Home General Hunting

picayune strand 9/12

Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 91 Deckhand
edited September 2020 in General Hunting #1
hope you guys had some luck. I stalked a few does to see how close I could get but besides that I did 7 waterlogged miles. In retrospect I'm happy I didn't see a shooter after the noon, my rifle go so wet it took multiple attempts to set the powder off, and I couldn't get my ramrod out of the stock.
Stopped by FWC twice who were totally professional. Saw a trio on a swamp buggy with a couple of 4points. I'll post some pictures when my phone dries out.

Replies

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Nice post 
    Thanks for sharing 
    Looks like some tough hunting down there for sure.
  • Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 119 Deckhand
    Love these types of posts. Thanks for the report!
  • Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 91 Deckhand
    thanks.
    hunting wasn't as rough as it would be in other WMAs, plenty of growth but with the roads mostly cleared I walked a little over 7 miles with minimal effort (besides dragging my out of shape self 7 miles)
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,624 Captain
    back in the 60s my family and group of friends leased 6000 acres right where Picayune is today. I remember years when we would shoot 20 to 25 nice bucks. 

One of the saddest days of my life was the day we went to train our hounds and found the place had been bulldozed and blocked off. I believe it was 1970.

I am glad to see the game is coming back it got over hunted and too much brown is down mentality lead to a poor deer herd.

Just give mother nature a chance she will bounce back.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 728 Officer
    picayune will slowly go down hill as far as deer numbers go          first they will make archery a quota hunt      then give out less quotas for every hunt still trying to figure out why numbers keep going down and of course they will blame hunting      but fact is no hogs so texas cougars gotta eat only thing left and thats the deer      or a goat from time to time from one of the residents.     shame cause the  place has a lot of potential.     you can,t remove the number one food source from the top invasive predator and expect mother nature or theresa to fix the problem.