Home General Hunting

Muzzleloader issues

Ryan91027Ryan91027 Posts: 105 Deckhand
edited September 21 in General Hunting #1
I got an inline 50 cal muzzleloader from trt a little while back, I cleaned it last night, and coated it well with bore butter and went to sight it in today. Tired three shots with cast bullets no problem. Removed the bolt and breech, quick swab with a patch and some bore butter. Switched to horrnady sst 350 grain sabots and it after I started it, it was stuck about and inch into the barrel, ramrod wouldnt push it down. I had to pull out the breech plug and hammer it back out of the muzzle with a cleaning rod and a screw driver. I hadnt put bore butter on the sabot beforehand, so I put some on and it got stuck again.
Any suggestions? I might just switch to cast bullets

Replies

• joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 488 Deckhand
    edited September 21 #3
    My son’s Traditions ML will load shockwave saboted bullets pretty easily. Hornady saboted bullets, not so much. Can be done but requires waaaayyyyyy more force than it should. Not sure what causes the difference, but Hornady saboted bullets apparently have a larger diameter.

Haven’t tried putting a Hornady bullet in a shockwave sabot. Has anyone else?
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 328 Deckhand
    https://www.barnesbullets.com/muzzleloaders/spit-fire-t-ez/       I use The Barnes TEZ bullets and Sabots in my Knight ML. Their regular Sabots work well in a clean barrel but the second shot is really hard to get down the barrel, The TEZ sabots are just a little smaller and make the second shot in the field easier to load and the Knight shoots them nicely so its my go to combo. They usually pass completely thru but this one I got just under the hide on a wild hog. 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,145 Captain
    The practice economy sabots they sell as bass pro pattern the best in my wolf and they kill game dead. 
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
    My son’s Traditions ML will load shockwave saboted bullets pretty easily. Hornady saboted bullets, not so much. Can be done but requires waaaayyyyyy more force than it should. Not sure what causes the difference, but Hornady saboted bullets apparently have a larger diameter.

I have a Traditions as well... I believe it's the Accelerator LT... anyway, with Hornady I have to clean the barrel between shots in order to get a bullet down the tube.  Not a huge deal at the bench, but it would make a follow up shot real tough.  Good news is it keeps things real consistent.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Ryan91027Ryan91027 Posts: 105 Deckhand

I have a Traditions as well... I believe it's the Accelerator LT... anyway, with Hornady I have to clean the barrel between shots in order to get a bullet down the tube.  Not a huge deal at the bench, but it would make a follow up shot real tough.  Good news is it keeps things real consistent.
    How much do you have to clean it? I had swabbed it between shots, and couldnt see any fouling. I did another thorough cleaning with soap and hot water last night, so Ill try it again. I wont be buying hornady sabots anymore.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 250 Deckhand
    Some sabots fit some guns.  We used to shoot patches and balls.  It's all about getting them started, then the rifling grooves are in place and they go down easy.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 586 Officer
    same problem with powerbelts   now i run a patch with bore butter down the barrel then grease the heck outa bullet   first 3 or 4 inches is tight but then no problem down to powder         doing this for years with no issues with anything.
    When I went to remove it the second time it got stuck when I greased the bullet, I had to use a mallet the whole way down to push it out the back. There are slight groove marks on the sabot, but im not sure how deep they are supposed to be
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 762 Officer
    If you have something else why are you fighting it? I have never seen the need to use bore butter on a properly fitting sabot. Just go with what your gun likes. 
    edited September 21 #12
    Those were the last three cast that I had, and I wanted to know if I was doing something wrong. Also, they were decently expensive and I dont want to waste em.

