Home Diver's Corner

30 yr old man attacked by shark at Sombrero Lighthouse yesterday

L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 694 Officer

https://www.facebook.com/floridakeyssheriff/posts/10157260391231816

Be Safe Yall. I asked her today if she would be nervous of getting back in the water. She said NO and reminded me that the day before we saw a 15ft+ Great Hammerhead just east of Sombrero Lighthouse

Here is the wife as SharkBait!  Who Ha Ha  >:)

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,270 AG
    I saw the pictures of the injury.  that shoulder was completely shredded.   
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 694 Officer
    Link?
    L8RBRA said:
    Link?
    if you are on instagram go to marktheshark he had a picture posted.   

Holy Sheet!!!!!!!
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 492 Deckhand
    Ouch!  He is lucky that it is still attached...
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    edited September 21 #8

Most people are unaware that back in the hey days of Tourism in Miami shark attacks were not reported in the major local newspapers. I know this for a fact since I worked in journalism and tourism and subscribed to a newspaper in the Fla Keys. Shark attacks (even fatal ones) offshore of Miami would sometimes appear in the small Fla Keys newspaper but would not appear in the Miami Herald or Miami News.  .

Giimoozaabi
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,069 Admiral
    Nasty bite for sure. I doubt he will ever get much use out of that arm unless the can perform a miracle.. At least he is alive. So I guess some folks saw a big Bull shark in the area prior to the attack. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer

Rare attack for the Keys.

It is believed that sharks can sense a person’s heart rate so it is paramount to stay calm if you encounter one. I have seen several bull sharks while diving and you should never take your eyes off one or turn your back on one. That being said, no one has figured out why one shark will pass you by and another of the same species will strike, just like the fish we chase. 

I have been diving for decades but I will not swim and splash off a public beach. (Seen way too many sharks prowling off public beaches from the air).

Giimoozaabi
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    I haven't personally experimented with this device, but the idea is sound and, like chicken soup, it couldn't hurt. https://www.sharkbanz.com/
    A buddy of mine was actually there when it happened, said there were helicopters, speed boats, the whole red alert.   Said it was weird.   
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,150 Officer
    Been diving and snorkeling in Miami and the Keys for over 55 years and only chased out of the water once by a relatively small (100# class) Bull Shark. Definitely was stalking me. Got to keep your wits about you, but if they want you it's a problem. Won't keep me out of the water but I am always aware of my surroundings. Especially when spearfishing. Hope they can put him back together in good shape. Really stinks! Sounds like he had no chance.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,515 Captain
    Holy crap that looks terrible!!!!!  Was that guy snorkeling or diving?  Not sure I'll show that picture to the wife, she'll never go in the water again
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,515 Captain
    Sorry read the details and it said he was just snorkeling....
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 335 Deckhand
    I was about to jump in last year 20 miles out of Crystal River and just happened to look down and a solid 12 foot hammer head was enjoying the shade of my boat. Scared to tar out of me. Was not expecting it and never had a bad interaction with any but just didn't feel like feeding that fat sucker a twinkie. 
    2019 Frontier 2014 
    I was about to jump in last year 20 miles out of Crystal River and just happened to look down and a solid 12 foot hammer head was enjoying the shade of my boat. Scared to tar out of me. Was not expecting it and never had a bad interaction with any but just didn't feel like feeding that fat sucker a twinkie. 
    My son has seen small 3' sharks while scalloping and wasn't afraid at all but if we saw anything like that we would be out of the water pretty quick.  We like to get out early, but we don't ever like to be the first ones in the water.   Juuuust in case 
    My son has seen small 3' sharks while scalloping and wasn't afraid at all but if we saw anything like that we would be out of the water pretty quick.  We like to get out early, but we don't ever like to be the first ones in the water.   Juuuust in case 
    It took my wife and I a few extra minutes to get into the water at sombrero reef after seeing the big hammer not a 1/4 mile away from there while fishing the day before. You. Never. Know.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,069 Admiral
    Different shark species react differently. I seen some big hammers and they were fairly docile but I never felt comfortable with bull sharks. I have even seen some Caribbean reef sharks act too aggressively for my liking.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 865 Officer
    Hammerheads don't worry me.  But I flat out don't **** trust Bull Sharks.