precautions to not hit the boats and this time we weren’t actually casting by the boats since all the bait was pushed up by the sea walls.
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 239 Deckhand
    edited October 15 #6
    To answer succinctly, no it is not illegal to fish by a marina dock. 

Laws vary from place to place but the only possible exception that comes to mind, which sounds like it's not the case here, is sometimes if a marina is dug out of a natural shoreline (so the actual water basin had to be made by the developer / would otherwise have been land), I believe in that case the entire marina can be privately owned and off limits. Otherwise any tidal navigable water is open to everybody.

Other than that it's just common sense decency. For example I wouldn't fish by a busy marina where people are coming in and out for fuel, or as was said above if people are enjoying the view from their docked boats or the dock itself, I wouldn't cast up under their feet.

Doesn't sound like you were in the wrong at all here though if you were along a seawall at 9pm
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 327 Deckhand
    Sounds like you found Karen! :D