Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Whitebait from shore?

Hi,

I don't have a boat and wade from shore.  I am trying to cast net for whitebait.  Any areas in the Sarasota bay or lower Tampa bay area that I could get whitebait from shore?  Thanks

Replies

• Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 6 Deckhand
  • Jox_in_a_BoxJox_in_a_Box Spring HillPosts: 10 Deckhand
    I know the skyway piers hold bait a lot.
    edited August 30 #4
    I know the skyway piers hold bait a lot.
    Thanks.  How do I catch it?  Do I use a net or sabiki etc.?  Seems like it might be hard to cast net from a bridge(?).
  • cortrcortr Posts: 283 Deckhand
    Take a bucket with a rope attached. A lot of boaters will give you a bucket full if they get more than they need. 
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,378 Captain
    I would use purina tropical fish food and chum them up.  If they are around, that will usually pull them in.  Then throw a cast net on them.  1/4" or 3/8" depending on the size....  Good luck.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • Reel SpeedReel Speed Posts: 40 Deckhand
    3//8 net at least 1 1/2 lbs per foot or #8 Hyabusa green sabiki. Off the skyway pier. 

2000 Bluewater 2550 w/ twin yamaha f 200's
    edited August 31 #8
    Thank you all for your comments.  Went to the skyway today and didn't get anything with white sabikis.  Also threw cast net but mine is too small, only like 4' across.  I will try your suggestions.
  • MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 104 Deckhand
    You can get pins at the skyway if you tip your sabiki with a small bit of squid
    Regulator 24fs
    23' Pursuit CC
    "Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson 
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 311 Deckhand
    The gulf beaches are loaded with bait this time of year. Your small cast net will work fine from the beach.
    The gulf beaches are loaded with bait this time of year. Your small cast net will work fine from the beach.
    Yup thanks.  Tried Anna Maria beach but too many waves and seaweed.  Only got a couple of whitebait.  I did buy a big bag of Purina Tropical fish food and I'm going to try that at the beach when the waves calm down and seaweed goes away.  I also might try the inter-coastal around bridges(?).
    So when you go to the skyway pier they charge $4/car and another $4 per person or $8 total.  Do you do that just to get bait?  I know it's not a huge amount but I'd rather not if there's somewhere else.  Thanks
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 311 Deckhand
    Yup thanks.  Tried Anna Maria beach but too many waves and seaweed.  Only got a couple of whitebait.  I did buy a big bag of Purina Tropical fish food and I'm going to try that at the beach when the waves calm down and seaweed goes away.  I also might try the inter-coastal around bridges(?).
    Yeah I know what you mean about that red drift weed. It keeps getting worse every year. The last two years have been particularly bad. Over the past several years the water quality is really going down the toilet and will only get worse as the FL population continues to increase.
  • shempshemp Posts: 613 Officer
    If you're wade fishing, go to whatever flat you are heading to and try blind netting edge of grass/sand potholes.  Dollar store catfood can work for chum.  Get a bigger, heavier net.  Never been a fan of netting off a causeway or bridge but people do it.  Never had much luck on sabiki'ing whitebait either but it can be done