Home Egret Boats

New to me 189. Few questions

mlanzmlanz Not where wanna bePosts: 4 Greenhorn
So I just picked up 2012 C/K 189. Really impressed with these boats. Can’t wait to put it thru its paces. 
Have couple questions.  I searched internet but haven’t “found” info I’m. Looking for. Thought I’d check here before calling factory.  

1). What trolling motor are you using? 36V or 24v. Reason I ask is boat currently has 36 on it and 3 odyssey batteries. I have (from another now derailed project) a new MK 24v 54” terrors and 2 new Li ion batteries I was thinking of installing this winter. Benefits as I see it are 1) use my new TM & 2) shave 100# of battery weight out of boat.  

2). Have new Li ion house battery to swap out group 34 odyssey. Weight savings 60#’s. Has anyone switched from traditional batteries to Li ion?  If so did weight reductions effect CG of boat or ride characteristics?

appreciate everyone’s thoughts. 

Mark

Replies

  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 553 Officer
    edited September 30 #2
    While I would normally say 36v is always better, 24v works fine on my 21' and would be more than fine on your 189.  The fact you have a new 24v trolling motor and lithium batteries for it sounds like a no-brainer to go that route.

    However, if you really want to spend $1000 you would have no trouble selling that 24v TM to buy a 36v TM, and add another Li ion battery. 36v motors are a little more efficient; I believe Rhodan published something on that.. 

    There are some people on here running lithiums that can speak more on that.  If they are in the console, I wouldn't worry too much about the weight but the lithiums have other advantages besides weight too.
  • mlanzmlanz Not where wanna bePosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thx.  Batteries are located 1) two of TM batts in forward compartment under plexiglass cover and 2) house and 3rd TM battery in compartment under seat/helm.

    Battery/TM swap out to 24V would allow me use forward compartment for 2 TM batts.  Then, of course, single house under helm seat (may add second in parallel for more capacity)

    Also have new power pole charge that I would be installing to deal with new lithium batts....current stealth system won't work on Lithiums (already spoke with guys at stealth).
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 220 Deckhand
    I have a 1997 and have used a 24 volt 80# the whole time. I find it just fine for about 95% of what I do the other 5% I don't think a stronger would help. I have three batteries and all are under the seat.
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,991 Captain
    I've been running a 24 volt, 80lb Minn Kota Terrova on my 17' Maverick for a year now - and that same setup would work just fine on your Egret (which is less than 100lbs heavier than my old maverick....).  I'm in commercial service as a guide and once or twice forgot to hook up my on-board charger (a PowerMania two bank, dedicated to my trolling batts with the low side on one of the trolling batts doubling as my second cranking battery when needed, when switched into line...)... then had to work the next day without charging - and I never new it hadn't been peaked up the night before...

    Very pleased with my current set-up and it's exactly what I'd use with a 189 Egret if I was ever fortunate enough to have one... I'm using standard wet-cel batts for all of my needs - a single group 24 for starting and two group 27 batts for the troller.  I'd love to use lithium batts but find them cost prohibitive at present.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 355 Deckhand
    edited October 13 #6
    I've been running a 24 MK on my Moccasin for the last 4 seasons. Same batteries never a problem. I'm still amazed of how little juice this things uses. I can fish in a 2 to 3 knot current for a hole tide with approximately 2 plus hours of faster racing currents especially on the moons and not go below 23 volts.
    This would more then suffice on a 189.
    Vinny

  • mlanzmlanz Not where wanna bePosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thx for replies. Just got back from first trip. What a capable boat. Love it. Now onto winter projects. Thx for all feedback.
  • 18Egret18Egret Posts: 8 Deckhand
    Don't be scared to push the throttle....You'll be amazed. Pete
  • mlanzmlanz Not where wanna bePosts: 4 Greenhorn
    I read to hit throttles and tab down when rough. Had a 10 mile run up river (Venice, LA) that was just full sloppy chop and crew boat wakes. It was very impressive ride. 
Sign In or Register to comment.