Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    edited October 9 #2
    Total Bullsnot..... Having a commercial harvest in the face of declining stocks....where they feel they have to pass sweeping restrictions on recreational anglers is bull... They already have the formula...a successful one....that was done in the 1980's to save Redfish stocks...CLOSED TO ALL HARVEST...after a couple seasons when stocks have rebounded ....measured *BY SCIENCE*...not models or "best guess" science.... Then, A sensible bag limit.... with a slot. Just like EVERY OTHER FISH...some fish are valuable breeding stock...and need to be left to breed.. A realistic assesment of if there should even be...a commercial fishery and how much it can reasonably be. It's just not that hard...if you leave the politics out...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Totally agree.  
  • MowermanMowerman Posts: 5 Deckhand
    I'm with you, I know commercial guys are trying to make a living, but if fish stocks are not supporting that it should be closed for all, not just us.

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,613 Captain
    A lot of people have to change professions throughout their lives...why not commercial fishermen.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,758 AG
    saltybum said:
    A lot of people have to change professions throughout their lives...why not commercial fishermen.
    Why should we just to satisfy the egos of sporties torturing several dozen fish per day?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I love it when you trout snatchers brag on social media about weeding thru 50-100 short trout to catch a limit..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Goof TroopGoof Troop Posts: 15 Deckhand
    A large part of the take is Shrimp Trawling with dead discard so... Ban Shrimp Trawling here and import more garbage.

Any time any animal finned, furred or feathered has a price on it's head it subject to severe decline or extinction.
    That doesn't take science or extensive/expensive studies to figure out.

Why do recreational anglers get only a four day snapper season but it's open to commercial take until Jan?
    Corruption among the political rule makers is why.
    Just ONE example.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I love it when you trout snatchers brag on social media about weeding thru 50-100 short trout to catch a limit..
    Limit here is 2 per day....Doesn't take much weeding to get mine....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    And the commercial guys probably killed two hundred to get a legal limit.
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 182 Deckhand
    duckmanJR said:
    Total Bullsnot..... Having a commercial harvest in the face of declining stocks....where they feel they have to pass sweeping restrictions on recreational anglers is bull... They already have the formula...a successful one....that was done in the 1980's to save Redfish stocks...CLOSED TO ALL HARVEST...after a couple seasons when stocks have rebounded ....measured *BY SCIENCE*...not models or "best guess" science.... Then, A sensible bag limit.... with a slot. Just like EVERY OTHER FISH...some fish are valuable breeding stock...and need to be left to breed.. A realistic assesment of if there should even be...a commercial fishery and how much it can reasonably be. It's just not that hard...if you leave the politics out...
    duckmanJR said:

• Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 182 Deckhand
    I totally agree with duck ..****...    Close it for recreational...open for the politicians......I believe 100% in conservation across the board ... I don’t give a rats patois about commercial boys having to reconstruct their lives because they have depleted a natural resource...just like red snapper ...commercial boys have the politicians in their pocket...what’s the argument ? Construction workers have had to change trades thru the years based on economics..as well as people in the entertainment industry....the playing field must be leveled...The recreational fisherman put way too much money into the economy to be screwed over..
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 417 Deckhand
    No wild animal or fish should be used for commercial purposes.  As long as money is attached to it, it will disappear.
    saltybum said:
    And the commercial guys probably killed two hundred to get a legal limit.
    no, we're much better fishermen than that...

seriously, you should pay us to teach you.
    I totally agree with duck ..****...    Close it for recreational...open for the politicians......I believe 100% in conservation across the board ... I don’t give a rats patois about commercial boys having to reconstruct their lives because they have depleted a natural resource...just like red snapper ...commercial boys have the politicians in their pocket...what’s the argument ? Construction workers have had to change trades thru the years based on economics..as well as people in the entertainment industry....the playing field must be leveled...The recreational fisherman put way too much money into the economy to be screwed over..
    look it up boi, economic impact favors us commercials.. Fact.
    No wild animal or fish should be used for commercial purposes.  As long as money is attached to it, it will disappear.
    that statement doesn't reflect current red drum restrictions does it?
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 362 Deckhand
    Hey Art, does anyone actually commercial fish for flounders hook and line or are they targeted dragging or just a bycatch of dragging for shrimp?
    a few gig, most are bycatch from shrimping..

Seems like NE Fl and St. Marks west to Ala, on the west coast are the hot spots.
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 362 Deckhand
    Thanks, that's what I thought, that it's mostly a rec fishery in FL.
  • diverdandiverdan jacksonville flPosts: 16 Deckhand
    if people want to buy fish then start farming just like everything else........you cant buy duck dear or other wild game right? learn to fish or eat the farm stuff
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,561 AG
    Dana nat nat nat....another one bites the dust 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    dear?
  • diverdandiverdan jacksonville flPosts: 16 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 said:
    dear?
    Oh dear a typo! Now you dont have to worry if you lose your comercial fishing "gig"(get it gigging flounder) you can be a grammar teacher
    Art will not be a teacher...He might open up a smoothie shop though..... LOL
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    There is no place for commercial harvest in the wild.  It wipes everything out and then you have to farm all your meat.  Look at pretty much every Asian country.  There is a reason they learned to farm everything....
    There is no place for commercial harvest in the wild.  It wipes everything out and then you have to farm all your meat.  Look at pretty much every Asian country.  There is a reason they learned to farm everything....
    yes, we could learn a lot from the Asian shrimp/tilapia farms... lol
    diverdan said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    dear?
    Oh dear a typo! Now you dont have to worry if you lose your comercial fishing "gig"(get it gigging flounder) you can be a grammar teacher
    I wouldn't waste my time gigging even if your Mom was my cabin boy.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,408 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    dear?
    You can buy plenty of dears. Some can be very costly and lead to divorce.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Tell me one sustainable commercial operation that humans have run.....they don't exist.  Wait till China eventually get the Bahamas to play ball.  You commercial guys won't have a piece of seaweed to catch.
    edited November 2 #31
    stone crab
    salmon
    spiney lobster

still waiting on the Darden/Walmart ARS IFQ sales for the rec sector.. :p