Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Snagged, deep water shrimp net

Any advice on how to retrieve a snagged deep water cast without destroying the net?  Any advice of known hang ups at the Doctors Lake bridge area?  The common casting areas in front of the flag houses specifically.

I hung up my deep water net last week at the Dr's inlet bridge.   North east side of the inlet in front of the flag houses.   More specifically right in front of that lone young cypress tree on the bank, house next to the broken down dock.  Water depth was 18-20'.  I tied the net rope to my boat and went in.  I tried to follow my rope down but it gets dark quick and i was by myself and worried i might get tangled or what ever and gave up.  All i got back was my handline, yoke and braille lines. 

Sure i'm bummed about being out a small chunk of change for the net but more so i hated leaving a net on the bottom of the river and hazard to marine life it will cause.  The odd thing is i have thrown that area for many years and never had an issue.  this is the first time this has happened to me.  Now i'm so nervous about blind casting in deep water in open areas of the river.

Any advice, tips, tricks or methods to avoiding this again would be much appreciated.

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    Can you borrow a tank or do you have a friend that dives? 20 feet is not too deep for free diving but it depends on your age and condition.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 115 Deckhand
    Appreciate your concern but let it go. Not worth risking injury or worse. Never seen much where you’re talking about but this high water causing stuff to move. Must have seen 2 or 3 nets go away from people every year for the last 50 years.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,871 Admiral
    Whatever you do...DO NOT DIVE DOWN AND TRY TO RETREVE!!!

Just pull like hell. If it's fixable when it comes up....fix it. If not....work a couple of extra hours to make the cash to buy a new one. In 50+ years of tossing nets you can be sure I've lost a few.......but I am still alive.........
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 115 Deckhand
  • StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Not worth time or effort for a net imo
  • Hardluk81Hardluk81 Posts: 70 Deckhand
    Not sure what it is but I’ve hung up on it a couple times the past few weeks. 18’-20’ of water lined up with the small cypress tree/blue swing set on the bank. I tried to check it out on the side scan. It kinda looks like a log or pole. 
  • firebonefirebone Posts: 36 Deckhand
    I agree with the previous comments..let it go.  Dark water diving with any current is dangerous.  Lord knows how many nets are on the bottom in our shrimping spots.  Footnote i keep some old nets for testing spots before i throw my pride and joy.  Just a thought here.
  • Feet1stShoesFeet1stShoes Posts: 171 Deckhand
    I'm an experienced diver and there is no way I would go after a lost net! Viz in that area is about 12 inches. You would have to be right on top of the net to find it and then you risk the diver becoming entangled in whatever hung up the net. I've lost nets there as well. And I've lost expensive anchors in the river too. The only way I would dive to retrieve something is well offshore in water with decent visibility!
  • timeout4funtimeout4fun Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I also hooked up on something in that same location. My sonar is out, but had shrimped there many times this year. I was able to pull it off the bottom until I could get to the pull strings, and managed to free the net with only 1 broken string. VERY LUCKY!   Not throwing again until my sonar gets fixed though.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,642 Captain
    when I tangled my ankle in the snagged net and figured I might die, I was glad to get back to the surface and told myself I would not do that again.

I have seen someone pull his net up with a treble, weighted snatch hook on a stronger line. He lost some draw strings but not his life.