Home General Hunting

Muzzleloader issues

2»

Replies

• DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,059 Captain
    I know so many deer and hogs that have been lost with powerbelts that IMO it should be your last resort.  Agree with RobertR.  Try the Barnes TEZ sabots.  I can easily get a second one down the barrel after shooting at game without swabbing or putting bore butter all over everything.  Get great groups with them as well.  Good luck!
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 584 Officer
    Like Robert above I have a really old Knight .50 cal. I have always used Barnes 250gr Expander Mz bullets and the black sabots that comes with the box. The bullets are .451 dia. I can shoot my gun as many times as I like with minimal patch every few shots. I don't even know what bore butter is and have never used any lube to load my gun.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,019 Admiral
    I know so many deer and hogs that have been lost with powerbelts that IMO it should be your last resort.  Agree with RobertR.  Try the Barnes TEZ sabots.  I can easily get a second one down the barrel after shooting at game without swabbing or putting bore butter all over everything.  Get great groups with them as well.  Good luck!
    I've Never lost a Buck shooting Powerbelts...
    I have had to track a few. Powerbelts are not the Ideal round cause you never get full penetration...But they shoot straight , load pretty easy and shoot consistently..That's # 1 to me.
    Hit the dang Bullseye...I can handle the rest.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,167 Officer
    MCSHunter said:
    Like Robert above I have a really old Knight .50 cal. I have always used Barnes 250gr Expander Mz bullets and the black sabots that comes with the box. The bullets are .451 dia. I can shoot my gun as many times as I like with minimal patch every few shots. I don't even know what bore butter is and have never used any lube to load my gun.
    The big deal in town where I grew up weekend before gun season opened was at the rod and gun club. Called it a turkey shoot. Had a running deer target on a pulley system and pie plates at 50 yards. 5 people per group and bought tickets to shoot. Closest one in each group to bullseye won a small butter ball turkey to take home for Thanksgiving. 

There was this older feller he never talked to anyone so I just called him d boone but had a old muzzleliader thing looked like 8 feet long. Every year he'd go home with 15-20 turkeys. Only time he ever talked to me he said you wouldn't believe how balanced this gun feels to shoot. Must be why he was always winning