There wouldnt be any issues if I put the sabot in from the breech followed by the powder, and then seat it from the muzzle with the ram rod? it would take a lot longer to load though
  • jdipietrojdipietro Posts: 70 Deckhand
    Are you using .50 sabots? I almost bought a .50 bullet with a sabot before common sense hit me and I realized I had to downsize the bullet to compensate the sabot. I shoot the Hornady .45 in 250 grains in three different muzzleloaders without issue.
    My Knight Extreme? ML is over 18 years old, it has a stainless barrel. I still have the Knight Wolverine blued barrel I got in 1992. I have only used a light coat of mineral oil on the bores. No problem with rust and bores are whiney.. I use Superlube which is a synthetic lube in a squeeze tube for the breech plugs again no problems. I would try another brand of Sabots. I have some yellow Sabots with with yellow tipped bullets that might be SSTs?? That load nicely after the first shot but I like the all copper Barnes bullets better. 
    The yellow Sabots and bullets  are Thomson Center EZ Glide
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,002 Admiral
    edited September 21 #16
    RYAN , All I ever shot out of that Smokepole were Hornaday Powerbelts...That Rifle has layed down a fair amount of Bucks You need a T handle Bullet Starter as shown a couple posts ago.
    And quit using so much Bore Butter. 
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 610 Officer
    I would follow the previous owners recommendations. Just saying
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,157 Officer
    jdipietro said:
    Are you using .50 sabots? I almost bought a .50 bullet with a sabot before common sense hit me and I realized I had to downsize the bullet to compensate the sabot. I shoot the Hornady .45 in 250 grains in three different muzzleloaders without issue.
    This has been bugging me all afternoon since reading this. I know your 100% correct and all I've ever shot out of mine is sabot but I'm fresh out of them and I shoot a .45 caliber cva so anyone have an idea what the caliber of bullet would be? Like you said common sense would say a .40 caliber but ive never even thought of that. Swore everyone I ever bought just said .45 caliber sabot. I know thats what a powerbelt would be but the kit came with sabot and I love the way they shoot so never bought any other bullet for it
    A .45 caliber muzzleloader should have a .40 caliber slug/bullet for a .45 caliber sabot load. 
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 501 Deckhand
    I went through 4-5 different types of sabots before my gun found a happy one. 
    The worst one i tried was shock wave. The yellow sabot. It wouldn’t go down for nothing. 

I finally found a bullet that slides down nicely and shoot in great groups.  Traditions smack down carnivore. 

Point is. Every gun will like different types and you have to find it. It took me 8 years and finally found the one it really likes 
    edited September 22 #21
    Ill be buying a pack of powerbelts. Im just surprised that they wouldn't fit. Its a 45 cal slug in a red 50 cal sabot.
    How much bore butter should I use? I just did a light coating when cleaning, and a patch with a tiny bit on it to clean the barrel after a few shots. 
    Ryan91027 said:
    Ill be buying a pack of powerbelts. Im just surprised that they wouldn't fit. Its a 45 cal slug in a red 50 cal sabot.
    How much bore butter should I use? I just did a light coating when cleaning, and a patch with a tiny bit on it to clean the barrel after a few shots. 
    How much rust/pitting do you see when you look down the barrel?

I use sabots because they go down much easier. The plastic cup should easily conform to the shape of the barrel. The yellow shockwave sabots by Thompson center are a pain to get started compared to others but once started slide smoothly down the barrel. 
    H20dad said:
    Ryan91027 said:

I use sabots because they go down much easier. The plastic cup should easily conform to the shape of the barrel. The yellow shockwave sabots by Thompson center are a pain to get started compared to others but once started slide smoothly down the barrel. 
    There was a little surface rust, mainly near the muzzle. I got most of it of with a copper brush.
    edited September 22 #24
    Ryan91027 said:
    H20dad said:
    Ryan91027 said:

There was a little surface rust, mainly near the muzzle. I got most of it of with a copper brush.
    If it is near the muzzle then it is likely heavier in the barrel. Dry it out and brush the barrel until no rust dust falls out of it into a sheet of white paper. It could take a lot of effort. 
    It's not bad.. All Muzzleloaders get some Pitting and they'll rust pretty quick. No big problem.
    Sounds like you used the right amount just realize it will hold burnt powder residue some and after awhile it will Gumm up the bore as well. The hot water and dish soap is all I use then like you a patch with a little bore butter. Do it while the barrel is still hot from the cleanup.
    Powerbelts..just sayin..
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,348 Officer
    My old TC Hawkin cleaned up best with Ivory soap and hot water. I used shavings off a bar so it would liquify. Once clean flushed with just really hot water and it air dried very quickly. I used a very light amount of gun oil on a patch to fight any rust. That barrel is still very clean and still accurate today. I rarely shoot it anymore since I got the Wolf. Both are .50 cal. 
    I just ran a brush through the barrel dry, and nothing came out. I cant see any visible rust or pitting
    So run a lightly buttered patch down the barrel and load up a Powerbelt and go kill something..
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,585 Captain
    edited September 24 #29
    Found these in my muzzleloader box, they are yours if you want them Ryan....223,245, and 348 grain power belt  bullets from left to right.
    edited September 24 #30
    Sure, when is a good time for you?
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,585 Captain
    Sent you a PM Ryan