Home Off Topic

Will we see a replacement Supreme Court Justice before January 20th?

Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
I am betting that sadly Red team doesn't have the gonads to pull it off.

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,020 Moderator
    Careful now.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Thought it would be better than in the RIP thread... I never mentioned anyone by name. :wink:
    True., but it's a great troll for our newer members.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,559 AG
    edited September 19 #5
    no, nor should we. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• supratentorialsupratentorial FLPosts: 580 Officer
    Prepare yourselves for a few out of context google quotes as support for no pre-election appointment.
    edited September 19 #8
    Why shouldn't he appoint a new justice, He's still our president election day is still 6 weeks away and whoever wins won't be sworn in until january20.
    the last Supreme Court Justice died in February 2016. Why did the Senate refuse to appoint a new justice until the next President was elected then? That President had 11 months left.  We should follow the precedent set then and wait. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,017 Admiral
    cadman said:
    Why shouldn't he appoint a new justice, He's still our president election day is still 6 weeks away and whoever wins won't be sworn in until january20.
    the last Supreme Court Justice died in February 2016. Why did the Senate refuse to appoint a new justice until the next President was elected then? That President had 11 months left.  We should follow the precedent set then and wait. 
    That was a lame duck

I say go for it today. We will see
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,346 Admiral
    edited September 19 #11
    We should do whatever we did last time there was a election.  If I recall correctly the argument was to wait until after the election.  I expect people to be consistent with their views.  

They blatant hypocrisy (on both sides) needs to stop today.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,537 AG
    I think wait until after the election.  I don't see them getting someone confirmed by January anyway.

Captain Todd Approves

cadman said:
    That was a lame duck

I say go for it today. We will see
    Not in February of 2016. Do we not do anything, decision wise, the final year of any two term President? if the entire last year he is in office is lame duck. 

This could be a lame duck President. At least wait until after November 3rd to see if he is a lame duck or not, 

Mini Mart Magnate

• dogman18dogman18 Posts: 432 Deckhand
    There won't be winners  either way,imo.

“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.”
    ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 11,533 AG
    Do it. The anarchists will try and start a civil war either way.
    I remember a wise almost biblical figure once saying elections have conservatives 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,537 AG
    You guys get taught anything in elementary school?  A lame duck president occurs between an election and the swearing in when there is an outgoing president and a president elect.  So help me God if you have to Google "president elect".

Captain Todd Approves

• Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,629 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    You guys get taught anything in elementary school?  A lame duck president occurs between an election and the swearing in when there is an outgoing president and a president elect.  So help me God if you have to Google "president elect".
    Don't Make Me Pull Over And Stop The Intranet!
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • BinderBinder Posts: 4,003 Captain
    Don’t worry, crisis adverted.

You guys are safe from the boogeymen.
    The crisis is in your mind. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited September 19 #21
    There are no new members.

Mini Mart Magnate

I apologize. You are correct.I

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,775 Captain
    edited September 19 #24
    Go for it. Its a cultural war for the heart and soul of America. A Court that will reverse some of the evil decisions made by previous Courts is worth it. 

Meh, ain't none of them gonna reverse "corporations are people". And until they do and maybe reverse most of the patriot act back to same rules we had pre 9-11.......we will keep heading down this same road. Enjoy the ride.
    mplspug said:
    That's half of the definition. Ots also an outgoing politician who's term has run its course and awaiting the election of a successor 

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 707 Officer
    edited September 19 #26
    The segment that are permitting the riots and assaulting police will go crazy and burn the country down before they allow a new justice to be appointed before November.

That said, the new justice should be appointed immediately to avoid getting one who may side with the above people.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 2,238 Captain
    If a new precedent contrary to what has been stated before by those calling the shots is set this year, if power should shift in the election all bets on precedent and decorum will be off the table next year.

The Court could easily be expanded to balance power, or even largely expanded to shift power. Puerto Rico and DC could be forced through as states, and the filibuster rule could be out the window.

If that happens, those that broke it, will have no leg to stand on or cry foul.
    If a new precedent contrary to what has been stated before by those calling the shots is set this year, if power should shift in the election all bets on precedent and decorum will be off the table next year.

The Court could easily be expanded to balance power, or even largely expanded to shift power. Puerto Rico and DC could be forced through as states, and the filibuster rule could be out the window.

What the devil are you talking about, that’s not a new plan for getting even, it’s the original plan.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 2,238 Captain
    edited September 19 #29
    dave44 said:

What the devil are you talking about, that’s not a new plan for getting even, it’s the original plan.
    Perhaps, and perhaps not, no way to know for sure. But it will be a lot easier if they are given all the cover they need.

First thing, add a district, and expand the court to thirteen.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Bummer.... the constitution says the potus nominates and the senate affirms. No rule about election year or waiting.  That method has been affirmed by the previous White House occupant and the nominee of the blue party.

There is plenty of time.
    I forgot, every event is cover for something nefarious.