Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Advice needed - freshwater Suwannee fishing

I’m taking the fam to Mayo next month to paddle and fish Suwannee River.  I’m purely a saltwater guy so I was hoping for a few tips to help my 4 yo son get a tight line.  Thank you!

Replies

• jawrayjawray Posts: 359 Deckhand
    The river has been really high and fishing it will be tough. We usually stay at Suwannee River Rendezvous Campground. I did find an awesome little public lake there called Townsend Pond just 5 minutes south of the campground. If you look at google map you’ll see it. 
  • aventers1973aventers1973 Posts: 28 Deckhand
    I have done several overnight trips on the Suwannee. During the day a basic beetle spin will catch a lot of panfish you can also find a deep bend and drop some dead shrimp for some catfish. In the evening a silver or gold rapala shallow diver either worked on top water using a twitch twitch pause retrieve or reel it in a couple turns, twitch it hard and pause for a second will work for bass and panfish. Work the cyprus trees hard on the back side of the current where the eddys form, lots of fish sit there to ambush bait/bugs. Good luck!
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 411 Deckhand
    Ditto to what Aventers said.  If going for panfish a small black and yellow striped beetle spin works great.  If you put a vary small piece of fresh dead shrimp tail peeled on the hook it will dramatically increase the number of strikes.  I also like to use a small 2 hook rapala.  Cast it to structure and just let it sit.  Usually the redbellies or stumpnockers will nail it.  A super small rebel crankbait also works, but they like it cast and then just let sit.  They typically do not like it worked.  A black blue crawfish like a gulp on a jig head works good for bass.  Fresh dead shrimp is the ticket for catfish, or river mussels cracked open.  A light weight fly rod is also good for tossing a popping bug and let it sit, just like the rapala.  Good luck and have fun!
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,107 Officer
    Much appreciated!  Are all the species of catfish in the river good eating?  My experience is solely with slimy sail cats.  Bottom fishing is easiest for my 4 yo
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 411 Deckhand
    Any of the freshwater catfish in the river should be good eating.  Channel Cats are most prevalent.  Fresh dead shrimp or chicken livers should work.