Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Kayak spots

Hey everyone just got a new kayak and was wondering some good spots in the Titusville/ponce I should try. Ive fished the Titusville/ Merritt island refuge from shore for a few years but recently the water quality has been pretty bad in the area so im hesitant to try there on the new kayak. Looking for some better inshore spots id love to hear some suggestions thanks! 

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    I will give you the same suggestion I gave other friends that live in the middle of the state...go the other way. You will be better served with a ride to the west coast.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Can't speak to the west coast since I've done very little fishing over there, but duckman knows his stuff. In my area I'd try the islands & creeks between edgewater and the north end of mosquito lagoon. JB's fish camp is a good spot to launch on the east side, or riverbreeze on the west side.
  • skankin pickleskankin pickle Posts: 52 Deckhand
    edited September 5 #4
    couple suggestions for you. copy/paste the locations into your browser. i have fished them all. some spots have been more productive than others. duckmanjr, did bring up a good point about hitting the west coast. i have been going over to crystal river and the snook/red bite has been pretty good. anyways, hope it helps and let me know how you do. 

M5HF+39 Mims, Florida

Q62H+J7 Allenhurst, Florida

V4WW+HM Oak Hill, Florida

X3QX+H4 Edgewater, Florida

23HW+VJ New Smyrna Beach, Florida (pretty good tide push, so be careful, time it so you ride the tide to your spot, then back to the launch).

29.078116, -80.953089

32JP+XF New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    rise and shine, it's fishing time!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Thec reason I bring up the west coast is not because there are no fish here...but with a kayak you just can't cover ground you normally need to. Since there is no seagrass habitat....you have to work other types and hit a lot of them. The west coast has expansive grass flats.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • DomCapDomCap OrlandoPosts: 7 Deckhand
    Awesome thanks for all the recommendations I really appreciate it. Ill get back to everyone once I fish these spots and let you know how I did thanks again! 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 711 Officer
    couple suggestions for you. copy/paste the locations into your browser. i have fished them all. some spots have been more productive than others. duckmanjr, did bring up a good point about hitting the west coast. i have been going over to crystal river and the snook/red bite has been pretty good. anyways, hope it helps and let me know how you do. 

M5HF+39 Mims, Florida

23HW+VJ New Smyrna Beach, Florida (pretty good tide push, so be careful, time it so you ride the tide to your spot, then back to the launch).

29.078116, -80.953089

I'll be darned - they work on Google Earth, too, but the NSB one seems quite a bit inland and north.....??

M5HF+39 Mims, Florida

29.078116, -80.953089

I really appreciate the help. The first spot I chose from the list got me a nice red! cant wait to try the rest 
    edited September 22 #9
    very nice, how was the water clarity? it was really clear before we starting gettin lots of rain over the last four months, then it got really, really dirty. looks pretty good from your pic? which way did you go, north or south?

the trout bit gets really good in that area too. i have seen some big reds and black drum roaming the flats. glad you got on some fish.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,514 Captain
    Nice looking red....congrats
    very nice, how was the water clarity? it was really clear before we starting gettin lots of rain over the last four months, then it got really, really dirty. looks pretty good from you pic? which way did you go, north or south?

the trout bit gets really good in that area too. i have seen some big reds and black drum roaming the flats. glad you got on some fish.
    I launched from edgewater that day and went north, the water was definitely a lot cleaner than where I had been fishing in Titusville but is still sort of green and murky. there’s definitely some fish to be caught out there though! Also got a nice size trout on top water the other morning.  Thanks for all the help, also ive been using mainly artificial out there. Do you tend to stick to artificial or bait more? 
    edited September 22 #12
    ha, i read your comment wrong. i thought you launched from the first spot on the list (mims). i'm an artificial guy. i start off with topwater (spook jr), then stalk the flats for a bit (if you're around any) then look for some deeper water as the sun gets higher. i have had pretty good luck with artificial shrimp on a popping cork. when the water is dirty, it does pretty well as a "search bait."

yeah EW gets a little more flow being closer to ponce and helps push some cleaner water down (and suck it out the dirty). what part of o-town you in? i'm in winter park.