Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Gettin Crabs in the Keys... ;)

Haha okay, sorry for the provocative title but serious question for anyone who might know. 

I love soaking a few blue crab traps when I'm in Pensacola chasing red snapper and do fairly well. For the first time it looks like I'll be able to bring a few traps to the keys. Scoured "the Google" for information and it seems fairly scarce on whether you can catch blue crab with any consistency in the mid/lower keys. 

Seems like some guys use the smaller ones for permit/tarpon bait, which means, they gotta be around right? Was thinking I'd drop a few in the back country in about 7ish FOW where there's a little bit of current (similar to what we do in P-cola) and see what happens? At worst I might come back with some bait? Any thoughts? 

Also, does anyone know if you can keep a Stone Crab (claws only I know) if it crawls into your blue crab trap? Can't find ANYTHING on that topic other than stone crab specific traps have a very specific look and regulations while blue crab traps have their own specific regs. Just curious if anyone knows. 

Thanks again for the help!

Replies

• Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 119 Deckhand
    edited September 18 #2
    Lots of blue crabs in the lower keys. One friend uses - iirc - pieces of ray tied to mangrove branches with a length of paracord. Ray because it's tough. Crabs are there still feeding when he comes back and he just nets them. Claims not using traps cuts down on trap theft (duh1) and he catches just as many this way.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
    Haha okay, sorry for the provocative title but serious question for anyone who might know. 

I love soaking a few blue crab traps when I'm in Pensacola chasing red snapper and do fairly well. For the first time it looks like I'll be able to bring a few traps to the keys. Scoured "the Google" for information and it seems fairly scarce on whether you can catch blue crab with any consistency in the mid/lower keys. 

Seems like some guys use the smaller ones for permit/tarpon bait, which means, they gotta be around right? Was thinking I'd drop a few in the back country in about 7ish FOW where there's a little bit of current (similar to what we do in P-cola) and see what happens? At worst I might come back with some bait? Any thoughts? 

Also, does anyone know if you can keep a Stone Crab (claws only I know) if it crawls into your blue crab trap? Can't find ANYTHING on that topic other than stone crab specific traps have a very specific look and regulations while blue crab traps have their own specific regs. Just curious if anyone knows. 

Thanks again for the help!
    No matter what you do, I don't think you're going to catch the same numbers or size down there that you're used to in PNS.  Good luck, though.  If you have success, please let us know.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    50 years ago we used to get plenty blue crabs in the salt ponds in Key West with just chicken on a string but times have changed so who knows.The local name for blue crabs was sea finnagees 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• BwarrenBwarren Posts: 46 Deckhand
    There’s a few around but and you can trap them. As far as keeping stones as by catch yes but they aren’t in season currently. 
  • mikegoblue2002mikegoblue2002 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Thanks guys! WIll definitely post how I do when I'm down in Dec.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 989 Officer
    Apparently, the lower Keys have some undersea freshwater springs that folks do successfully catch eating size blue crabs. Cudjoe and Key West for sure. I have tried a little in the middle keys with chicken parts with little success, but I do want to try some more.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • piner_wahoo1piner_wahoo1 keysPosts: 314 Deckhand
    very kold  weather or a trip to coconuts...