Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Cotee - North 9/27

Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,012 Moderator
Left the dock on the Cotee at 7:00  Ran North about a mile and pulled up to a Mangrove shoreline showing lots of mullet wakes.  Thankfully I did not stop for bait as I had purchased 8 dozen shrimp for the three of us.    First cast produced a redfish and a snook for my two friends.  I them caught a red.   And it continued like that for 2 1/2 hours.  We ended up with about 20 reds, 1 snook, 2 keeper black drum, 3 keeper mangos  and a short sheephead.  When the bite slowed, I broke the number 1 rule of fishing, "Never leave fish to find fish".  Once we left the area, the only other bite we got all day was a catfish.  It's been a while since I caught redfish like that.  Ran out of shrimp at noon and headed back to the dock

Replies

• permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,097 Officer
    The redfish action has been good along the pasco/hernando county coast and north.  We fished Thurs morning and started out on an island catching upper slot reds and a few rats.  The pleasant surprise was the keeper sized mangrove snapper bite in same spot. Mud minnows were the ticket for both. As y'all did we moved (used up minnows and snappa were destroying shrimp and gulps). next spot only yielded one nice red and a couple rats. Sometimes ya just gotta move. At least then you know the bite wasnt better "over there". Fish were done eating around tenish both days i made it out. snook on rapala, 1st hr of light, as usual. As was the case w the week before snappers came home.