Home Boating

Suzuki 4 stroke sputtering upon starting

poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 215 Deckhand
200h Suzuki 4 stroke just turned 8 years old, no previous issues & up to date on services. Last couple trips it's taken a couple tries to start and struggled for a few seconds before starting. Thus far it has not yet failed to start, and runs fine once on, but obviously I don't want to ignore it and keep fishing and simply hope it'll start up again each time I shut down to fish.

We're thinking it's maybe the idle control valve or something with the computer. It's in the shop now & they're not sure but will do their best to troubleshoot and fix. Does this issue ring a bell with anybody?

Replies

• 18Egret18Egret Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Sounds like a bad MASS air sensor. It's located on the intake manifold,
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,456 Officer
    Make sure no rain can get into the ignition key slot. Some people leave the key in the ignition lock to keep water from entering, but if you do not do that place a rubber leg cap over the ignition key switch when the boat is not in use. Moisture in the ignition key switch can cause sputtering at start up. At least it did on my Zuke when the early keys (20 years ago) did not prevent rain or spray from entering.
    Giimoozaabi
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 766 Officer
    Instead of speculating and possibly getting stranded, get it scoped. You can spend more $ arbitrarily replacing parts than a diagnosis will cost.
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 102 Deckhand
    Always amazes me when your car develops a problem you take it and get it fixed. When your outboard develops a problem you seek advice from everybody but a mechanic. Not picking on you it just seems like the majority does it. Spoken by someone that turned wrenches on boats for 20plus years.
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 215 Deckhand
    Of course, it's at the mechanic already. They didn't have any immediate thoughts as to what the issue was but will do their best to troubleshoot. Just posted here since it's on my mind and wanted to see if any other suzuki owners here had similar experience 
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 735 Officer
    Even if you take your boat or car to a mechanic, it is a good idea to have an understanding of what are the possible causes and solutions, otherwise you could be hit with a $1,500 bill for changing the ball bearings at the muffler  exit, not to mention that the #s of so call mechanics that do nothing but through parts at a problem has multiply lately, when I take my truck or OB to a mechanic I already know what the problem is and what to do.   My wife took her brand new SUV to the dealer because a front bearing was making noise, they told her the problem was the tires were cupping and wanted to sell her a set of tires on a 25K miles new car, of course I went with her the next day and the problem was solved.