Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

ARS Open next weekend...and weather looks...you guessed it...like crap

In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 764 Officer
    You guys haven't figured out yet that the powers that be are throwing the big chatter boats a bone and really don't expect you to catch much
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 790 Officer
    of course
    :( 
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,538 Captain
    Lostconch said:
    You guys haven't figured out yet that the powers that be are throwing the big chatter boats a bone and really don't expect you to catch much
    Lostconch said:
    Thought the extended season was only for recs and not federally licensed for hires................Or did I miss something?
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 710 Officer
    drgibby said:
    Lostconch said:
    Lostconch said:
    Thought the extended season was only for recs and not federally licensed for hires................Or did I miss something?
    You are correct....only rec not for hire charter boats or head boats. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 764 Officer
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,574 Captain
    "My mistake"     No problem!   That's how we learn. 
    The Florida tore the ARS apart this year. However, there was a price to be paid.
     Average water depth fished was over 200 feet. In central Florida that's one heck of a ride. 
    Now the Florida is on dry dock:

Have my fingers crossed that the recs will take over where we left off.
    Unfortunately this does not look good:

Look at Friday compared to Saturday. 
    PLEASE leave us alone!

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,698 AG
    drgibby said:
    Lostconch said:
    Lostconch said:
    MY LORD MAN! 

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant full of half truths and innuendo!!!

what were you thinking?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Saturday looks a little sporty! 30mph winds are a nice touch
    Everglades 243
    Saying a little prayer for good weather. Love to see some pictures. 
  • Stevej12Stevej12 Posts: 12 Deckhand
    Looks like crap for the following weekend also.
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Of course, I saw a nice 24+ inch ARS on Friday while diving in 65 feet of water. My trigger finger almost betrayed me.
    looks like this weekend is doable - I probably just killed it for us  
    sorry in advance
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

looks like this weekend is doable - I probably just killed it for us  
    sorry in advance
    Looks doable but gonna be sporty. We are booked for a charter Sat and will chase Gags and Hogs but Sunday we may run the boat and try to get some ARS. Hopefully we don't get beat up too much.

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,389 Captain
    Sunday looked good yesterday and looks questionable today. Hoping it goes back to good.  Would like to get out.  Time will tell.  Will make call on Friday/Saturday.
    Sunday looked good yesterday and looks questionable today. Hoping it goes back to good.  Would like to get out.  Time will tell.  Will make call on Friday/Saturday.

same here Paul - it keeps changing slightly.... the good news is the ride in looks ok on both days - 5-8pm..
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

i think that tropical wave is having a lot to say about our weekend weather. So it almost looks like out of 3 weekends to fish for ars, we probably won't get one. Windy is saying 14-16knts for most of sat and sun. Gonna make that run to deeper water pretty tough.
    Weekend weather per Windfinder.
    106 miles West Northwest of Tampa:

That's about what we can expect this time of year. Not too bad for bigger boats & seasoned skippers.
    Be safe out there. All the Red Snapper in the Gulf are not worth a single human life!

• SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 146 Deckhand
    edited October 22 #20
    Trying to figure out how much abuse I can take Saturday.  I'll be on 406mhz on my epirb if anyone wants to talk  B)
    Everglades 243
    Trying to figure out how much abuse I can take Saturday.  I'll be on 406mhz on my epirb if anyone wants to talk  B)

LOL
    Going give  Saturday  a shot .. try to ease out to 110ft hope i get lucky for the ride in which shows it dying down some..  if its too bad just hit grouper spots

bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 866 Officer
    Don't forget the consolation kingfish that are out there right now.
    Very best to one & all.  Love to see some pictures. 
    Good luck if you go out.  I am thinking it is going to be a blow.  Want to talk myself into Sunday but can't convince myself YET that it is going to be calm enough to not get beat to h#ll...  Will continue to monitor.

yep - it keeps changing
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

It's gonna be sporty this weekend for sure. I already warned my customers for tomorrow to take their Dramamine. Luckily we have a 36 footer or I'd probably call it myself. Hopefully we'll be able to plug out to 20-40' to troll and bottom fish for gags and Hogs, possibly a king or two.
    clarosa said:
    It's gonna be sporty this weekend for sure. I already warned my customers for tomorrow to take their Dramamine. Luckily we have a 36 footer or I'd probably call it myself. Hopefully we'll be able to plug out to 20-40' to troll and bottom fish for gags and Hogs, possibly a king or two.

you re killing me chris
    :D
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

edited October 23 #28
    but you re right ..its not looking good

bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

• MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 122 Deckhand
    We are sending it tomorrow. Gotta a feeling the weatherman will be wrong. 
    Regulator 24fs
    23' Pursuit CC
    "Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson 
    Sunday looks a little better now.   Most the sites are saying 2'  Will monitor how it goes tomorrow and make the call about sunday.  Hopefully it will continue to get better looking.  Good luck Chris.
    Good news is, I ran the traps today and it didn't look too bad actually. We'll see tomorrow. If you guys get out, good luck!! Unfortunately I can't keep ARS being a charter tomorrow, but I may go diving Sun if the weather isn't too bad Sat and try to pierce a couple.